News Welcome to the Bulldogs Josh Schache

Will Josh Schache play R1?

• Yes

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 44 51.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing wrong with having a couple of developmental prospects on the list. Schache has some elite traits, just needs time and a decent run at it to build his confidence back up.

Not to mention he's dealt with some pretty serious mental health issues. Cut him some slack and have some patience.

I don't totally agree with the pace off the mark call, but everything else he said at the end I agree with. He's a very smart forward and a beautiful kick of the ball. Two things we don't have a lot of. Hopefully the mental health stuff can get sorted and he can get some competitiveness in his game as well.

Disappointing he’s missing this week with that ankle injury. Hopefully he’s back up and running next week - gets some games under the belt and build some form.

Think he’ll be a great player in time, has a lot of attributes and is only 20. Would love to get a few senior games into him this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really worried about this kid. I have not seen any improvement from him since we picked him up. Actually, if anything he has gone backwards. At least at Brisbane he was occassionally getting a game. Since we picked him up we have not named him once despite the fact that half our 22 are first or second year players. Serious questions about whether or not he even wants to be here. Mattdoogie reportedly saw him out boozing during the offseason. Complete disregard for the culture we are trying to create.

How many key fowards do we have to ruin before we do something? Boyd, Cloke and now presumably Schache. It's time to STOP.

Really worried about this kid. I have not seen any improvement from him since we picked him up. Actually, if anything he has gone backwards. At least at Brisbane he was occassionally getting a game. Since we picked him up we have not named him once despite the fact that half our 22 are first or second year players. Serious questions about whether or not he even wants to be here. Mattdoogie reportedly saw him out boozing during the offseason. Complete disregard for the culture we are trying to create.

How many key fowards do we have to ruin before we do something? Boyd, Cloke and now presumably Schache. It's time to STOP.

Other than a half of our JLT game against the Hawks how much of him have you actually seen play?

"Serious questions" and and then citing MD as a credible sauce. You is funny and you very nearly got me there.

Hasn't played a game with us yet and has "gone backwards with us" :rolleyes: Couldn't be a more ridiculous claim made. Its like calling a draftee s**t and should be delisted before he has even played a game

He is a long term project and showed enough in his first season at the Lions to show their is something to work with.

Hasn't played a game with us yet and has "gone backwards with us" :rolleyes: Couldn't be a more ridiculous claim made. Its like calling a draftee s**t and should be delisted before he has even played a game

He is a long term project and showed enough in his first season at the Lions to show their is something to work with.
Look who posted that ...

Josh Schache is younger than Sam Weideman (picks 2 & 9 in 2015) and leads him in every single per game statistic despite being roundly criticised as a bust and playing in a team that went 3-24 in his 27 games.

So Josh is not as bad as....Weideman? Cool.

Be interesting to see how Josh's career pans out. Big question is intensity. Can't recall anyone being overly successful at anything without intensity.

Im tipping a career trajectory similar to Vickery.

Hope he proves me wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Josh is not as bad as....Weideman? Cool.

Be interesting to see how Josh's career pans out. Big question is intensity. Can't recall anyone being overly successful at anything without intensity.

Im tipping a career trajectory similar to Vickery.

Hope he proves me wrong.

What is you opinion that he's "without intensity" based on, exactly? What does that mean?

Schache was run into the ground by the Lions over his first season as an 18 year old, in an abysmal side that went 2-15 when he played. Then he had some poor form as a 19 year old that was compounded by homesickness and a club that was trying to recruit him on the cheap putting a few stories out (Richmond).

Even this year, he's 20 years old and won't be 21 until the last game of the season.

Here's a flashback to what he was like in his first season, when he was taking the best defender every week as the main target in an awful team, as many seem to have forgotten:

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-08-04/five-to-watch:

"He's a workhorse who has played more minutes than all but 40 AFL players this year (as at Round 17) - making him the only first-year player in the top 100 players for minuted played until the end of Round 16."

Josh Schache won’t play again in 2017 says Lions coach Justin Leppitsch:

"BRISBANE coach Justin Leppitsch says Josh Schache is whacked and his team should already be stacked with a priority pick.

Lions young gun Josh Schache will miss Saturday’s clash with Carlton at the Gabba and will play no further part in the season after succumbing to a heavy workload in his debut campaign.

The 18-year-old was the No.2 pick in last year’s draft and kicked 16 goals in 17 games when he covered team-high kilometres and attracted more defensive attention than most first-year players.

“He won’t play again this year. He’s done enough” Leppitsch said.

We’ve put a lot of weight and load through him this year and it’s a bit unfair on the youngest player in the comp.

At one point I think he was top-10 in loads in the competition before we rested him last time, so that’s a fair weight for a first year key (forward) to handle.

“We thought as a club it’s the right move with him. He’s been terrific this year for the group and he’s given our supporters some hope.’’
"

Do you really think a KPF that is "without intensity" would be literally the hardest running player at his club as an 18 year old (and the youngest player in the AFL)? It sounds more to me like a cool little throw-away line to parrot, like comparing him to a maligned former player that didn't play at all similarly, e.g. Tyrone Vickery.

