dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
With the quality of Schache's kicking, I can see him pushing further up the ground and providing a tall marking option out of defence.
Not the craziest of suggestions. He's still not a natural for contested possession and CMs. Playing an extended spell in defence might help him learn that. Or it might work so well he becomes the next Brian Lake or Liam Jones, forward misfits who found their true calling well after they entered senior footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CaptainMurphy

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not the craziest of suggestions. He's still not a natural for contested possession and CMs. Playing an extended spell in defence might help him learn that. Or it might work so well he becomes the next Brian Lake or Liam Jones, forward misfits who found their true calling well after they entered senior footy.
I don't think he meant play as a defender, I think he meant play high enough that he's the option for the defenders to kick to.

Triple Baileys

All Australian
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With the quality of Schache's kicking, I can see him pushing further up the ground and providing a tall marking option out of defence.
I want to see the whole team adopt a long kicking pattern. That's what we did in the 2nd half of 2019. It's the fastest way to move the ball. But you have to back yourselves to win contested situations. And we have the playing personnel to do that and win. Sit Bruce deep for the final bomb. Have Naughton playing between high and deep with his great contested marking skills and mobility. Have the Schache attack playing very high like you said. He can also take set shots from the lead from 50+ out no probs.

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I don't think he meant play as a defender, I think he meant play high enough that he's the option for the defenders to kick to.
Maybe not, but it's not such a dumb idea.

Besides this is the same club that took a generational talent as a contested marking defender - one who finished fourth in the club's B&F in that role in his first year - and tried to make a forward out of him. What were they thinking?

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I want to see the whole team adopt a long kicking pattern. That's what we did in the 2nd half of 2019. It's the fastest way to move the ball. But you have to back yourselves to win contested situations. And we have the playing personnel to do that and win. Sit Bruce deep for the final bomb. Have Naughton playing between high and deep with his great contested marking skills and mobility. Have the Schache attack playing very high like you said. He can also take set shots from the lead from 50+ out no probs.
We finally have the marking power to contemplate doing this. However we need to have more than trick. Our launches of handpasses and swift ball movement from half back were just about the best in the league last year. Let's not throw that out and become a monoculture just because we have some contested marking beasts at last.

Floridog

All Australian
Mar 8, 2014
Southwest Florida
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Florida Everblades
We finally have the marking power to contemplate doing this. However we need to have more than trick. Our launches of handpasses and swift ball movement from half back were just about the best in the league last year. Let's not throw that out and become a monoculture just because we have some contested marking beasts at last.
[Insert why not both GIF]

Triple Baileys

All Australian
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
True. We gotta mix the fix. We have to bake and shake.

0utsider

All Australian
Jul 19, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Baines was on trade radio a few weeks back suggesting that exactly this was the plan. I think we’ll end up with a similar forward line set-up to Adelaide at their best, with one stay at home pure FF (Bruce, Jenkins), a strong marking CHF (Naughts, Tex) and a lead up marking third tall (Schache, Lynch).

That said, I’ll take Naughts and Bruce over Tex and Jenkins any day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Already ditched the long locks. Scrubs up real nice, does Brucey.
Im imaging a display of strutting as the two mullets attempted to dominate their rival for forward line alpha. cue the video clip with voiceover by David Attenborough

Top Bottom