It’s Flea time - Cody Weightman appreciation thread

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The key word in the opening post is Small

However you have to be a good player to get this far and his the player they wanted

Personally I would have went with a taller player

Good luck Cody Weightman

Like the hair

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Nothing I have seen in highlights scream ” star “
like the energy he brings.
he is a reliable kick at goal right ? , yet kicking skills need work ?

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
DOWNS
- tackling
The AFL.com.au highlights video doesn't show much defensive pressure, but the highlights video on the Bulldogs website does. I'm not sure why you've highlighted tackling as an issue? He can do the defensive stuff too. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: Found the footage, see for yourself. There are multiple defensive efforts on display in there.

Last edited:
The AFL.com.au highlights video doesn't show much defensive pressure, but the highlights video on the Bulldogs website does. I'm not sure why you've highlighted tackling as an issue? He can do the defensive stuff too. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: Found the footage, see for yourself. There are multiple defensive efforts on display in there.

That's exactly why I put "defensive pressure, second efforts" in the UPS section. His stats show though he doesn't stick that many tackles. Whether you think that's important when his defensive pressure is good is up to you.

I saw him on Ch 7 tonight. What a joy to see his own joy on being drafted. When I was his age "being drafted" had a whole different meaning. Thank God these guys don't have to worry about that and can enjoy their youth. I hope I'm around long enough to see their dreams of a premiership come true.

Collingwood supporter before yesterday. That's no problem. The magpie family at our place easily converted to Doggies (free mince helps!).
b4eb48d6c9dcff4954bd92f9616c9b50.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know his tackling numbers aren't great but from the very brief vision he at least looks to tackle with intent.
That is to say he tackles to win the ball back rather than lots of stoppage tackles to lock the ball in. And the repeat efforts were very pleasing. I feel like that absolute will to get the ball is something that can't be taught - where field kicking for instance can be.

I remember reading somewhere that Cody does have very good defensive pressure, and they explained his low tackle numbers with his relentless attack at the ball.

More thoughts on the tackle count debate ...

1. Is it legit to compare a forward's tackling numbers with those of a typical midfielder? (Disclaimer: I don't think anybody has done that explicitly but it might have been a subconscious reference point.) We all accept that midfielders rack up higher disposal counts because they are always close to the centre of the action while defenders and forwards (especially deep ones) don't get the same number of opportunities. So it's probably fairer to compare tackling numbers to other forwards rather than to midfielders. Just a few quick checks show that Sam Lloyd and Tory Dickson average between 2.6 and 2.8 tackles while Jackson Macrae averages close to 4.8. Matty Robbins was one of our better small forwards but averaged under 2.0 (albeit a different era). Even Eddie Betts only averages a tad over 3.0 tackles. Jaidyn Stephenson (who Cody has been compared to) averages 2.6.

2. Tackles are only one measure of defensive pressure but we use them a lot because they are widely reported and hence readily accessible. However we should be looking at pressure acts generally - many pressure acts don't result in a tackle but if they result in your side winning the ball or if they hold up the opposition or create errors and stoppages then they might be just as effective. Watching Cody's video made me think of this because his aggressive attack on the ball and player sometimes led to a turnover even if it wasn't a registered tackle.

What all this means in terms of Cody's game I don't know. I'm just saying we need to look at the bigger picture.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I saw him on Ch 7 tonight. What a joy to see his own joy on being drafted. When I was his age "being drafted" had a whole different meaning. Thank God these guys don't have to worry about that and can enjoy their youth. I hope I'm around long enough to see their dreams of a premiership come true.
You will be brother. Im sensing something special with this list.

Love Island?

Delist immediately
That's exactly what I thought when I heard that. Actually I had thought about being a dolphin trainer before I became a teacher. However, my experience with anything salt water at that stage was nil. And Lake Michigan smelt(look 'em up) are a bit too small to train successfully. :)

Back