Welcome to the Bulldogs Arthur Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

My only worry would be his light frame. Exciting that he runs and breaks line but sometimes players like this get cut out of a game very easily with a bit of physical pressure.... RE: Bradley Hill

My only worry would be his light frame. Exciting that he runs and breaks line but sometimes players like this get cut out of a game very easily with a bit of physical pressure.... RE: Bradley Hill
I agree that Hill can be physically pressured out of playing his normal running game but at 179cm and 79kg he's certainly not lightly built.

Loved his reaction

Me too, wouldn’t surprise me if we told him we would take him at that pick if he was still available. They seemed pretty ready to go nuts, but still great to see.

That sort of energy and enthusiasm will be great for the group

Imagine his video if another club had drafted him.

Open on same lounge room scene and people.

Audio "GWS Giants draft Arthur Jones"

Stunned silence.

Jones looks down at his shoes before each person slowly stands, walks over to Jones and pats him on the shoulder saying "Sorry mate".

He is going to be an outside player for the first part of his career, thats for sure. I really dont want to see him come into the side as a small forward, Id rather see him developed exclusively thru the midfield in the 2s and come in that way when he is ready.

Arthur Jones will fit perfectly into the new wing/half forward role that was a hallmark of our finals success. When we don't have the ball push up to the wing and create an outnumber to win the ball back. When we have the ball run as fast as you can to the feet of the key forwards to impact the 'drop of ball'. Bailey Smith and to lesser extent Roarke Smith had huge success with this, often pushing to the wing and then running hard forward to create the outnumber in our forward line. There is no in-between anymore, if you play wing/half forward you need to have the traits ( speed, endurance and clean below the knees) to play this important role. This explains why Wallis struggled for a regular spot in the seniors, hopefully he can reinvent himself in the off-season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People suggesting a wing/half forward role is on the money. If you can run a 6.30 2km time trial, your strength is a waste in the forward pocket, and imagine how a 65kg frame would go either on the ball or in any position in defence - even a running one - that requires some element of defensive strength.

Why so long ?
Border & quarantine restrictions.
The kid is a project anyway, I think he'll be worth waiting for. Just seems to have a different dynamic to most in our group.

Good pick up, exciting player. Seen a few of his games, Reminded me of Brad Dick. He really suits the way the modern game is played. Looking forward to seeing him develop over the coming years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back