Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MAX HEATH!

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering he was a top 10 draft pick whilst Marshall missed 2 or 3 drafts before eventually heing rookied I'd say there was definitely a time where Longer was more promising than Marshall...
In some people's eye's and they were all wrong

Lol

I'm sure you had Marshall being more promising than Longer when he didn't get drafted and Longer was a top 10 pick.

If you did you deserve a job as a recruiter.
I don't recall ever watching longer in his first few games at Brisbane and anyone that says they remember is tugging it a little IMO
All i said that i do remember watching Roma in his first few games and thought to myself we may had a beauty here

I don't recall ever watching longer in his first few games at Brisbane and anyone that says they remember is tugging it a little IMO
All i said that i do remember watching Roma in his first few games and thought to myself we may had a beauty here

Rucks generally take until they are mid 20s to start to show much. I hate spending high picks on them because they are really hard to uncover at junior level. Guys who grow quickest stand out and then you have to hope they fill out and perfect their craft. Roma came in already partially developed, we cut Longer just as he was starting to get to the age to start showing some thing.

That said he was a pretty lazy trainer and his standards of professionalism were low. I saw him smoking outside the club one time and he was scoffing fast food at the same time. Heard others saying similar about him. He turned up late because he slept in early on as well. He was a big happy affable guy but I don't think his heart was ever in competitive sport.

I don't remember a lot of Longer at Brisbane, all I know is that he was drafted at number 9 so he must have been a pretty promising kid.

Doesn't mean they always work out

I didn't catch any VFL much those years, but i read the reports, and Marshall seemed to be tearing it up in whatever role he played.
Then we had the wise old observers on the Sandringham thread "yeahh,....he'll never make it at AFL level ".

I reckon if you take anyone who was taken as a rookie, and say, "yeahhh ...he'll never make it at AFL level " you'll get to be right most of the time and pat yourself on the back.
Hoping Joyce can make them eat their words eventually as well.

I didn't catch any VFL much those years, but i read the reports, and Marshall seemed to be tearing it up in whatever role he played.
Then we had the wise old observers on the Sandringham thread "yeahh,....he'll never make it at AFL level ".

I reckon if you take anyone who was taken as a rookie, and say, "yeahhh ...he'll never make it at AFL level " you'll get to be right most of the time and pat yourself on the back.
Hoping Joyce can make them eat their words eventually as well.

I can remember a few years back going to a preseason intraclub and Marshall was running around like a superstar and I came back and posted that he was the classiest big man on the ground. Before that we'd heard he was the "Prospect" and all the hype but that was the first time I'd actually thought he was going to make it let alone be a star. Battle was our second best tall so he's gone backwards since then. He looked peak Wakelin quality.

I can remember a few years back going to a preseason intraclub and Marshall was running around like a superstar and I came back and posted that he was the classiest big man on the ground. Before that we'd heard he was the "Prospect" and all the hype but that was the first time I'd actually thought he was going to make it let alone be a star. Battle was our second best tall so he's gone backwards since then. He looked peak Wakelin quality.

Battle really only looked good that first season he played in the backline, when Jake was out for the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle really only looked good that first season he played in the backline, when Jake was out for the season.

He looked pretty good last year down back I thought. His first season he played seven game forward and scored a goal a game, last year he played 14 games and kicked 12 playing mostly as a back man. I think people are quick to jump off players after a bit of bad form. The only time he's looked absolutely terrible was as a project wingman/swingman hybrid mess. It's like having a gun bookkeeper at work and deciding if they can keep books like that they'd be handy on the tools. Ratt's inflexibility is hurting the development of some of the players because he expects them to be flexible ironically. I reckon Battle falls into that category.

He looked pretty good last year down back I thought. His first season he played seven game forward and scored a goal a game, last year he played 14 games and kicked 12 playing mostly as a back man. I think people are quick to jump off players after a bit of bad form. The only time he's looked absolutely terrible was as a project wingman/swingman hybrid mess. It's like having a gun bookkeeper at work and deciding if they can keep books like that they'd be handy on the tools. Ratt's inflexibility is hurting the development of some of the players because he expects them to be flexible ironically. I reckon Battle falls into that category.
He didn't play mostly as a backman last year, that was the year prior.

He played a similar role to this year drifting from the forward line to the wing and plugging holes in defence when needed.

Can't imagine that's great for his development but he needs to take his opportunities when playing forward if he wants a more permanent role there.

We cut Longer just as he was starting to get to the age to start showing some thing.

That said he was a pretty lazy trainer and his standards of professionalism were low. I saw him smoking outside the club one time and he was scoffing fast food at the same time. Heard others saying similar about him. He turned up late because he slept in early on as well. He was a big happy affable guy but I don't think his heart was ever in competitive sport.
Billy retired at the end of that season. Presumably due to the ongoing issues related to his concussion, which saw him miss the 2nd half of that season (after also missing a month due to concussion 3 years earlier).

Billy retired at the end of that season. Presumably due to the ongoing issues related to his concussion, which saw him miss the 2nd half of that season (after also missing a month due to concussion 3 years earlier).

Well that makes me look like an arse then.

The more I read about him the more hyped I get. Loves throwing his weight around and putting the opposition into the ground. Focuses on protecting his team mates.

Heath has a lot of swagger it seems. Exactly what we need. This personality type won’t let confidence affect his form , like others we have. Just hope he has the ability to deliver.

Was chatting to an old school/childhood friend over the weekend and was asking him about Max Heath as he goes to the school we both went to and my friend has sons there now.

Basically he said Max will play the year mainly at school as the school (Xavier) will be in the running for their first premiership for awhile.

He said what will be especially interesting will be to see how he goes against Luke Darcy’s son who plays for Scotch and is apparently dominating.

Scotch will be playing Xavier at Scotch on 31st of July so it might be a good game for a few of you to get down to if you want to see how our young bloke Heath goes against a quality opponent in Darcy in a big match.

Was chatting to an old school/childhood friend over the weekend and was asking him about Max Heath as he goes to the school we both went to and my friend has sons there now.

Basically he said Max will play the year mainly at school as the school (Xavier) will be in the running for their first premiership for awhile.

He said what will be especially interesting will be to see how he goes against Luke Darcy’s son who plays for Scotch and is apparently dominating.

Scotch will be playing Xavier at Scotch on 31st of July so it might be a good game for a few of you to get down to if you want to see how our young bloke Heath goes against a quality opponent in Darcy in a big match.

I think Darcy is playing as a forward the moment from what they said on radio. It would be good to see Heath though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back