Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Luke Cleary

Sandringham Dragons, NAB League / Beaumaris FC

State: Victoria Metro

Height: 189cm

Weight: 80kg

Date of Birth: 05/03/02

Invited to the NAB AFL Draft Combine last year but overlooked in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, he has bounced back, taking every opportunity to impress including strong performances in the Victorian Young Guns match as well as representing Victoria Metro at under-19s level. This complemented his polished performances for the Sandringham Dragons, playing seven matches and averaging 20.1 disposals at 82 per cent efficiency (a strong indication of his composure with the ball in hand). A fine intercept mark and reader of the play across half-back, he finished runner-up in the Dragons' best-and-fairest award this year.

Sticky hands and looks like he loves a tackle.

"...and finishing runner up to Finn Callahan (selected at pick three in the Draft) in the Club’s Best and Fairest"

Couldn't have done much more to get a shot at the bigtime. Welcome and good luck to him.

Intercept defenders are always welcome here. Will hopefully fill the void of Wood in a few years time.
We can't rely on Crozier re-capturing form either.

Don't mind the pick. Is he not a little similar to Lachie Young who we only recently traded out?

Yeah, we have a few mid sized defenders now. Took me by surprise. They might have a different position in mind?
Keep in mind, the club would have no expectations that he would be playing AFL anytime soon. Our mid size defenders are listed below. By the time he could potentially come 'good', Croizer & O'Brien will be at the tail end of their careers. It's not a hugely inspiring list.

Williams - 24
Crozier - 28
O'Brien - 27
Khamis - 21

Keep in mind, the club would have no expectations that he would be playing AFL anytime soon. Our mid size defenders are listed below. By the time he could potentially come 'good', Croizer & O'Brien will be at the tail end of their careers. It's not a hugely inspiring list.

Williams - 24
Crozier - 28
O'Brien - 27
Khamis - 21
I still have doubts over Khamis' tank long term. If I had a say I'd still look at Raak as a Cat B

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a nice size. And before any of you come in here saying, "but my wife says size doesn't matter blah blah." She's lying mate.
My wife is just happy I have a nine incher.

In unrelated news my wife doesn't know which way to measure from when using a ruler.

Looks/sounds good, strong intercept marker with elite long kick whose also defensively minded and loves a tackle? Where’s the catch?

I actually think an intercept marker is a need for us, it’s such an important position and we really lack in that area since Woods decline and Croz dropping off the face of the earth. Williams & Doc are similar in that they’re great for their size/role and better than most who play their roles, but I wouldn’t say they’re necessarily consistent intercept marking types. Just good readers of the play with strong hands. I like the look of Buku but he’s an unknown. Other than that who do we have?

Looks/sounds good, strong intercept marker with elite long kick whose also defensively minded and loves a tackle? Where’s the catch?

I actually think an intercept marker is a need for us, it’s such an important position and we really lack in that area since Woods decline and Croz dropping off the face of the earth. Williams & Doc are similar in that they’re great for their size/role and better than most who play their roles, but I wouldn’t say they’re necessarily consistent intercept marking types. Just good readers of the play with strong hands. I like the look of Buku but he’s an unknown. Other than that who do we have?
For mine Schache is the man. With Naughton, English, Jamarra forward, Bruce to come back and Darcy in the mix, think Shaq will struggle to hold a tall forward position in the medium/ long term

Has all the tools;
- Big tank to cover a lot of ground
- Great height to come across and be a +1 spoiler in marking contests
- Excellent field kicker

With a bit of training can see him really excelling in the role.

Anyone seen him play? I wonder if he’s actually an elite kick or he just pulls the trigger on safe targets?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I personally haven't seen any vision but digging a little deeper into the numbers 8% of his kicks went backwards which presumably were safer kicks.

Here is where he is getting his possessions.

FWD: 1%
MID: 61%
DEF: 38%

And here is his kicking efficiency in those zones...

FWD: No kicks
MID: 86%
DEF: 81%

On average he's launching 2 scores per game which is not bad as well.

I personally haven't seen any vision but digging a little deeper into the numbers 8% of his kicks went backwards which presumably were safer kicks.

Here is where he is getting his possessions.

FWD: 1%
MID: 61%
DEF: 38%

And here is his kicking efficiency in those zones...

FWD: No kicks
MID: 86%
DEF: 81%

On average he's launching 2 scores per game which is not bad as well.

Apperciate your work Oliver.

Very impressive that his efficiency is so high in the midfield especially.

Anyone seen him play? I wonder if he’s actually an elite kick or he just pulls the trigger on safe targets?

Sounds like he plays it safe.

POSITION: Defender

A consistent performer over the season in the defensive 50 across all levels of competition, Cleary showed onlookers exactly why he earned a draft combine invite in 2020, despite such little exposure. The top-ager impressed this year with his positioning behind the ball which allowed his intercepting game to thrive, following up with well measured and safe kicks. Cleary may not be the flashiest or most damaging defender from the draft pool, but he has shown that he’s a reliable and composed figure under pressure in defensive 50.

STRENGTHS:

+ Kicking efficiency
+ Positioning
+ Intercepting
+ Rebounding

IMPROVEMENTS:

- Contested game
- Hurt factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back