Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MAX HEATH!

Remove this Banner Ad

Paddy would disagree with you.
Rowan Marshall too. He likens himself to big Ro, maybe he can learn to be a forward threat too. Gives him a quicker way to impact the game than rucking too. It’ll take him a while to get the top ruck spot but if he can learn to kick straight I’m sure we won’t mind another 2m tall giant clunking them

Rowan Marshall too. He likens himself to big Ro, maybe he can learn to be a forward threat too. Gives him a quicker way to impact the game than rucking too. It’ll take him a while to get the top ruck spot but if he can learn to kick straight I’m sure we won’t mind another 2m tall giant clunking them
Marshall is a beautiful field kick but his goal kicking isn't great.

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d genuinely like to see the club consider giving him a run ahead of Hunter and McKernan, provided he seems the type to benefit from the challenge. There’s been no reason to believe they’ll perform all that much better, based off the year so far, and we’re 1-2 games away from writing off the season to boot.

With Edwards going to the Kangas at Pick 1 also from the Dragons, would I be right in saying this guy wasn't even the No. 1 at Sandy, but some want him playing AFL this week??
Not really correct

Edwards is more of a forward ruck where Heath is a genuine ruck.

Apparently Heath was playing injured in their first game but after that he was the first choice ruck with Edwards forward more.

He's obviously not going to play this week though and more than likely not this year.

If Hunter, McKernan & Alabakis go then we will need another 1 or 2 developing ruck / ruck-forwards especially with Paddy close to retirement as well

I agree, hopefully Heath is good enough to let us de-list Hunter. But its hard to see Paddy playing on past 2022, so we'd probably need to keep McKernan.

Alabakis hasn't cost us a list spot so far. Its a pity he lost a year out of his three year Cat B rookie time. It was never going to be an easy run for a basketballer.
I think before 2021 he only managed a handful of games with the Dolphins.
If he starts to win a reasonable amount of hithout's the Saints might persevere, and put him onto the normal Rookie list. They are training him and know his progress close up, so i won't speculate.
Not sure what some of the posters here expected from him.
Compare with Mason Cox, who got to play a full season in the old VFL reserves. Probably a lot better for developing this sort of player.

Not really correct

Apparently Heath was playing injured in their first game but after that he was the first choice ruck with Edwards forward more.

He's obviously not going to play this week though and more than likely not this year.
What you really want to see is Heath develop into a Mumford like ruckman.

I understand that he identifies more with Marshall as a clearance type that can go forward and not a Ryder type who has the tap artistry. However I feel like if he can work on becoming a brute type he will have a very successful AFL career. He doesn’t need a lot of touches to impact a contest this way and almost maximises his attributes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that he identifies more with Marshall as a clearance type that can go forward and not a Ryder type who has the tap artistry. However I feel like if he can work on becoming a brute type he will have a very successful AFL career. He doesn’t need a lot of touches to impact a contest this way and almost maximises his attributes.
Hes 18 what stops him from learning to kick goals like Marshall, learning to tap from Paddy and hitting the gym like Mumford? Could be the next great ruck

Not really correct

No chance - still at school.

I agree, hopefully Heath is good enough to let us de-list Hunter. But its hard to see Paddy playing on past 2022, so we'd probably need to keep McKernan.

Alabakis hasn't cost us a list spot so far. Its a pity he lost a year out of his three year Cat B rookie time. It was never going to be an easy run for a basketballer.
If he starts to win a reasonable amount of hithout's the Saints might persevere, and put him onto the normal Rookie list. They are training him and know his progress close up, so i won't speculate.
Compare with Mason Cox, who got to play a full season in the old VFL reserves. Probably a lot better for developing this sort of player.
If we keep Smack and PHunter...

Hes 18 what stops him from learning to kick goals like Marshall, learning to tap from Paddy and hitting the gym like Mumford? Could be the next great ruck
Nothing stops him. But let’s be realistic.

Marshall was a forward who isn’t a great tap ruckman but a great follower.
Ryder was a top 10 pick. Played CHB CHF and Ruck and has incredible athletic gifts for his size

My comment was around how he can make a career without putting the expectation that he has to morph into a superstar.

I get the feeling this is probably the go. Heath already at 90 something Kg's would hopefully see him available to fill Paddy's shoes from 2023 and he looks like he'll fill out into a monster. At his size there's no need to keep Hunter around and Smack can fill a gap for another year.
I hope this is the case anyway so we can draw a line through it and get on with the business of drafting mids for the next bunch of years..

Coz he'll never be able to jump like Paddy and Marshall was a forward.
I'm all for having a huge campaigner in the squad because we're as soft as shite right now..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back