Traded Ben Long

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope that the long term plan is to turn him into a wing man. Start his career playing back and forward but the goal to move up to the wing for periods of the game.

No sass intended. Only interested in why the Bulldogs let this guy go if he was so good as people say, instead of keeping or elevating him.

According to reports after the draft the Dogs were going to take him with their next pick which is why we got in first. All the Dogs supporters that came on here after the draft were pretty unhappy that they hadn't managed to pick him up themselves. They were very bullish about him. They couldn't elevate him because he wasn't on their list.

According to reports after the draft the Dogs were going to take him with their next pick which is why we got in first. All the Dogs supporters that came on here after the draft were pretty unhappy that they hadn't managed to pick him up themselves. They were very bullish about him. They couldn't elevate him because he wasn't on their list.
Damn that's good.
Just so I understand what happened, who on our list is equivalent to what happened with Ben Long and the Bulldogs/Footscray.

Damn that's good.
Just so I understand what happened, who on our list is equivalent to what happened with Ben Long and the Bulldogs/Footscray.

Brad Howard. We snatched him up , worried someone else would get him, despite him being off the radar.

Damn that's good.

No one on our list is the equivalent because Long wasn't on the Bulldogs list.

The closest equivalent would be a random Sandringham Zebras player that has no affiliation to the Saints.

Brad Howard. We snatched him up , worried someone else would get him, despite him being off the radar.

Except that Brad Howard wasn't playing for our feeder side as an overage player.

Sam Mitchell is an example of a kid not drafted in his U18 year, played VFL & then drafted. It was to his VFL club's aligned AFL club but he was available to all clubs that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except that Brad Howard wasn't playing for our feeder side as an overage player.

Sam Mitchell is an example of a kid not drafted in his U18 year, played VFL & then drafted. It was to his VFL club's aligned AFL club but he was available to all clubs that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its really not that difficult to understand lol

Damn that's good.
You don't have to be on an afl list to play VFL

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of guys who missed the draft end up in the VFL, and some go on to get drafted after some good footy.
James Magner, Sandringham - Melbourne.
Michael Barlow, Werribee - Fremantle.
Most usually come in via the Rookie list.

Guess which StKilda rookie, came from Essendon Reserves ( when they still had reserves ).

Lots of guys who missed the draft end up in the VFL, and some go on to get drafted after some good footy.
James Magner, Sandringham - Melbourne.
Michael Barlow, Werribee - Fremantle.
Most usually come in via the Rookie list.

Guess which StKilda rookie, came from Essendon Reserves ( when they still had reserves ).

"He's just not trying anymore"

Simpsons1.JPG

Its not so usual for a player to come into the main draft via the VFL though. ( rather than the rookie draft ).
Tom Lee had already been drafted and de-listed and was playing WAFL.
Mitch Brown played for Sandringham and was taken by Essendon in the draft late round 3.
Gwilt was straight from Noble Park I think.
Ben Brown didn't get drafted because of injury. He recovered, played in Tassie, then came and did a year at Werribee before being drafted 3rd round.
( I wanted us to Rookie him the year he played for Werribbee ).
Boekhorst was 21 when the Blues took him, an ealier pick than Long. ( and i hope a worse judgement call ).
Issac Smith, came through local leagues and finally VFL. Probably around 20 when the Hawks got him.

I wouldn't be surprised if long plays 15-19 games next year. We like to blood players in their 1st year then make them earn it after that, especially non KPP's.

Greah 18 games
Billings 16 games
Dunstan 16 games
Sinclair 18 games
Lonie 17 games

(Number of games they all played in their 1st year)

I expect gresh will be made to earn his spot alot more this year while long will be given the extra time to get up to speed.

I would love to see a fwd line of

Billings bruce long
Gresh paddy membrey

No one on our list is the equivalent because Long wasn't on the Bulldogs list.

The closest equivalent would be a random Sandringham Zebras player that has no affiliation to the Saints.

I reckon Kade Answerth would have been similar, good kid missed the draft so played VFL was pretty unlucky not to get a spot on a rookie list.

I wouldn't be surprised if long plays 15-19 games next year. We like to blood players in their 1st year then make them earn it after that, especially non KPP's.

Greah 18 games
Billings 16 games
Dunstan 16 games
Sinclair 18 games
Lonie 17 games

(Number of games they all played in their 1st year)

I expect gresh will be made to earn his spot alot more this year while long will be given the extra time to get up to speed.

I would love to see a fwd line of

Billings bruce long
Gresh paddy membrey
That's a hell of a fwd line. With Roo on the wing.
You've gotta get mav Weller in there aswell blokes a jet, leader and will belt the oppo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back