News Welcome to the Bulldogs Josh Schache

Will Josh Schache play R1?

• Yes

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 44 51.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I pushing for try the Schach Back movement. He could do a Liam Jones who looked soft until he was moved to the back line. Unfortunately no twos at the moment so he would have to be tried in scratch matches before making the seniors. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I think there is a spot for him but would mean rehashing the team. Bevo seems intent on making Naughts into a KPF, just seems like he may not be doing him any favours.
Naughts down back to build his confidence and get into the game a bit more and Schache up forward. Could help the both of them and the team.
Can always send Naughts forward at different times to change it up.

Schache is soft for an AFL footballer. But he’s in our best team IMO.

He knows how to play, has excellent field kicking skills, a nice set shot, and a big engine.

I’d like him in and Naughton back.
Now that we have Bruce, Schache and Ugle-Hagen coming in next year, can someone please explain to me why we're still trying to turn Naughts into a KPF when he's a horrible shot for goal and we're screaming out for a good quality backman to pair with Keath???

Please???????

Now that we have Bruce, Schache and Ugle-Hagen coming in next year, can someone please explain to me why we're still trying to turn Naughts into a KPF when he's a horrible shot for goal and we're screaming out for a good quality backman to pair with Keath???

Please???????
Because he has the potential to be a generational talent as a forward?

Please???????
Because he is the best of the lot up front.

Please???????

Because Schaches defensive efforts and physicality are at the lowest level you can possibility obtain and only reaches effectiveness when the balls on a silver platter.

The difference in second efforts between Naughton/Bruce (especially when he played for St Kilda) in comparison to Schache is chalk and cheese.

Schaches the type that could kick 20 goals in 6 games if our midfield is completely dominating. But Throw him in a finals like environment when contested marks and defensive efforts are everything then he’s one of the last players on our list that I’d select for that type of game.

Josh Bruce was brought in for this very reason. He’s unfit right now but his physicality and marking is far far superior.

Also a gigantic reason why Schache kicked as many goals as he did was that Naughton was copping all of the defensive attention last season.

Last edited:
Because Schaches defensive efforts and physicality are at the lowest level you can possibility obtain and only reaches effectiveness when the balls on a silver platter.

The difference in second efforts between Naughton/Bruce (especially when he played for St Kilda) in comparison to Schache is chalk and cheese.

Schaches the type that could kick 20 goals in 6 games if our midfield is completely dominating. But Throw him in a finals like environment when contested marks and defensive efforts are everything then he’s one of the last players on our list that I’d select for that type of game.

Josh Bruce was brought in for this very reason. He’s unfit right now but his physicality and marking is far far superior.

Also a gigantic reason why Schache kicked as many goals as he did was that Naughton was copping all of the defensive attention last season.

You could inset JJ into this rather than Schache yet he remains in the side as a backman

You could inset JJ into this rather than Schache yet he remains in the side as a backman
That’s true. But KPF depth is far greater than a true speedster off half back.

if we had only one of Bruce/Naughton then I’d pick Schache (and id choose him to replace Naughts this week) but with both available he misses out for me.

Bump

Anyone with new thoughts on Mr Josh Schache?

I'd like to retract my call that Josh would likely have a similar inconsistent and mediocre career trajectory to another big bloke who never hit packs hard with possible intensity issues - Ty Vickery. Seems in hindsight I was a bit generous to Josh. But then I may be premature as Josh hasn't had his seven years as a big bloke to prove himself yet.

Bump

Anyone with new thoughts on Mr Josh Schache?

I'd like to retract my call that Josh would likely have a similar inconsistent and mediocre career trajectory to another big bloke who never hit packs hard with possible intensity issues - Ty Vickery. Seems in hindsight I was a bit generous to Josh. But then I may be premature as Josh hasn't had his seven years as a big bloke to prove himself yet.
I understand JUH is coming but as good as a junior career is you never know. Schache still has his faults but don’t feel Bevo has given him the best chances at it as others. Natural forward, knows where the goals are. Agile and whilst not a contested marking beast can mark. Anyway that’s why Naughton is up there. Like Bruce and has tried hard and will play some good games but I wasn’t as keen as some others. I definitely didn’t want to overpay. Anyway because Schache has become a talking point thought I would rewatch some highlights and I still liked what I sore during live games. He can have a shocker but he ain’t alone.

This is certainly a good one to watch if you want to see how Josh scores his goals.

