Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just up the hill from me. It's a nice place, there is a random pizza place that is just down the road at Jacob Creek that is only open on weekends. Hand made wood fired pizza and cold Morettis looking out over the hills, great spot for lunch. Looks like some dude blew his super making a random business but glad it's there.
Just like all pubs up there , the Kevington Pub is amazing but you never know if its going to be open when you get there

My family were Gippsland farmers and one of the aunts has the old leader books from when they sold goods to Walhalla. They were getting rich off the miners up there. When it the gold dried up it hit them.

Someone in my family drove the stagecoach.
We have a diary full of stuff like ..
" Picked up bag of wheat from ......, delivered to Mrs Jenkins ".

My grandmother's father worked in the long tunnel mine. Probably died young because of it. None of the small miners did any good out of Walhalla.
When they decided the mine was no longer viable, they just closed up shop. Town over.
Funny enough the mine would be viable now, except they flooded it with arsenic saturated water.

Yes i know all about him but i don't see what your point is , we are talking about Collard and hoping he doesn't get home sick ect , Kickett is a perfect example of a bloke that did get home sick so we don't want Lance being anything like Kickett
"Many descendants of these pioneers have played for numerous AFL teams, leaving an immesurable legacy to the game." Like all Saints supporters I hope 1. Lance Collard gets a game with the Saints and 2 leaves an immesurable legacy to the game playing with the Saints. Re Dale Kickett, I was disappointed he left the Saints after 1 season - I don't recall why he left . I was pleased he had a distinguished AFL career and I would have been more pleased if that was at the Saints. I see your point re Kickett.

Anyway, I will now focus on enjoying what I hope is Collard's long and successful career with the Saints.

"Many descendants of these pioneers have played for numerous AFL teams, leaving an immesurable legacy to the game." Like all Saints supporters I hope 1. Lance Collard gets a game with the Saints and 2 leaves an immesurable legacy to the game playing with the Saints. Re Dale Kickett, I was disappointed he left the Saints after 1 season - I don't recall why he left . I was pleased he had a distinguished AFL career and I would have been more pleased if that was at the Saints. I see your point re Kickett.

Anyway, I will now focus on enjoying what I hope is Collard's long and successful career with the Saints.
Yeah it was bummer he didn't stay longer , was good to watch.

That derby game was ripper , god he went off his nut

Someone in my family drove the stagecoach.
We have a diary full of stuff like ..
" Picked up bag of wheat from ......, delivered to Mrs Jenkins ".

My grandmother's father worked in the long tunnel mine. Probably died young because of it. None of the small miners did any good out of Walhalla.
When they decided the mine was no longer viable, they just closed up shop. Town over.
Funny enough the mine would be viable now, except they flooded it with arsenic saturated water.
I was talking to a few old locals up there a few weeks ago and they said there would still be plenty of gold left but the cost to get it would not be worth it

I was talking to a few old locals up there a few weeks ago and they said there would still be plenty of gold left but the cost to get it would not be worth it

Yep, you can't just pump the water out of the mine and into the creek when its full of arsenic.

Yep, you can't just pump the water out of the mine and into the creek when its full of arsenic.

I stopped in at Cassilis on the way back from the hills. We had some dead ancestors up there and at the old mine sites there are warnings for all the arsenic sands still in the area.

I loved watching Dale Kickett playing for St Kilda.

From memory he got picked up in the 1992 pre-season draft and didn’t shift over to Melbourne. His first game for us was against West Coast in Perth Round 3, the team he had just left, and he didn’t even know any of his new Saints teammates !.

Ended up kicking 20.30 for the season which was a pretty fair return.

Distinctly remember him hitting Plugger lace out on more than a few occasions.

I think it's the name and he's quite tanned usually. Neville Bonner was an indigenous politician and it's a name that is synonymous because of that maybe.

Yeah I could have sworn he was indigenous but no idea what evidence I’d seen for that
1705181407971.png
the St Kilda legend dropped past his old club as part of the club’s Open Training session last week to give all six of the club’s Indigenous men’s players a copy of his new book. Photo would seem to indicate Bonner not one of our indigenous players.

Last edited:
Over the moon for this debut ... it's been a huge move heading east, but he has absolutely put in the work and been rewarded.

Looking at the team sheet, it's pretty clear that Ross Mk.2 (Cuddly Ross, Boss Strikes Back, whatever we want to call it ...) is embracing a policy of "Age is just a number ... if they're good enough, they're eligible to be picked", which is going to transform this list, as the young blokes get to 40+ games of experience into them at the top level.

Here's hoping for a solid debut, with perhaps a magic moment thrown in for the fans to gush over :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back