Welcome to the Adelaide Crows, Cathal McShane (narrator: he didn't come)

Remove this Banner Ad

I see you’re off topic to deflect from blowing your load too early.

Anyway, your notion that it’s Australia or no realistic price is as flawed as your OP.
I lIkE cOaL aNd ScOmO iS dOiNg ReAlLy WeLl

Looks like he may have had some incentive to stay in Ireland

The Keystone Group is delighted to announce that Cathal McShane, Tyrone GAA ‘All Star’ will be joining the company.
After being linked with a possible move to Australia to play in the AFL, Cathal has confirmed he will stay in Ireland due to the brilliant career opportunities offered to him by the Keystone Group.

Not bad by Cathal McShane. 2 weeks in Australia in the Irish winter all expenses paid then back home and up yours to Adelaide. We are a soft touch.
He may not have understood why it wasn't raining here. It rains every day in Dublin.

Looks like he may have had some incentive to stay in Ireland

Keystone manufacture insulated steel lintels. The fact that the manager of the football team is at a press photo release of McShane getting a job says it all really. Rumours of £60k per year, a car and a site bought for him to build on. Decent package for a lad who basically just has to sell lintels and as they are one of the 2 largest manufacturers in Ireland (them being in Northern Ireland and the other one in Republic of Ireland) means he has to do damn all to keep sales moving. Its basically Keystone sponsoring Tyrone GAA, but the money going to a player instead and he gets a makey uppey job. Mickey Harte, the Tyrone manager, really, really hates the AFL and the International rules and anyone or anything associated with AFL, so he did his best to keep McShane in Tyrone. Considering how well McKenna is going at Essendon, he knows he is missing a gem there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not bad by Cathal McShane. 2 weeks in Australia in the Irish winter all expenses paid then back home and up yours to Adelaide. We are a soft touch.
He may not have understood why it wasn't raining here. It rains every day in Dublin.
Last time I was in Dublin it was 28...almost had to take my jacket off

So, who gets our last list position?

I kinda hope for one of the 210cm, 115kg, 11sec 100m athletes from the USA we can develop into a ruckman who can just crash into guys like Gawn

Sounds like he has a good thing going on over there. Can't really fault him for staying.

Oh well good on our recruiters for thinking outside the box. Hopefully we'll get our own crazy Irishman in the near future.

Last time I was in Dublin it was 28...almost had to take my jacket off
Heatwave ;) We were there in August. Beautiful town and people. The Hop-on bus driver mentioned the previous week it only rained twice. 3 days straight the first and it lasted 4 day the second. Great sense of humour. We got to see Croke park from the outside. Looked impressive.

Keystone manufacture insulated steel lintels. The fact that the manager of the football team is at a press photo release of McShane getting a job says it all really. Rumours of £60k per year, a car and a site bought for him to build on. Decent package for a lad who basically just has to sell lintels and as they are one of the 2 largest manufacturers in Ireland (them being in Northern Ireland and the other one in Republic of Ireland) means he has to do damn all to keep sales moving. Its basically Keystone sponsoring Tyrone GAA, but the money going to a player instead and he gets a makey uppey job. Mickey Harte, the Tyrone manager, really, really hates the AFL and the International rules and anyone or anything associated with AFL, so he did his best to keep McShane in Tyrone. Considering how well McKenna is going at Essendon, he knows he is missing a gem there too.

Good on him though. One needs to look after their future. May set a precedent for other Gaelic players asking for financial help.

Good on him though. One needs to look after their future. May set a precedent for other Gaelic players asking for financial help.

Most GAA players, especially at the top end, get their share of perks. Would get a handy job set up for them if not qualified in sales or marketing or something. Some may get a car sponsorship deal too. They would use their name as best they can to advance themselves in the absence of actually being paid to play. The biggest issue with Irish players playing AFL is that while they have the skill set and ability to go into it quickly, it's not their first game or a love of it that is keeping them going. Many will still dream of winning for their county, where you grow up following your county and have ambitions to play for them one day. Its not like AFL or most other sports where you could end up playing anywhere. So the love of it drives players on that bit more and sometimes that more than money can be a defining factor.

Would have been one of the 3 free Cat.B list spots he'd have taken?

Yup. So I'm not 100% sure if we do need to fill it, as there might be a minimum amount of rookies needed, depending on how many are on your list.

Yup. So I'm not 100% sure if we do need to fill it, as there might be a minimum amount of rookies needed, depending on how many are on your list.
Cat B is outside of that.

We do have a rookie spot we could fill, but I think we might keep it open until midyear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back