Welcome to the Bulldogs Arthur Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Arty a lot. Has plenty that suggests he could carve out a good career, just needs it to all come together.

Seems to lack a bit of understanding of what his role is and awareness of what to do and when to do it. As other posters have mentioned, these things can tidy right up with training and doing everything right with the available resources. Hopefully there’s some improvement again from next season onwards.

I hope I'm wrong but I am a little concerned about Arty. I haven't watched a heap of VFL footy, but from what I saw, I haven't seen someone this far off the pace at VFL level in a while. It's a big gap to bridge. Clearly has some elite attributes so I'm hopeful he turns it around. Would really help to have someone with his athleticism and speed in the AFL side.
Like you I hope Im wrong, but I just can't see a time when it all comes together for Arthur. Sure, he'll show the occasional glimpse during a passage of play that makes you sit back and go well ok there is something to work with there. Its obviously what got him on our list in the first place. The problem is that in the same passage of play he will often make you put this notion aside after he completely scrubs a kick or flies for a ball that he had no chance of marking. He really needs to slow down his game and get a solid grasp of the fundamentals before trying on the spectacular. The problem with doing this is that it robs him of his singular point of difference over all the other fringe players on the list. Exposing the glaring weakness in his game. That being his sub-par disposal. This is not something that most players hoping to carve out a niche as a small forward or winger usually bring to the table. Their careers usually live or die on the quality of their disposal.

When I watch him, I always think that his brain is working a little ahead of his hands and feet trying to write cheques that his skill set just cannot cash.

It’s strange though because his start to the year was fantastic, only a praccy of course but he looked great against the Bombers and I almost had him in the team round 1 because of how at home he looked. Then he was good in the VFL for a while and was so close to playing, was named EMG a number of times from memory and really could have easily been given a game at that stage. Then dropped right off and looked completely lost after that.

I’m confident his start to the year is more what we can expect from him
It might be an issue of mental fatigue. AFL Preseason and full season would be really taxing mentally for a first year player

Arty is the type of player Bevo will back in for a few more years imo, like Buku and Gardy. Different levels of players of course.

During the VFL coverage of one game they had an older bloke doing the special comments who seemed he was an ITK of our VFL program. He said that the coaching staff are working with him to fix his ground ball and crumbling game.

Artie also came in really underdeveloped physically, he started the season pretty well but he just got worn down.
Think this is pretty close to the mark. Not a lot of the kid, think he just ran out of puff towards the end of the season.

Think this is pretty close to the mark. Not a lot of the kid, think he just ran out of puff towards the end of the season.

It's why WA Colts form should always have an asterix next to it, it's a far lower standard of football than the VFL let alone the AFL. Now playing seniors in the WAFL or SANFL as an underage player? That's more indicative of how a player should perform in the VFL.

Arty is the type of player Bevo will back in for a few more years imo, like Buku and Gardy. Different levels of players of course.

During the VFL coverage of one game they had an older bloke doing the special comments who seemed he was an ITK of our VFL program. He said that the coaching staff are working with him to fix his ground ball and crumbling game.

Maybe we should consult Peter Bell for some crumbling advice?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe we should consult Peter Bell for some crumbling advice?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or the Wizz!

Arty was always going to be a slow burn. Plucked from regional WA to come over to Vic.
Different positions but Bedendo was raw as hell when he came to the club. He cracked for a debut in his second year and looked the goods. Couldn't get near it in the VFL in his first year.

Like you I hope Im wrong, but I just can't see a time when it all comes together for Arthur. Sure, he'll show the occasional glimpse during a passage of play that makes you sit back and go well ok there is something to work with there. Its obviously what got him on our list in the first place. The problem is that in the same passage of play he will often make you put this notion aside after he completely scrubs a kick or flies for a ball that he had no chance of marking. He really needs to slow down his game and get a solid grasp of the fundamentals before trying on the spectacular. The problem with doing this is that it robs him of his singular point of difference over all the other fringe players on the list. Exposing the glaring weakness in his game. That being his sub-par disposal. This is not something that most players hoping to carve out a niche as a small forward or winger usually bring to the table. Their careers usually live or die on the quality of their disposal.

When I watch him, I always think that his brain is working a little ahead of his hands and feet trying to write cheques that his skill set just cannot cash.
Agree with this. He attacks the ground ball with pace every time and 1/5 times it looks amazing how cleanly he picks the ball up. Then you realise it’s just good luck playing out as he fumbles and overruns the ball the other 4/5 times.

Having watched a lot of VFL this season I think this is an accurate assessment. Jones will need a lot of development in the off-season, physical and skills-wise if he's to make it to the next level. No doubt there is potential there but glimpses of it are just the start if he's to make the transition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Arty. After looking well off the required level in his first year he has knuckled down and seems to have improved a lot if pre-season reports are anything to go by.

I hope he has a good one. It'll be a great day for him and a small glimmer of hope for the future for the rest of us.

I am so rapt that arty gets his chance. I hope he has a great game and many more to come. Great news in a pretty bleak couple of weeks.

How good would it be to see Arty and the Flea working together in the forward line!
Both will have impact because they’re smart, quick and skilled. Something that we are in very short supply. Hope Arty is fully fit, would have preferred a game or two but beggars can’t be choosers I guess. Good luck Arty!!

Arfa!!

Warner Bros Wb GIF by Joker Movie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back