Welcome to the Bulldogs Arthur Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Mt Barker's Arthur Jones has received dozens of messages from his new teammates and coaches, including Western Bulldogs skipper Marcus Bontempelli, but he still can't believe his AFL dream is coming true.
“It hasn’t sunk in at all yet that I'm an AFL player,” Jones told the Advertiser.
Mt Barker’s Arthur Jones living his AFL dream

albanyadvertiser.com.au

It's not my intention to darken the mood here, but I'm just going to mention some facts.

A player taken outside pick 40 historically means it's more likely than not that they don't make it.

Historically speaking we don't have much luck with indigenous players. In the last 20 years, our best indigenous players have been Harbrow, Josh Hill and Liam Jones. All three players played their best footy after leaving us. We have had numerous other indigenous players who haven't been up to it. Skinner, Stack, Lynch, Fawkner, etc etc.

Hopefully with Jamarra and now Jones our luck changes, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'd rather set the bar low and be surprised by a player making it, rather than the counter to that.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
It's not my intention to darken the mood here, but I'm just going to mention some facts.

A player taken outside pick 40 historically means it's more likely than not that they don't make it.

Historically speaking we don't have much luck with indigenous players. In the last 20 years, our best indigenous players have been Harbrow, Josh Hill and Liam Jones. All three players played their best footy after leaving us. We have had numerous other indigenous players who haven't been up to it. Skinner, Stack, Lynch, Fawkner, etc etc.

Hopefully with Jamarra and now Jones our luck changes, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'd rather set the bar low and be surprised by a player making it, rather than the counter to that.
Bailey Dale pick 45, Caleb Daniel pick 46, Bailey Williams pick 48 they have turned out well

Bailey Dale pick 45, Caleb Daniel pick 46, Bailey Williams pick 48 they have turned out well
Quite true. That was my first thought too.

Now let’s make a list of picks from 40 to 49 over the last 10 years that didn’t make it to 50 games.

Could be a long one.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

We have drafted many players that haven't been up to it. Most were white and a handful were indigenous. The fact they didn't make it has no bearing on Jones. Whether he is black or white, they will set high expectations for him and expect him to succeed. We are excited to have another indigenous player on our list and we have high hopes for him. Go Arthur!

We have drafted many players that haven't been up to it. Most were white and a handful were indigenous. The fact they didn't make it has no bearing on Jones. Whether he is black or white, they will set high expectations for him and expect him to succeed. We are excited to have another indigenous player on our list and we have high hopes for him. Go Arthur!
I'm not talking about black and white, and I'm confused as to why you've brought that up. I'm even more confused by your comment, 'most were white and a handful were indigenous'.

I feel the much-maligned (unfairly) culture of the club has changed enormously in the last decade or more, with our community programs, including indigenous leadership and support, connection to the Ballarat region, and some excellent and dedicated staff members. I think Arthur will be embraced by all facets of the club, he will be great for us and vice versa. Has the potential to become a fan and kids’ favourite.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not talking about black and white, and I'm confused as to why you've brought that up. I'm even more confused by your comment, 'most were white and a handful were indigenous'.
You said we haven't had much luck with indigenous players in the past and then you rattle off a few names. So you are the one who brought it up, not me. What I am saying is that just because players like Stack, Lynch, Faulkner, Skinner didn't make it doesn't mean Jones won't. Why shouldn't we get excited by him?

Now let’s make a list of picks from 40 to 49 over the last 10 years that didn’t make it to 50 games.

Could be a long one.
Just did a quick (rough) check. From 2010 to 2017 there were 80 picks in the range 40-49 and it seems about 20 of them have made it to 50 games or more. That's leaving out a handful of FS picks such as Libba and Lachie Hunter. So about 20 out of 70-75 picks in the 40s made a reasonable career of it. Seems about right.

I'm not having a go BTW, just supporting the earlier point that historically picks in the 40s are more likely to fail than succeed - ratio nearly 3:1.

There might be a case to be made that we have done somewhat better than the league average over that period but it's unlikely to be completely flipped the other way.

Having said all that, every pick is unique and no draftee should feel the weight of history on his shoulders. They've made a list, therefore they have the chance.

I'm on board the Arthur Jones train!

You said we haven't had much luck with indigenous players in the past and then you rattle off a few names. So you are the one who brought it up, not me. What I am saying is that just because players like Stack, Lynch, Faulkner, Skinner didn't make it doesn't mean Jones won't. Why shouldn't we get excited by him?
Your post seemed to imply that indigenous players can't have white skin. I just found that confusing and disrespectful.

Anyway, I forgot about Lindsay Gilbee. He's definitely the best indigenous player we've had in the last 20 years. Coincidentally we also drafted him with pick 43.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Is this necessary? Are you doing the same for Cleary and Parker? Is "hey, this kid who looks good and who you're keen to see debut is probably going to be a failure" a good contribution to a welcome thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this necessary? Are you doing the same for Cleary and Parker? Is "hey, this kid who looks good and who you're keen to see debut is probably going to be a failure" a good contribution to a welcome thread?
No, I'm not doing the same for them, and I haven't noticed a whole lot of discussion about them. A lot of discussion about Jones, though, even more so than Darcy.

I'm so confused right now.

Anywho, Mark West is another Indigenous player we drafted with pick 43. Had it not been for injury, he'd have likely been a very good player for us.
You should just stop now. Please.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think one of the reasons we would have liked Arthur is that he's the type of character that will enhance our efforts to make the club more welcoming and desirable to indigenous players.

Like Jamara, he has a strong connection to his indigenous culture and heritage but spent time at an elite private school so is acclimatised to western society. Both boys seem as comfortable in indigenous communities as they do in cities.

Furthermore he seems like a very magnetic and likeable character which should help endear him to all his team mates.

Hopefully he can develop and become a regular in the firsts.

Hoping Arthur and the WA boys can stay training with the main group soon.

Varcoe should be very good for Arthur. Can't wait to see how he develops. Pretty light so may take a while

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club

Could be a long one.
Umpire Mofra at the bowler's end, Umpire Mutt at Square Leg. Just short of a length, lifting, outside off stump. Offers no stroke. Well played DW

Last edited:

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You've probably summed him up nicely - presence and energy. He's one of those people that people just want to be around. 100% positive energy and always, always smiling and happy. Hadn't seen Arthur for about 15/16 months since he left our school, went to watch him play in July/August this year. This is the kid summed up, he spotted me at the huddle, broke away, came over and gave me a hug and thanked me for coming to watch him play. He is impossible to not like.
that is gold! I love him already

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Don’t look at the history of past recruiter’s decisions look at the current recruiters and what they have done with later picks. The Bulldogs recruiters are the best in the business and know how to pick talent better than most. Just look at our current list and our talent development program with Footscray. Is is top notch. We are setting the standard that other teams follow.

Cup half full or empty? We also have a Norm Smith medalist who was a rookie, along with his premiership team mate who is now a valued assistant coach at Fremantle and another much loved premiership defender was also a rookie. Our premiership captain was taken at #43.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back