Welcome to Sydney Uni, Xavier Richards!

Remove this Banner Ad

I might have gone a tad hard. It's like this, he was offered a 2 year deal which was on the same money as AJ is and he said he couldn't afford to live there. 2,couldn't care about footy will continue at uni and then move on. After that will probably play for his old school team in Old Xavier.
It got pretty heated with JL , calling Ted and pleading with him to convince his sibling, but no he wasn't staying in Sydney. Gave him a last chance and that's it. All over.

I might have gone a tad hard. It's like this, he was offered a 2 year deal which was on the same money as AJ is and he said he couldn't afford to live there. 2,couldn't care about footy will continue at uni and then move on. After that will probably play for his old school team in Old Xavier.
It got pretty heated with JL , calling Ted and pleading with him to convince his sibling, but no he wasn't staying in Sydney. Gave him a last chance and that's it. All over.

Sounds to me like the Swans were pretty desperate to keep him XR and he spat in their face. There's no coming back from that

Sounds to me like the Swans were pretty desperate to keep him XR and he spat in their face. There's no coming back from that

Where does that suggest "spat in their face"? He didn't want to play. Was meh about footy, if he was going to play he wanted it to be in Melbourne. He told them that. That's all.

A lot of people in this thread are taking this weirdly personally.

Where does that suggest "spat in their face"? He didn't want to play. Was meh about footy, if he was going to play he wanted it to be in Melbourne. He told them that. That's all.

A lot of people in this thread are taking this weirdly personally.
Some finding it hard to believe a footy career is not the be all and end all.

In reality, he was probably going to fill a stop gap function over the next 3 years then be delisted. Getting started on a real career is probably the right call for him, particularly if the footballer lifestyle isn't all that attractive to him. Because let's face it, that life isn't for everyone, particularly if you're likely to spend a majority of time in the reserves.

Strange to plead for him to stay but only offer him the same money that you're offering a guy who's an outside chance to play again.

Massive self-destructive dummy spit.

I hope X doesn't wake up in 10 years time and say "..what did i do!"

I doubt he will. Private schoolboy, with plenty of Melbourne footy connections, who seems to have a passable head on his shoulders. He'll be right. Odds are he'll end up working in finance, making as much after 5-7 years as he would with any fringe-list footy contract.

He's not steve johnson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange to plead for him to stay but only offer him the same money that you're offering a guy who's an outside chance to play again.

I doubt he will. Private schoolboy, with plenty of Melbourne footy connections, who seems to have a passable head on his shoulders. He'll be right. Odds are he'll end up working in finance, making as much after 5-7 years as he would with any fringe-list footy contract.

He's not steve johnson.

He'll just forgo a cool half a million in the mean time

He's not steve johnson.
He will go to Uni to be a Physio, he has been doing part time uni in Sydney

He obviously thinks he can earn more in the corporate world than he can on the football field... good luck with that
What a ridiculously naive comment, it is very easy to earn considerably more in the corporate sector than as a footballer. Only a very small minority of footballers are very well paid. Mike Pike for instance earns considerably more now as an investment banker than he ever did as a footballer.

What a ridiculously naive comment, it is very easy to earn considerably more in the corporate sector than as a footballer. Only a very small minority of footballers are very well paid. Mike Pike for instance earns considerably more now as an investment banker than he ever did as a footballer.

You with the ATO?

Whether you want to believe me or not to be honest I really don't care, but I know it for an absolute fact thanks very much.
I know a couple at my cricket club. Can confirm they earn over the average AFL salary. Not sure what he was on at sydney though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back