Toast Welcome to the AFL Buku Khamis! It’s Buks party time :D

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ayce was only a first rounder because the Aints decided to push us and bid on him in the first round and we fell for it and picked him rather than letting him fall to the Aints (think it was that clown Clayton again)
Phantom drafts had him as a first rounder. Was generally considered top ten. On his best days you could see the appeal but his worst days were awful.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
This might be a cheap comparison, but how does Buku's game style compare to Hawks Changkuoth Jiath? Both seem to be a similar height and play a similar position.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
This might be a cheap comparison, but how does Buku's game style compare to Hawks Changkuoth Jiath? Both seem to be a similar height and play a similar position.
On limited viewing of both, Khamis appears to be your more traditional intercepting third/fourth defender. He hasn't really shown off the ability at ground level / running game that CJ has yet, but he's certainly athletic.

fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn

I mean this in a nice way but cant wait till the cancel cultute tear shreds into this thread :)

Both seem to be a similar height and play a similar position.

and there is no other similar traits between the two players discussed

CJ is the line breaker
While buku is a shutdown intercept defender with clean kicking skills

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I mean this in a nice way but cant wait till the cancel cultute tear shreds into this thread :)

That’s not entirely true. They both have a similar intercepting and spoiling game. CJ is a much better rebounder though.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong

I watched the NAB pre-season game, and I would say both are good at intercept marking, but I wasn't sure if Khamis had the same wheels or not. My understanding is that Khamis has the much better kicking skills between the two.

Both are NGA pick ups, both have similar Humanitarian backgrounds from South Sudan and coming through the AFL system at the same time, who play half back and are the same height. I think they are okay to be compared.

Buks can run though so putting up Jiath - a kid with a similar spring in his step and is a similar height / weight / athletic profile isn't a bad comparison.
I do think due to composure/experience he often plays it 'safe' with his disposal so is really a work in progress but he's taken quite a few steps forward in the past 12 months. I think he'll manage a debut this year but I don;t see him as a legitimate KPD option (he's 190cm so would be the shortest in some of our starting midfields!)

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s actually a really good comparison after watching Buku in the preseason and at VFL level. Very very similar athletic traits, CJ definitely provides more run and rebound and this stage but that’s only just started to really shine in CJs game with his confidence/experience growing weekly. Hopefully we see the same with Buku when he gets his chance. I definitely noticed way more run and link up in his game at VFL level where he’s more comfortable, he’s honestly a class above at that level now. I think Buku definitely has the better foot skills too, he’s a lovely kick of the footy.

I’m pretty excited for this kid I can see him being a huge part of our future backline, he will be great for our lesser tall stocks as he can give such a good chop out. I really think we missed a trick in getting him a taste in round 1/2 with Wood and Croz out as there’s probably no room for him now in the foreseeable future

Wouldn't surprise me if Buku becomes the Easton Wood replacement

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Wouldn't surprise me if Buku becomes the Easton Wood replacement
I think that's what most people were saying when we originally drafted him. He's a bit of a slow burn but we can afford to keep a few players with a high ceiling on our list while the rest of the list is in a good state. He suits what Bevo is after in a defender with the athletic mediums in Williams, Crozier and Wood who can play tall/small and provide some rebound when required.

You just ignore the CCs and they'll go away.

Back