Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - Matthew Allison

Remove this Banner Ad

His highlights are pretty uninspiring to put it nicely but they’re from his underage year which isn’t the end of the world. Looks like we’re basing almost everything off the two practice matches he played at the start of the year. Doubt there’s any footage but I’d love to see it.

i doubt it's just the two practice matches

you do get the difference between recruiters and bloggers right...

like i would get it if there were recruiters out there claiming allison won't go in the 1st round... but that didn't happen. we had some random blogger claimed he would go at pick 50 something and that was used as evidence to suggest we reached.
You must think others on here are pretty daft if we don't understand the difference between recruiters and bloggers - my earlier point was that both groups would have a spectrum of people who all have a difference of opinion, and to me, there would be some bloggers out there who do know their stuff (and as I said, some are paid staff for sporting media organisations to post their opinions on the matter).

No, I am agreeing with you. We didn't reach at all.

There was enough phantom drafts around to understand that the Hyphen was being considered in the twenties, with the early twenties being the very earliest he would go. I think we were just in front of the sweet (acceptable to some?) spot for him, but that's fine by me. He is a long term prospect so you are banking on further development, and I am more than happy with the decision made.

we had some random blogger claimed he would go at pick 50 something and that was used as evidence to suggest we reached.
No I formed that opinion from the Fox coverage. I assume that ranking was provided by Kevin Sheehan who was on the panel that night - and who would know a hell of a lot more than any of us.

No I formed that opinion from the Fox coverage. I assume that ranking was provided by Kevin Sheehan who was on the panel that night - and who would know a hell of a lot more than any of us.

Every player is a ripper according to Sheahan.

Kevin Sheehan is an AFL Recruiter is he?

You know what they say about assumptions...

i doubt it's just the two practice matches
Hence the “almost” everything. Obviously athleticism is playing a part as well but I’ve watched 8 mini highlight videos that are about 2-3 minutes each and there’s barely a good moment in them. My guess is they’re basing a lot of it on the practice matches and that he was going to have a breakout year. We have to guess of course because we’ve gotten nothing from the recruitment team.

Boy some get their panties in a knot when the club doesn't pick who they wanted, I'm betting plenty of homework has been put into both the boys we picked , how about keeping your powder dry and give the boy's a chance before making half assed statements about kids you know nothing about.

Boy some get their panties in a knot when the club doesn't pick who they wanted, I'm betting plenty of homework has been put into both the boys we picked , how about keeping your powder dry and give the boy's a chance before making half assed statements about kids you know nothing about.
Well said

Need to remember that at the start of last season, Allison was supposedly just 184cm, so he would have been playing a completely different role to the one he was playing in those two praccy matches at the start of this season, so those two games would have carried a very significant amount of weight.

Need to remember that at the start of last season, Allison was supposedly just 184cm, so he would have been playing a completely different role to the one he was playing in those two praccy matches at the start of this season, so those two games would have carried a very significant amount of weight.
Wowza. You mean start of 2019, Aus?

Every player is a ripper according to Sheahan.
Well he apparently had him ranked beyond 50 so I don't understand the point of what you posted. I'm just telling a poster where I got my information from because they think people are stupid enough to get it from a blog of a random nobody.

Kevin Sheehan is an AFL Recruiter is he?

You know what they say about assumptions...
Did I say he was? You thought I got that from a blogger. He has been around the draft for years. Besides the point anyway. You said people got it from a blog. They might have, but it certainly wasn't where I got it from. You can question the credibility of it if you want, I just wanted to inform you of where I got the information because you clearly had no idea. You delegitimize opinions when you assume and pass things off as fact which you've done here so I wanted to address this to not let you make me out to seem like some halfwit that got it from a blog. That's all.

Good luck to him, I hope we made the right move just like any decision. Bigger things to worry about than some kid we drafted a week ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read somewhere that recruiters were impressed with how he had addressed some of his shortcomings.

equal 7th in the time trial. ( Rats suggested that time trial is practically worthless ).
I think we need to consider context and the ‘full story’

I think Ratts said a time trial was not so important Or relevant to run just for the year 1-4 Players - better to run it when everyone is back to training - also said they are empowering the players to take responsibility for being at their best - not just threaten them with a time trial —

HOWEVER I don’t think anyone has or will suggest a player’s speed and endurance - ie their ability in a time trial is not relevant - Especially you would think when considering to draft an 18 year old

I think Ratts said a time trial was not so important Or relevant to run just for the year 1-4 Players - better to run it when everyone is back to training - also said they are empowering the players to take responsibility for being at their best - not just threaten them with a time trial —

HOWEVER I don’t think anyone has or will suggest a player’s speed and endurance - ie their ability in a time trial is not relevant - Especially you would think when considering to draft an 18 year old

To me they show * all. My son is a good endurance runner but not a brilliant footballer. He liked time trials and anything involving running at training because he could compete and win. It doesn't show much except perhaps that some players have been slacking off on fitness goals. Generally the same players always come in the front running group because they are a particular type. Plenty of players hate them because they are lumbering dinosaurs and always run in the back group.

Clubs like Richmond have changed training programs to include fun and engagement of the players. Time trials are from the punish the players era. Now they like to do things that make the training itself engaging and targeting skill acquisition at the same time. All players have a fitness program and are tested for skin folds and would have monitors to measure their fitness, you don't need to run 5 kms to prove that you are doing the program now.

Yeah i was being tongue in cheek.
I think one of the earlier concerns about Allison was his tank, and he actually did impress with the way he addressed that.

To me they show fu** all. My son is a good endurance runner but not a brilliant footballer. He liked time trials and anything involving running at training because he could compete and win. It doesn't show much except perhaps that some players have been slacking off on fitness goals. Generally the same players always come in the front running group because they are a particular type. Plenty of players hate them because they are lumbering dinosaurs and always run in the back group.

Clubs like Richmond have changed training programs to include fun and engagement of the players. Time trials are from the punish the players era. Now they like to do things that make the training itself engaging and targeting skill acquisition at the same time. All players have a fitness program and are tested for skin folds and would have monitors to measure their fitness, you don't need to run 5 kms to prove that you are doing the program now.

People these days get confused about indicators.
Time trials are a measure of your ability to put out a certain amount of work in a certain amount of time. You won't really get a fitness measure from other activities unless you are able to measure the work rate accurately.
That doesn't mean that its an important part of a game of footy.

You don't need to pump weights in a game of footy either. Its a training tool.

If you are last in a time trial, chances are you probably won't be good at running out games of footy. Its a measurement tool.

Played 2 games back from injury - last week was probably the best VFL games he's played while this week, he was quieter but still managed 2 goals.

He's improved a lot but still a decent way to go.

We'd probably all be looking at him starry eyed, if we hadn't got Sharman and Caminiti since we drafted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back