Not many of them are via playing as a KPF, in fact theres probably 3 contested marks and 4-5 marks on the lead. The majority are via good finishing ability as well as free kicks that he gets.

I'm not going to compare him to Naught cause it's an unfair comparison to make (considering Naught kicks nearly all his goals via traditional KPF ways), but really Josh plays like a 199cm Lipinski. He is class but his aggression is non existent, I certainly wouldn't describe him as agile, nor does he use his reach nearly often enough to his advantage. Hence why you can play a much small opponent on him.

Basically if you are selecting Naught and Schache as the tall forwards, your only really selecting one marking power forward in reality.

Then it becomes a question of Can you select two KPF's alongside Schache. For defensive pressure purposes I think thats a no. Bev knows it too thats why he hasn't ever since 2018 selected Schache in a 3 tall forward setup (Naughton, Cordy and Schache - played in 2018 as tall forwards against North melbourne, due to Roberts, Adams and Moz all being available). And its a fair argument to say Cordy prioritises defensive efforts such as tackling and bringing the ball to the ground. That structure won't ever happen again now that Bruce and JUH will be both on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always think of Schache as a Darling type, he hasn’t filled out completely yet, but I think he is still learning. Give him a bit more time.

Also he gets the umps eye, not like other forwards who get nothing.

This is certainly a good one to watch if you want to see how Josh scores his goals.

Not many of them are via playing as a KPF, in fact theres probably 3 contested marks and 4-5 marks on the lead. The majority are via good finishing ability as well as free kicks that he gets.

I'm not going to compare him to Naught cause it's an unfair comparison to make (considering Naught kicks nearly all his goals via traditional KPF ways), but really Josh plays like a 199cm Lipinski. He is class but his aggression is non existent, I certainly wouldn't describe him as agile, nor does he use his reach nearly often enough to his advantage. Hence why you can play a much small opponent on him.

Basically if you are selecting Naught and Schache as the tall forwards, your only really selecting one marking power forward in reality.

Then it becomes a question of Can you select two KPF's alongside Schache. For defensive pressure purposes I think thats a no. Bev knows it too thats why he hasn't ever since 2018 selected Schache in a 3 tall forward setup (Naughton, Cordy and Schache - played in 2018 as tall forwards against North melbourne, due to Roberts, Adams and Moz all being available). And its a fair argument to say Cordy prioritises defensive efforts such as tackling and bringing the ball to the ground. That structure won't ever happen again now that Bruce and JUH will be both on the list.

Good points. A counter point is Schache is still working on the defensive side of his game like even Macrae was at a similar age and many others finding their way in AFL. I know different positions he just sprung too mind. I like Naughty/ Schach combo with medium/small around them. Particularly with JUM coming. Hard match ups all dangerous in air and ground. Your right Bevo doesn’t see it that way getting Bruce. IMO Bruce has been slowly slipping last few seasons even before Dogs.

A shout out to Josh Schache. He is contributing nicely since his return. I think Josh might be a fine bottle of Pinot, just starting to turn into a good-un late.

Love it when he has the ball. His career has hope. I’m not so sure though that he plays this weekend. I think Bont steals his spot forward and we bring in extra pressure in a Garcia

Love it when he has the ball. His career has hope. I’m not so sure though that he plays this weekend. I think Bont steals his spot forward and we bring in extra pressure in a Garcia
I'd be loathe to make that change. When Bruce went down, our forward line was all at sea for a couple of weeks, until Schache became the 3rd genuinely tall option. Reckon he's important structurally.

I think if you can get Josh to sign at a bargain price you keep him. Has up side as a key back once he has done a preseason. I agree that his physicality needs to improve but lets not forget how woeful Gardner was when he first started. If you compare the two, Ryan is more physical than josh in terms of spoiling the ball however he will never have Josh's kicking ability and footy smarts. I think if the club can get Josh punching the ball and working on his defensive positioning he could definitely fill a gap for us down back next year and be serviceable. Its all about confidence.

I think if you can get Josh to sign at a bargain price you keep him. Has up side as a key back once he has done a preseason. I agree that his physicality needs to improve but lets not forget how woeful Gardner was when he first started. If you compare the two, Ryan is more physical than josh in terms of spoiling the ball however he will never have Josh's kicking ability and footy smarts. I think if the club can get Josh punching the ball and working on his defensive positioning he could definitely fill a gap for us down back next year and be serviceable. Its all about confidence.

Is Josh out of contract?

Would love to know what is the most concentative games he has played whilst at the Bulldogs.

IMO continuity is the key for him.

Back