Last edited:
What is you opinion that he's "without intensity" based on, exactly? What does that mean?

Schache was run into the ground by the Lions over his first season as an 18 year old, in an abysmal side that went 2-15 when he played. Then he had some poor form as a 19 year old that was compounded by homesickness and a club that was trying to recruit him on the cheap putting a few stories out (Richmond).

Even this year, he's 20 years old and won't be 21 until the last game of the season.

Here's a flashback to what he was like in his first season, when he was taking the best defender every week as the main target in an awful team, as many seem to have forgotten:

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-08-04/five-to-watch:

Josh Schache won’t play again in 2017 says Lions coach Justin Leppitsch:

Do you really think a KPF that is "without intensity" would be literally the hardest running player at his club as an 18 year old (and the youngest player in the AFL)? It sounds more to me like a cool little throw-away line to parrot, like comparing him to a maligned former player that didn't play at all similarly, e.g. Tyrone Vickery.

When I say intensity, I mean aggression at the contest and desire to win.

If you choose to think intensity means that someone runs well. Thats your call.

Yet to see much in the way of intensity from Josh.

Comparing approach to the contest with Vickery and that both are big blokes who appear to lack intensity. So my guess is Josh will have his good days with a whole lot of mediocre

Hope that clarifies things for you although I imagine you understood perfectly what I meant and simply dont agree. Of course I hope you are correct.

sidenote, Intereting Leppa is mentioned, and interesting the Tiges passed on Josh with Leppa on their payroll when their developing tall fwd needs were even greater than ours...

When I say intensity, I mean aggression at the contest and desire to win.

If you choose to think intensity means that someone runs well. Thats your call.

Yet to see much in the way of intensity from Josh.

"without intensity" is your phrase, not mine. Evidently it excludes "hard working", which I find utterly baffling. Surely you have to acknowledge that "aggression at the contest and desire to win" is even fluffier than "without intensity".

In 2016 (2/3 of his games played) he lead the Lions in contested marks whilst being their main KPF, as an 18 year old. To me that suggests he demonstrated "aggression at the [marking] contests"; that and the fact he covered more ground than anyone at the club while spending the most minutes on ground suggests he demonstrated a "desire to win".

Comparing approach to the contest with Vickery and that both are big blokes who appear to lack intensity. So my guess is Josh will have his good days with a whole lot of mediocre

Hope that clarifies things for you although I imagine you understood perfectly what I meant and simply dont agree. Of course I hope you are correct.

Aside from both being "big blokes", Vickery and Schache are completely different players. Schache is a workhorse CHF while Vickery was a stay at home FF and second ruck. They don't even have the same knocks on them as players, as Vickery was mostly targeted for being a "dumb" footballer that lacked concentration and that's not even remotely true for Schache.

sidenote, Intereting Leppa is mentioned, and interesting the Tiges passed on Josh with Leppa on their payroll when their developing tall fwd needs were even greater than ours...

It's interesting only if you forget that Richmond didn't have a second round pick to trade to Brisbane after the Prestia trade the year before and wanted to downgrade pick 15 to two second round picks because they had Naish as f/s. Also, the Dusty contract (and others) and winning a flag.

"without intensity" is your phrase, not mine. Evidently it excludes "hard working", which I find utterly baffling. Surely you have to acknowledge that "aggression at the contest and desire to win" is even fluffier than "without intensity".

In 2016 (2/3 of his games played) he lead the Lions in contested marks whilst being their main KPF, as an 18 year old. To me that suggests he demonstrated "aggression at the [marking] contests"; that and the fact he covered more ground than anyone at the club while spending the most minutes on ground suggests he demonstrated a "desire to win".

Aside from both being "big blokes", Vickery and Schache are completely different players. Schache is a workhorse CHF while Vickery was a stay at home FF and second ruck. They don't even have the same knocks on them as players, as Vickery was mostly targeted for being a "dumb" footballer that lacked concentration and that's not even remotely true for Schache.

It's interesting only if you forget that Richmond didn't have a second round pick to trade to Brisbane after the Prestia trade the year before and wanted to downgrade pick 15 to two second round picks because they had Naish as f/s. Also, the Dusty contract (and others) and winning a flag.

Agree to disagree

Not sure where the old "lacks intensity" chestnut has come from. Kid can play.
He's also not the first teenager to drop his head when homesick. Either way he's with us and it might behoove some of our more jumpy contributors to wait until he's uninjured and has had a chance to wear our colours in a competitive match before they write him off as akin to a curly haired felon.

His dad died when he was five and as soon as he leaves school he’s forced to move interstate away from his mum; to a club that lurches from one problem to another.

I might lack intensity for a while myself, if I was him.

I think he’s going to be a very good player.

First game for the doggies, well done Schack! Where is the jumper presentation video?

You think ? Still looks like half throttle to me , nothing changes apart from the jumper

Back