Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - Tom Highmore

Remove this Banner Ad

The height doesn't matter as much with zones and intercept marking. There are less and less fully accountable KPBs left. Guys like Carlisle don't actually play a tight checking game, he could play the same role even if he was 192cm. His best footy is like Mc Govern, reading the drop of the ball better than his opponent.
I can really only think of Moore, Carlisle and Andrews that are super tall 2m+ defenders now that Harry Taylor is gone. I thought Hayne was tall and just saw on a list that he's actually a short arse and Jeremy Howe is 190cm. Phil Davis is 197cm so above average though.
Agreed. Taylor was only 193 too. The way they play is much more important than their height. Carlisle is 5cm taller than Frawley but Frawley has been much more suited to a lockdown role, and Carlisle to an intercepting role, as you say.

Agreed. Taylor was only 193 too. The way they play is much more important than their height. Carlisle is 5cm taller than Frawley but Frawley has been much more suited to a lockdown role, and Carlisle to an intercepting role, as you say.

Is that right, Taylor looked tall because he was slim obviously. I thought Hayne would have been about 198cm too.

Is that right, Taylor looked tall because he was slim obviously. I thought Hayne would have been about 198cm too.
Just double checked, can see Taylor at 193 and 195 depending on the source.

Yeah Haynes has got a lanky look about him. Takes it at a high point too.

We've got Howard down there too so it's not like we're lacking height down back.

I decided to do my half mara (with the Melb Marathon) last night during the draft. No radio for AFL, so had to listen to SEN. Rendell and some host asking Dorothy dixers. Excruciating.

What was your time mate? Haven't done one in 4 years (60 y.o body keeps giving up in training)' My last time was a 1:53. Broke the two hour mark, think I will rest on my laurels

Sam Fisher was only 191cm. Matthew Scarlett only 192cm.

They went ok.

What was your time mate? Haven't done one in 4 years (60 y.o body keeps giving up in training)' My last time was a 1:53. Broke the two hour mark, think I will rest on my laurels
Yeah, 2.10. Last one was about that 1.53. Only 1 run over 10ks in the lead up, oops! I guess because I went slow I actually had more juice at the end than usual.

They went ok.
Luke Ryan at 186 too. He took much more responsibility as a tall this year then just the intercept HBFer

Yeah, 2.10. Last one was about that 1.53. Only 1 run over 10ks in the lead up, oops! I guess because I went slow I actually had more juice at the end than usual.

Only reason I ever got under 2 hours is I did a specific program where five weeks before the run I did two 22 k training runs, tapering it down to 15 and 10 in the later runs. training is everything, I'll be eff'ed if i know how anyone runs a full marathon, after a half I am buggered.

Only reason I ever got under 2 hours is I did a specific program where five weeks before the run I did two 22 k training runs, tapering it down to 15 and 10 in the later runs. training is everything, I'll be eff'ed if i know how anyone runs a full marathon, after a half I am buggered.
Tommy Highmore runs a marathon a week.

They went ok.

Not so many Kings running around in their day though. Imagine Sammy Fisher standing next to big Max.

Plenty of pretty tall guys out there:

211cm: Cox
204cm: Hipwood, McKay
202cm: King, King
201cm: Casboult
200cm: Dixon
199cm: Lynch
198cm: Hawkins, Taberner
197cm: Bruce
196cm: Cameron, Finlayson, Kennedy
195cm: Naughton, Weideman

Judging from those highlights, he does that thing that good players do at lower levels - taking on players and taking his time to find the right option. He won't anywhere near as much time in the AFL so it'll be very interesting to see if he can keep that in his game or if he just gets caught too much.

One thing I think scouts and recruiters should look at is reach vs height.

All well and good to stand 198cms tall but if you have a long neck or short arms then your reach to mark/spoil may not be as far as a kid standing 194cms

Tim English is very tall (205cms) but most of that is neck so his actual reach isn't as far as you would expect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so many Kings running around in their day though. Imagine Sammy Fisher standing next to big Max.

Plenty of pretty tall guys out there:

211cm: Cox
204cm: Hipwood, McKay
202cm: King, King
201cm: Casboult
200cm: Dixon
199cm: Lynch
198cm: Hawkins, Taberner
197cm: Bruce
196cm: Cameron, Finlayson, Kennedy
195cm: Naughton, Weideman

Honestly on this years form only Hawkins, Dixon, Lynch and Kennedy that would keep defenders awake at night. Kings and Naughton are coming though and you'd back Cameron to get back to a gun forward again. These days they'd have Fisher block his run and someone run across the front and mop up the ball coming in.

All well and good to stand 198cms tall but if you have a long neck or short arms then your reach to mark/spoil may not be as far as a kid standing 194cms
Our experience with Tom Simpkin should’ve made it obvious that measuring height to the top of the head can be misleading

f16C47p.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly on this years form only Hawkins, Dixon, Lynch and Kennedy that would keep defenders awake at night. Kings and Naughton are coming though and you'd back Cameron to get back to a gun forward again. These days they'd have Fisher block his run and someone run across the front and mop up the ball coming in.

I'm pretty confident in McKay and Hipwood making it too.

Judging from those highlights, he does that thing that good players do at lower levels - taking on players and taking his time to find the right option. He won't anywhere near as much time in the AFL so it'll be very interesting to see if he can keep that in his game or if he just gets caught too much.
I watched a lot of SANFL on 7Plus this year,and Tom was a very good player in most matches that featured Sth Ade.
Has good hands,reads the play well and his kicking efficiency was very close to 80 %.

Tim English is very tall (205cms) but most of that is neck so his actual reach isn't as far as you would expect.
And the vertical leap and ability to use it in games is also very important. Case in Point Tim membrey dispte only being 188cm He has a great leap and reach. Coff is the same.

I'm pretty confident in McKay and Hipwood making it too.

Yeah both are a bit behind the Kings though IMO. Hipwood is one of the worst kicks for goal I've ever seen but he gets it heaps. Mc Kay is promising.

God he speaks well.

I think I posted that comment somewhere on another (wrong) thread. When he speaks he oozes leadership. Be interesting to see what his game looks like.

Whereas Membrey is relatively short for a key forward but has those looooong orangutang arms

Remove this Banner Ad

Back