Welcome to the Adelaide Crows, Cathal McShane (narrator: he didn't come)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Athletic Irish prospect Cathal McShane is set to train with Adelaide’s AFL squad in January.

Crows General Manager List Management and Strategy Justin Reid confirmed the Club will fly the 24-year-old to Australia in the coming weeks.

“We’re looking forward to Cathal joining our pre-season training program and getting to know him a bit better,” Reid said.

“He has the physical attributes, coming in at a touch over 190 centimetres. He’s also strong in the air and can kick on both feet.

“Once he lands in Adelaide, it’ll provide the opportunity to understand more about our Club, our philosophies and what our program looks like.”

The Gaelic footballer from Tyrone finished as the top scorer in last season’s All-Ireland Championship, earning an All-Star award in the process.

The most amazing part of this news is like every other time the Crows try to do something other teams have already been doing for years it causes a massive overblown incident, this has apparently caused an international incident between the AFL and the GAA

There also could be some assurances more than just a trial given he was expected to sign for Brisbane on a two year deal.

Last edited:

The most amazing part of this news is like every other time the Crows try to do something other teams have already been doing for years it causes a massive overblown incident, this has apparently caused an international incident between the AFL and the GAA

There also could be some assurances more than just a trial given he was expected to sign for Brisbane on a two year deal.

From what I'm understanding, the difference is McShane is actually a star player, whereas most Irish recruits until now have been younger, unproven Gaelic football players.

I can understand their frustration.

gone a bit early mate

Maybe - he's certainly been welcomed here for pre-season training. You presume there must be a more solid deal happening behind the scenes as it sounds like he turned down two years with Brisbane.

Last edited:
Maybe - he's certainly been welcomed here for pre-season training. You presume there must be a more solid deal happening behind the scenes as it sounds like hge turned down two years with Brisbane.
Irish media was under the impression he was going to Brisbane but apparently was never the case

Whoa up a bit lads, let's see how he handles kicking the Sherrin just for starters, if you watch the Gaelic footballers with the round ball they look to kick across their body mostly for accuracy when looking to score, don't think in the main that works too well with the Sherrin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This looks like a Greenwood-type move, some real nice skills that should be easily applied to AFL. Obviously has some things to work out re: the new ball shape and positioning but I like it, really interested in the fact that he's already a proven star in the Gaelic game

kerr-tyr-1.jpg

Everything I've read on this guy suggest that he's going to Brisbane on a 2 year deal.

Edit: On the Lions board they're suggesting they don't have a list spot and would have been contracted for the NEAFL only, so coming in as a Cat B would give him a chance at playing in the AFL despite it being pretty unlikely.

Last edited:
Everything I've read on this guy suggest that he's going to Brisbane on a 2 year deal.

Edit: On the Lions board they're suggesting they don't have a list spot and would have been contracted for the NEAFL only, so coming in as a Cat B would give him a chance at playing in the AFL despite it being pretty unlikely.
Cat B can only play if there’s an lti and they’re upgraded to the senior list.

Cat A however can play anytime without the need for a lti.

From what I'm understanding, the difference is McShane is actually a star player, whereas most Irish recruits until now have been younger, unproven Gaelic football players.

I can understand their frustration.
Not least of which he plays for one of the few teams capable of challenging Dublin. This is a real concern in the context of Dublin’s recent domination of the championship, they have a ridiculous structural advantage over the rest of the competition in terms of population catchment & economics, smaller counties losing quality players merely serves to further skew the balance of the competition in Dublin’s favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back