Welcome to Sydney Uni, Xavier Richards!

Remove this Banner Ad

Whether you want to believe me or not to be honest I really don't care, but I know it for an absolute fact thanks very much.
I worked in Investment Banking for many years so I'd have to back you up. Pyke has a Masters in Commerce and is working in Corporate Advisory. He's probably earning a good deal more now than as a player and will likely earn more and more over a long career. A football career is short, all-consuming and can wreck your body. Whether Xav can earn as much is questionable but as long as he enjoys what he does then good on him.

What a ridiculously naive comment, it is very easy to earn considerably more in the corporate sector than as a footballer. Only a very small minority of footballers are very well paid. Mike Pike for instance earns considerably more now as an investment banker than he ever did as a footballer.

Firstly, nobody is earning $100k plus in their first few years in the corporate sector

Secondly, how do you think Mike Pyke got his in as an investment banker in the first place? Being an AFL footballer opens a lot of doors that aren't there for mere mortals

Not everything is about money. I took a job paying $25k less than my previous job....couldn't be happier. Good luck to the bloke.
I hope you werent earning 25k

Some finding it hard to believe a footy career is not the be all and end all.
I'd be the first to advise that footy is not the be all and end all, that it's so important to keep it in its proper perspective (in fact I did plenty of that to other posters here, what with all the gloom and doom they were spouting about what I thought was an amazing Swans effort in the GF).

But I struggle to believe that someone could put in the hard yards required to achieve selection to play in an AFL GF, and yet have doubts about whether a footy career is the right choice for him. Specially with the role model he's got in his much older brother, and what he went through.

Though I do wonder if Ted's last concussion led X to wonder whether the long term risks are really worth the short term reward. I would have some sympathy for that decision. Maybe something like that at the back of your mind leads you to unconsciously activate the poison pill on your current career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, nobody is earning $100k plus in their first few years in the corporate sector

Secondly, how do you think Mike Pyke got his in as an investment banker in the first place? Being an AFL footballer opens a lot of doors that aren't there for mere mortals

Well I did vis a vis the first point (and the rest is not really aimed at you as such)

Considerably more actually.

All of this is a bit silly to be honest though.

Look at it pragmatically. XR is an average to below average footy player with possibly 5 years in the game at the lower end of the pay scale for AFL players.

Juxtapose that against the rest of his life and the earning capacity of that time frame.

It does not even come close to being equal.

Sure he probably torched a few bucks now but really in the big scheme of things if he gets a career going earlier etc.....bugger all difference.

Isn't this about XR, its not a banking thread ffs
Have you worked out online banking yet bedders?

4b99cf0a572e13b1b95eb362ea357d546fc224055803743cab593dcb26478374.jpg

I can report further on what happened. Horse rang Ted and said get your f ing brother to my office, which he did and told Horse again he wasn't staying. The nice nature that Horse had towards him then vanished and it was a very angry coach as young Richards departed. Footy is not a massive love for him and that's it. Now to start a banking thread for RW to put in all the crap.

I can report further on what happened. Horse rang Ted and said get your f ing brother to my office, which he did and told Horse again he wasn't staying. The nice nature that Horse had towards him then vanished and it was a very angry coach as young Richards departed. Footy is not a massive love for him and that's it. Now to start a banking thread for RW to put in all the crap.

Is that a thread where I can discuss Dean Towers & how I believe as supporters we can BANK on him bocoming an even better player in 2017?:)

Is that a thread where I can discuss Dean Towers & how I believe as supporters we can BANK on him bocoming an even better player in 2017?:)
Try the Fantasy board :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back