News Welcome to the Bulldogs Josh Schache

Will Josh Schache play R1?

• Yes

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 44 51.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Improves every week, he is benefitting from continuity in the ones. I like what he has given us so far. If we can forgive him for not being a big, macho, aggressive, white knight, Grant-Carey clone and just let him keep developing, it'll pay dividends. He could do himself a favour and find a better 2nd effort when the ball goes to ground, but I think he puts a lot of effort into the first contest and most examples of him looking soft or careless result from that.

Play to his strengths. He is a hard working athletic type, a reliable kick with a pretty solid footy IQ. Got a few tricks. Goes to the ball mostly, or halves it when it's popped right up.
His running patterns are elite...

Misconceptions are he is poor below the knees... he is actually pretty good, and that he can’t take pack marks...
These 2 areas will improve when he builds a tank and confidence...

Really impressed with him considering we know how much improvement he has to come. He is 4 to 5 years away from his peak and he is already clearly best 22 and improving every week.

He seems to be trending up where boyd seems to have stalled... who would you rather have on the list moving forward between the two... boyd needs to improve his marking or he is going to be a plodder the rest of his career

Misconceptions are he is poor below the knees... he is actually pretty good, and that he can’t take pack marks...
How’s Noah Balta looking for you guys? He (pick 25) and Andrew McPherson from Adelaide (pick 40) and the picks we gave up for him. Looking pretty good to date

Yep, and after watching him live for the first time yesterday, he always seems to know where the ball will go and gets into position to provide an option.

Building nicely. Finds plenty of the ball for a 20 year old key forward. I reckon that's half the battle. The more he plays, the more touches he gets, the more he'll grow in confidence and improve.

Should be a nice 30-40 goal a year forward when we're up and about.
Yeah I see him as a hard leading endurance type of centre half forward, a position we have not had in years (Sir Christopher had a more rounded game but probably hung inside 50 a bit more around the 30-55m mark)

If he can add a bonafide aerial presence to his hard leads then he could be a 50-60 goal a year forward, as it stands he's improving in this regard but needs to put a few more kilos on and fill out to handle the gorillas.

Yeah I see him as a hard leading endurance type of centre half forward, a position we have not had in years (Sir Christopher had a more rounded game but probably hung inside 50 a bit more around the 30-55m mark)

If he can add a bonafide aerial presence to his hard leads then he could be a 50-60 goal a year forward, as it stands he's improving in this regard but needs to put a few more kilos on and fill out to handle the gorillas.

He leads and finds space really well, and he's very sharp by foot, so I think he'll spend a lot of time at half forward as one of our best link options. IMO think if you look at what Adelaide's Tom Lynch did through his peak it's a pretty good indicator for what Josh could be. Josh probably won't crack a 20 disposal average, but he's also a much better contested mark, so I think he'll have more stints close to goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm exciting by Schache. When he first came to the club I thought how did this bloke even get drafted, he can't actually mark the ball and his second efforts are non-existent. I was wrong, although I'd like to see a bit more on the second effort category but it has improved. His kicking is elite. He will get stronger and stronger and he is still learning the game, but learning fast. Exciting

Back