Welcome to the Adelaide Crows, Cathal McShane (narrator: he didn't come)

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on the tilt of the Earth, geographic latitude of ireland and here, I estimate Ireland gets about 25% of direct solar UV and we get about 95% here. He's probably safer in Ireland.

:grin:
The theory is that humans evolved in Africa with dark skin and as we moved further away from the equator with less sunlight, natural selection favoured lighter skin as it absorbs vitamin D better than dark skin does.

Based on the tilt of the Earth, geographic latitude of ireland and here, I estimate Ireland gets about 25% of direct solar UV and we get about 95% here. He's probably safer in Ireland.

:grin:
657082-750-uv_index-en.gif

This is a non-sequitur: coal has nothing to do with the ozone layer.

It is interesting how relatively easy it was to get the world to take action on the ozone hole compared to climate change, though. Didn't see a lot of ozone hole denial going on. I guess the chlorofluorocarbon industries didn't have the financial weight to throw around that the fossil fuels do :p

It is interesting how relatively easy it was to get the world to take action on the ozone hole compared to climate change, though. Didn't see a lot of ozone hole denial going on. I guess the chlorofluorocarbon industries didn't have the financial weight to throw around that the fossil fuels do :p
China and the US are the main problem and they carry much more weight than even the fossil fuel industry.
The US has at least levelled off in CO2 emissions (Trump may change that) but China won't even hit it's peak until 2030 under the Paris accord (if it complies) and uses more than half of the world's coal consumption per annum..
Unless those 2 countries do something drastic which seems unlikely, we're doomed unless there is some amazing new technology around the corner to save us. The rest of the world is small potatoes in comparison, except maybe Europe which is improving.

China and the US are the main problem and they carry much more weight than even the fossil fuel industry.
The US has at least levelled off in CO2 emissions (Trump may change that) but China won't even hit it's peak until 2030 under the Paris accord (if it complies) and uses more than half of the world's coal consumption per annum..
Unless those 2 countries do something drastic which seems unlikely, we're doomed unless there is some amazing new technology around the corner to save us. The rest of the world is small potatoes in comparison, except maybe Europe which is improving.
We shouldn't have sent soldiers to WW1 or WW2 then either...per capita, we wouldn't have done anything.

Just look after our backyard, don't take a leading role, do the right thing, etc?

It's hard to influence others when your own backyard isn't in order

So you don't count the coal we export?

We shouldn't have sent soldiers to WW1 or WW2 then either...per capita, we wouldn't have done anything.

Just look after our backyard, don't take a leading role, do the right thing, etc?

Far from it, we should everything we can including limiting coal. But if we want to save the world, then China and the US are the key and the numbers show that, and they basically don't give a stuff. A small example - as tragic as Kobe Bryant's death is, especially for his daughter and the other kids, why do you need a (high risk) helicopter ride to get to a child's basketball game FFS? And I don't care how many carbon offsets these celebrities pay, its entirely the wrong message too.

The obvious difference is that there was a relatively cheap and comparable substitute available for cfc.

Same can't be said for combustion fuels. A lot of zero emission substitutes have either high entry costs, are not direct substitutes or have their own negative environmental concerns (nuclear, hydro, wave etc).

The cfc issue was dealt with easily because it was relatively easy to deal with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect it will just be purchased from somewhere else. We lose but no one wins still except our competition.

I expect it will just be purchased from somewhere else. We lose but no one wins still except our competition.
Exactly, it’s not the thread for it, but if we stop the supply do we honestly expect the demand to drop? That’s deluded thinking and the only reason to support stopping is to feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Exactly, it’s not the thread for it, but if we stop the supply do we honestly expect the demand to drop? That’s deluded thinking and the only reason to support stopping is to feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Demand doesn't stop but supply does...price goes up, peeps look for alternatives

How long till that happens? What if the suppliers think let’s keep prices stagnant so they don’t look for alternatives?
Then there are power outages...and people look for alternatives.

I know at least 2 gas companies looking at solar and wind as a way to migrate to what is inevitable

Then there are power outages...and people look for alternatives.

I know at least 2 gas companies looking at solar and wind as a way to migrate to what is inevitable
Why would there be power outages? We are talking about countries who rely on coal for their power needs and sourcing that coal. If we stop they will get it from somewhere. If the supplier keeps their prices realistic life will go on whilst Australia suffers so people can feel good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back