Welcome to the Bulldogs Riley Garcia

Remove this Banner Ad

Really skilled player and hard at it. Queries pre draft were his size and then obviously his knee when he went down.

I really rate him though and think you’ve got a good player if you put the time into him. Will be watching his career closely!

Really skilled player and hard at it. Queries pre draft were his size and then obviously his knee when he went down.

I really rate him though and think you’ve got a good player if you put the time into him. Will be watching his career closely!
What's he like on the outside?

I am pretty sure Mitch O'Neill has not had a car crash knee injury or Fraser Phillips that I know of, but welcome
Riley Garcia was going well before the horrific knee injury.

What's he like on the outside?
He’s pretty versatile mate. Have seen him play back pocket and kick goals. Inside outside proficient. He moves around the ground well and makes good decisions. I think he’d have been around 30 if fit.

Classic late draft pick where you can take a risk on a player who might have a high ceiling or might just as easily bomb out for some reason (e.g. another ACL rupture). No need to go with "safe" selections at pick 62. And the fact that we traded up a few spots for him meant we weren't just "meh" about whether we took Garcia or some other late prospect. We were obviously very keen.

It also looks like he has the non-negotiables that we are seeing with nearly every WB player acquisition these days - good character and attitude. That seems to be working out pretty well so far. (Could it also explain why we passed on some other players that some of us fancied in the draft?)

I like this type. I don't think we have enough of them - small (172-178cm), agile, quick and busy. Richmond have got seven in that range. Before this draft (where we took two players in that range - Weightman and Garcia) the only one we had was a speculative Ben Cavarra and he didn't get a decent run at it this year because of injury. So it's worth the chance. They won't all make it and probably won't ever be rated "elite" but if you can produce a good player like that they can be a point of difference, as Richmond have shown.

Classic late draft pick where you can take a risk on a player who might have a high ceiling or might just as easily bomb out for some reason (e.g. another ACL rupture). No need to go with "safe" selections at pick 62. And the fact that we traded up a few spots for him meant we weren't just "meh" about whether we took Garcia or some other late prospect. We were obviously very keen.

It also looks like he has the non-negotiables that we are seeing with nearly every WB player acquisition these days - good character and attitude. That seems to be working out pretty well so far. (Could it also explain why we passed on some other players that some of us fancied in the draft?)

I like this type. I don't think we have enough of them - small (172-178cm), agile, quick and busy. Richmond have got seven in that range. Before this draft (where we took two players in that range - Weightman and Garcia) the only one we had was Ben Cavarra and he didn't get a decent run at it this year because of injury. So it's worth the chance. They won't all make it and probably won't ever be rated "elite" but if you can produce a good player like that they can be a point of difference, as Richmond have shown.
Need to include Daniel in there but I agree

Need to include Daniel in there but I agree
I thought about that but Daniel's exceptional in some ways. He's the shortest player in the league I think, so he's out of the bottom of the acceptable height range for an AFL player. That's what made people raise their eyebrows when we drafted him. And a lot of people still aren't convinced.

Also he's not really a typical in-and-under small player. Usually what gets those players a game with the bigger boys is their busy-ness and willingness to get their hands dirty in close. Daniel is no shirker but that's not his natural game style. He's more a distributor and organiser.

So I'd put him in a different category. Maybe it's a category he has all to himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought about that but Daniel's exceptional in some ways. He's the shortest player in the league I think, so he's out of the bottom of the acceptable height range for an AFL player. That's what made people raise their eyebrows when we drafted him. And a lot of people still aren't convinced.
Also he's not really a typical in-and-under small player. Usually what gets those players a game with the bigger boys is their busy-ness and willingness to get their hands dirty in close. Daniel is no shirker but that's not his natural game style. He's more a distributor and organiser.
So I'd put him in a different category. Maybe it's a category he has all to himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back