Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LEO CONNOLLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Leo Connolly
Gippsland Power | Defender
7/08/2001 | 180cm | 72kg

Stats: 19 disposals (16 kicks), 3 marks, 3 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s

Our scouts said: “Connolly’s excellent form continued on Saturday as he again took the game on with great intent from the back half… baulking around opponents and cutting through the corridor with dare before generally executing a pinpoint pass.” – Craig Byrnes

Verdict: Has been impressive in the back end of the year after putting in a number of consistent games previously with much of Gippsland’s core absent. Connolly is really starting to shine with his use by foot on either side and is a player who can become a real metres-gained asset from the back half or further afield. He’s silky on the ball and his impact on this game among a stacked Gippsland line-up shows his worth, so keep an eye on the state combine invitee.

From Foxsport write up.

“Outside midfielder Leo Connolly rounded out St Kilda’s selections and had a consistent season. He has speed to burn and can get the ball moving inside 50 with speed, where he uses it well by foot.”

Looks like the Saints are aiming for a fast play-on style of game, which WIN , lose or draw is going to be pretty exciting to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speed and good foot skills are a good starting base to develop from. Also like that he is described as 'creative' since thats the stuff you can't teach a player.

Sounds like he need to find a contested game and learn to tackle, plus put on some size.

Looks like someone who could play half back or half forward, so the versatility is good. Give him some time with Slater to learn how to tackle and he could be a good prospect. The write up makes him sounds like a hardworking and determined kid, which likely contributed to us picking him up since it sounds like he is the type of apply himself to find an inside game rather than stay as an outside only mid.

The write up makes him sounds like a hardworking and determined kid, which likely contributed to us picking him up since it sounds like he is the type of apply himself to find an inside game rather than stay as an outside only mid.

Attitude is a huge part of making it.
Appears we have done not too badly after all considering the draft hand we had. Especially as Byrnes appears to have been a pretty good slider according to what we have read.

All in all, together with our trading, this appears to have been a very positive off season.

Looks like he is basically a like for like on White. Not sure why we didn't hang onto Brandon, maybe an attitude thing?

Good luck to him. Long odds to make it but he has pace and foot skills so will get his chance.

Looks like he is basically a like for like on White. Not sure why we didn't hang onto Brandon, maybe an attitude thing?

Good luck to him. Long odds to make it but he has pace and foot skills so will get his chance.

Isn’t he much shorter and apparently also much quicker? Possibly a different attitude too. Similar though in that they’re both male.

Isn’t he much shorter and apparently also much quicker? Possibly a different attitude too. Similar though in that they’re both male.

I was looking at them both as HBFs with great kicks?

Seems the knock on him is the contested stuff. Now, as a fellow skinny bloke, I can sympathise somewhat. Getting smashed when you’re a bag of bones isn’t fun. But if he can thicken up a bit then maybe he doesn’t fear contact as much? It’s just training that into him after 10 years of him doing the opposite will be key.

Seems the knock on him is the contested stuff. Now, as a fellow skinny bloke, I can sympathise somewhat. Getting smashed when you’re a bag of bones isn’t fun. But if he can thicken up a bit then maybe he doesn’t fear contact as much? It’s just training that into him after 10 years of him doing the opposite will be key.
I'm not worried at all. Some players play a completely uncontested game and are key elements to their sides ball movement. Think Jake Lloyd / older Joey. Judging him by his role at NAB League, that's what he should be striving toward.

The pressure is on , do I select Leo as his player advocate because we share the same last name or do I save the kids career and pick someone else ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The pressure is on , do I select Leo as his player advocate because we share the same last name or do I save the kids career and pick someone else ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe take a complete break this year...for the good of the team, you know 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back