Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ZAK JONES!

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats on picking up Jones. He’s a cranky bastard but was well liked by Swans fans. I hope he does well for you.

I will say though that I hope that your recruiters weren’t taking advice from John Ralph. In the review last night Ralph said that Jones was exactly what the Saints needed as he “has elite foot skills”. Now Jones has many fine attributes and I’m sorry to see him go but anyone who has watched even five minutes of his play will know that the one thing he definitely does not have is elite, or even just good, foot skills. Ralph has again demonstrated that he has no f***ing idea.

Maybe he thinks elite foot skills means he is elite at moving his feet to generate forward momentum aka running.

Congrats on picking up Jones. He’s a cranky bastard but was well liked by Swans fans. I hope he does well for you.

I will say though that I hope that your recruiters weren’t taking advice from John Ralph. In the review last night Ralph said that Jones was exactly what the Saints needed as he “has elite foot skills”. Now Jones has many fine attributes and I’m sorry to see him go but anyone who has watched even five minutes of his play will know that the one thing he definitely does not have is elite, or even just good, foot skills. Ralph has again demonstrated that he has no f***ing idea.

Yep, I love everything about Jones except for his kicking. He sprays like a tomcat.

A few years ago, start of 2017, I really started following him and had him in my Supercoach team. Looked like a gun then, I loved his line-breaking and ability to get the ball. He seems to have stagnated a bit the past couple of years, but his potential is HUGE in my opinion. Could even be A grade. Can't wait to see what he brings to the Saints.
Yep, the thing with Jones is to try to ensure that his strengths are managed so that they don’t become his weaknesses. As has already been noted, what he will give you is his forceful running and his aggression. When that’s working well you have someone who can break the lines at will and someone who will lay tackles and act as an enforcer around the ground. However, as Swans fans have seen many times, he’s not the most intelligent player going around. That means he does sometimes run into dead ends and can get done holding the ball sometimes. It also means that he has been known for giving away silly free kicks a bit too often. Hopefully his development continues and he learns when to pick his moments.

On balance I think you’ve picked him up at a great time and he’ll be a real asset for you guys though.

Why is he in 10? That's the tainted devil's number. I hope they moved Hanners out of it but don't risk poor Zac, he doesn't deserve the curse. He'll wake up with hamstring awareness and with in 2 weeks he'll be on crutches.

Why is he in 10? That's the tainted devil's number. I hope they moved Hanners out of it but don't risk poor Zac, he doesn't deserve the curse. He'll wake up with hamstring awareness and with in 2 weeks he'll be on crutches.
Just for the photoshoot mate. Only need the front.

Awesome cos we have got another 10 or so players with the same Skills.
But if he can run with the ball for 30 mtrs and Handball it to Hill then we are Laughing.
Go Saints

Healy chimes in

Very interesting to listen to Healys comments. Talks about him twice but clearly rates him very highly, says he's actually a good kick, has had issues with decision making but if he can sort that out then he could be all Australian. Reckons Jones's rating in the last 4 weeks of the season was AA level. Also said that while he hasn't come top10 b and f, he has seen games where he couldn't believe Jones didn't get coaches votes, so the club underrated him.

Healy chimes in

Very interesting to listen to Healys comments. Talks about him twice but clearly rates him very highly, says he's actually a good kick, has had issues with decision making but if he can sort that out then he could be all Australian. Reckons Jones's rating in the last 4 weeks of the season was AA level. Also said that while he hasn't come top10 b and f, he has seen games where he couldn't believe Jones didn't get coaches votes, so the club underrated him.

Not sure about AA level. His first six weeks were probably around the mark of AA40 but his last few weren’t that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just has an unpredictability about his game.

Can't teach that.

Previous Game Plan.
a) Bomb the ball into the 50 on top of Tall forward with 2 good defenders on him.
b) try to stop the rebound after the turnover.

New Game Plan
a) Quickly kick the ball to a random place in the 50
b) Recruit really quick forwards to try to get to it first.

Was being targeted by the Tigers, all you need to know when talking Zak Jones, if Dimma and Balmey thought enough of him to bring him in for a meeting which I would suspect meant had they got him he’d be starting on a wing for them, then we’ve done really well here.

I reckon he’s a jet, sure his kicking can improve but so can Shiel and Treloars doesn’t mean they aren’t good players.

There seem to be mixed feelings about Zak on this thread. IMO you've made an astute trade. The Swans reshuffled the team to let him play where he wanted in the hope of keeping him in Sydney.
Nabbing a former first round best 22 player with weapons and upside at this price is good business. After the Hannebery, Membrey, Schneider and Dempster deals I started to think the Swans had a secret deal to slowly pay for Lockett and Hall over twenty-five years like a home loan. Look forward to watching Zak play for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back