Toast Welcome to St Kilda Mason Wood

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason's presser from today;

I highly recommend everyone listen to this if you haven't already.

He's extremely honest about why he thinks he hasn't succeeded and what he thinks he needs to improve (eg didn't have the football/life balance right) and listening to him talk about how exciting the list is ("super") and where this team can go it's pretty exciting. And you can tell he means it.

Says he loves the game plan and how everyone's encouraged to play to their strengths.

If he's ever going to get the best out of himself you'd think it would be now. Fitness pending.

Also loved hearing "Higgo tore it up today"!

"Higgo and Butts had about 12 shots between them"! :)

Last edited:
I highly recommend everyone listen to this if you haven't already.

He's extremely honest about why he thinks he hasn't succeeded and what he thinks he needs to improve (eg didn't have the football/life balance right) and listening to him talk about how exciting the list is ("super") and where this team can go it's pretty exciting. And you can tell he means it.

Says he loves the game plan and how everyone's encouraged to play to their strengths.

If he's ever going to get the best out of himself you'd think it would be now. Fitness pending.

Also loved hearing "Higgo tore it up today"!

"Higgo and Butts had about 12 shots between them"! :)
I think that last 10 seconds was about Max King

McKernan is more a back-up as a 2nd ruck/forward while Wood covers more a Membrey or Battle sized player.
Fair point..
I do wonder what the plan is post Paddy.

We're far enough back in the midseason draft to miss out on the real cream, and we could well have listed a young ruckman for the sake of having a look at him.
I'm more than comfortable with our management on all fronts now, but this one l do not get...

Leaves him on a list and in the big show for at leadt one more year without having to look at real lower paying jobs.

Mason Wood said something along those lines.

He's been a solid player Mc Kernan, He was always that kind of unlucky to not get any continuity type. Kevin Bartlett always used to be bemused by why he was the first dropped when others were equally poor. He looks the type that if he'd found a Ratts style positive coach at some point his career might have been different.

He's been a solid player Mc Kernan, He was always that kind of unlucky to not get any continuity type. Kevin Bartlett always used to be bemused by why he was the first dropped when others were equally poor. He looks the type that if he'd found a Ratts style positive coach at some point his career might have been different.
It's really too late for him at StKilda. He's not going to displace Roma, Paddy, King or Battle and as a dedicated forward Mason is probably gonna get the nod unless it's to replace Ming.

Mason's presser from today;

Spoke pretty well. Fairly humble and seems excited to be here.
Off to a good start

Should be a handy depth player for us, his best games for North were very good but he lacked consistency and seemed to go missing a fair bit.

He probably wasn't helped by playing in an average to poor team though that focused most of their forward entries on Ben Brown, in a better team like ours with a better spread of forward entries he might be able to get the best out of himself more often.

That being said it will be hard for him to break into our team unless we have injuries, he will probably be like Marsh playing the odd game here and there but there is a chance he could be like Butler and make the most of his 2nd chance to become a regular starter for us.

Fair point..

We're far enough back in the midseason draft to miss out on the real cream, and we could well have listed a young ruckman for the sake of having a look at him.
I'm more than comfortable with our management on all fronts now, but this one l do not get...
I have finding a Ryder replacement - whether thats a forward who can ruck or another ruck - as our biggest list management need right now.

We need to decide if long term we want Marshall to be a full time ruck or if we like Marshall as his hybrid ruck/fwd and need to find someone else who can play alongside him.

I have finding a Ryder replacement - whether thats a forward who can ruck or another ruck - as our biggest list management need right now.

We need to decide if long term we want Marshall to be a full time ruck or if we like Marshall as his hybrid ruck/fwd and need to find someone else who can play alongside him.
I think its like judging an artwork before its finished...Gags, Lethlean and Co are the artists and there are a few nuanced pieces of finesse, patience is a must ..I think there may be even some duplication occurring and I guess that's a necessity, but in the long run the picture is coming into focus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably comes down to whether we see King playing 2nd ruck at all. Beyond just the F50 boundary throw ins.
Obviously at his age now we are avoiding sending him to centre bounces but as he fills out that may change.

Either way we need another ruckman incase Marshall gets injured for when Ryder does call time.

Fair point..

We pray that the Dees have a shocker of a year and that Gawn gets itchy feet.
🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Fair point..

Life post Ryder will be Marshall and King. Just because 2 rucks has worked with those 2 doesn't mean we need to force it with another 2. It's also meant players like Battle and Membrey have been forced out of position by one of Marshall/Ryder resting forward all the time.

Being uncharitable, but gives the “could be anything” Acres/Stanley vibe. 3-4 great games, and who knows about the rest.

Life post Ryder will be Marshall and King. Just because 2 rucks has worked with those 2 doesn't mean we need to force it with another 2. It's also meant players like Battle and Membrey have been forced out of position by one of Marshall/Ryder resting forward all the time.
The only issue I have with this is Marshall isn't a tap ruckman with a significant leap (but could continue to evolve his game and skills to develop this).

The leap and tap is needed to have the sort of midfield ascendancy we enjoyed this season with Ryder. It's not the be all and end all, but the game works so much better on your terms when you get the first clear tap to advantage.

This may be of some small interest.

I know masons dad but I'm not in contact with him.
I had a very long lunch on Sunday with someone who is always in contact with John.

Mason came up.
Firstly, John is extremely fit. He's 61. And has always been fit. I actually said that John was a late bloomer. Which was agreed to.

He has a full gym setup.
He said Mason had smashed it all summer. He's been doing two weight sessions a day. And John thought that sometimes he was going too hard and maybe doing too much.

So I don't think his work ethic can be questioned. Let's hope he brings something.

Oh and he was receiving staff texts of 'Owenda' weeks ago.
So someone knew he was going to be taken.

Here's our oldest players and when we picked them up:

Ryder (signed before 2020 season)
Geary
Frawley (2021)
McKernan (2021)
Hannebery (2019)
Roberton
Carlisle
Ross
Webster
Hill (2020)
Wood (2021)
Crouch (2021)
Kent (2019)

8 of our oldest 13 have been signed in the last couple of years. Not to mention Abbott and Sam Rowe in that period as well, but they didn't stick.

Again highlights that our recruiting was terrible for a while, as we all know.

It also highlights how much the introduction of the new franchises hurt us.

A fair whack of those players were taken during the compromised drafts... when we didn’t have access to picks as high as we should have.

We actually did ok getting Ross & Jweb as 2nd & 3rd round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being uncharitable, but gives the “could be anything” Acres/Stanley vibe. 3-4 great games, and who knows about the rest.

For a pick 47 Stanley has had pretty decent career.

With what we expended to Hickey and Longer we would have done better to have kept Stanley and used the extra picks to have picked up others.

With what we expended to Hickey and Longer we would have done better to have kept Stanley and used the extra picks to have picked up others.

i think he had destroyed stanleys confidence. i think he had to move for his own good.

I liked him but he got injured a lot.
Not many years he's played a full season.

How many injuries do we need for him to play?
Or rephrased..........If Wood plays good, would we play Wood, or would Wood only play if we only could play Wood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back