Welcome to the Bulldogs Cody Raak

For those that haven't seen Raak play

He's a very aggressive defender that has the ability to play as a midfielder in terms of disposals %
Can also play a lock down role on talls and smalls

huge upsize on the lad once he fills his body out

His brother is a speedy midfielder atm

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those that haven't seen Raak play

He's a very aggressive defender that has the ability to play as a midfielder in terms of disposals %
Can also play a lock down role on talls and smalls

huge upsize on the lad once he fills his body out

His brother is a speedy midfielder atm

A 191cm lockdown defender isn't quite the KPD we were hoping for but I'm not complaining at all

I thought I’d read somewhere he’d grown a bit, 194 is goood news
He's still on the light side for a 194cm player. Bob Murphy though much shorter had a similar build and was able to fashion a very long and successful career but he had exceptional evasive skills, foot skills and decision making. I haven't read anything to suggest Raak has similar skill levels so he's just got to do the basics consistently well. There's no doubting his application and determination.

The danger is that he will be too easily brushed aside by big-bodied opponents.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's still on the light side for a 194cm player. Bob Murphy though much shorter had a similar build and was able to fashion a very long and successful career but he had exceptional evasive skills, foot skills and decision making. I haven't read anything to suggest Raak has similar skill levels so he's just got to do the basics consistently well. There's no doubting his application and determination.

His efforts in building up his body have been really commendable, might be able to get some more weight and strength on him.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Doesn’t really have the same body type as Bob IMO, bob never got much above 80kgs. His body looks like it’s more than capable of stacking on a few more kgs he’s only a kid after all. Should easily be able to get to the 194/95 mark in a few preseasons I’d imagine, from what I’ve seen he relies more on his reading of the game for his intercepting/racking up disposals rather than athleticism so it shouldn’t affect him too much to bulk up.

He’s obviously always been slight but for anyone whose seen a bit of him, how is his one on one work? Is he a realistic chance to develop into a genuine 2nd defender or will always be more of a 3rd tall type? Maybe the club knowing of his growth see him as a genuine KPD and that’s another reason we didn’t target one in the draft which people were upset with

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's a great physical improvement in a season. All you could ask for from a 19 year old kid trying to make it. Would love to see Moz take him under his wing.

Hopefully he develops like Ridley from the bombers.
Not a bad comparison.
FWIW Jake Lever is 194cm as well. It's not like Cody's going to have Snow White as his player sponsor

Back