Welcome to the Bulldogs Riley Garcia

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, sorry for the intrusion and digging up an older thread on your board.

Was just wondering how Riley is faring? Is he over his knee problems yet or still chugging along? Cheers!

He's been playing in match simulations, up forward and through the midfield, and has kicked a couple of goals. I'm not sure if he's playing full games yet, I'm expecting that he'll be ready to debut early next season.

Hey guys, sorry for the intrusion and digging up an older thread on your board.

Was just wondering how Riley is faring? Is he over his knee problems yet or still chugging along? Cheers!
The early indications are promising ... but I have to emphasise that it's still very early and he's probably still building his match fitness. Also I'm only going by club reports which are pretty sketchy. Scratch matches only so far, but I think he got named as an emergency for the seniors a week or so back. He was never going to play but it's a vote of confidence.

Do you have any connection to him? What was he like as a junior? What should we expect of him?

The early indications are promising ... but I have to emphasise that it's still very early and he's probably still building his match fitness. Also I'm only going by club reports which are pretty sketchy. Scratch matches only so far, but I think he got named as an emergency for the seniors a week or so back. He was never going to play but it's a vote of confidence.

Do you have any connection to him? What was he like as a junior? What should we expect of him?
I reckon it was only his knee that stopped him going higher. I had heard predraft that you were one of the clubs keen on him so it wasn’t a big surprise when you called his name.

I think he’s a very good talent. He’s quick and evasive (hopefully the knee doesn’t hamper this), good mover through traffic. He loves a goal (he kicked a couple from the back pocket in a game I watched).

The other question about him was his size for AFL level, so it’ll be interesting to see if he gets pigeon holed as a flanker a bit. He’s got the inside game if he needs it, a bit like D Kerr. Size isn’t everything, as my misso would say.

I think he’s definitely got the ability to play at the top level. I’d quite like him to come and play for WC at some stage haha.

I haven't seen any vision on him. What's the general wraps on him?
This is from The West Australian during last year's U18 championships:

Riley Garcia has gone from a broken arm to a breakout performance for WA in the space of 12 months.

The speedy midfielder was one of the Black Swans’ best as they kicked off their national under-18s carnival with a 17-point win over Vic Metro at Mineral Resources Park on Saturday.

Garcia gathered 21 possessions, seven clearances, four tackles and four inside-50s in the 12.14 (86) to 10.9 (69) triumph, his first appearance for WA since breaking his arm against the same opponent last year.
And here's the only footage I've seen of him in the RW&B:

Plus his draft clip:

Looks like he's busy and has thoughtful disposal (but who knows from an U18 highlights clip?)
It's reported that "he love a goal" too. That never goes astray. I wish Macrae had a bit of that.

This is from The West Australian during last year's U18 championships:

And here's the only footage I've seen of him in the RW&B:

Plus his draft clip:

Looks like he's busy and has thoughtful disposal (but who knows from an U18 highlights clip?)
It's reported that "he love a goal" too. That never goes astray. I wish Macrae had a bit of that.

Fair enough. Just wondering where all the praise is coming from. There's not much footage on him other than a minute clip online, but it's good to hear that out of everyone at the club, Trengove chose him as the one most likely to become a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know anything about the kid at all but I loveee his highlights package. I know it’s a highlight package but I usually take a fair bit out of them tbh - no it’s not gonna tell you how good a player will be or their weaknesses but it sort of shows what strengths you can hope to see and what type of player they may become.

What stands out for me in his package is his intensity and confidence to attack and his want to play direct - not many players show those traits inconsistently, they’ve either got them or they don’t. So I suspect that’s what we can expect from him week in week out on the field. Massive Vandermeer vibes.

I’m loving our trend in leaning towards these types lately, Bailey Smith another one with those traits. Xavier O’Halloran seems to as well so not surprised were having a sniff (Caldwell does too, wouldn’t be surprised if were seriously looking at him too) it doesn’t matter what position you play if you’re confident in your ability and you have a natural competitive edge/aggression in your attack on the man/ball it’s gonna hold you in good stead. Plus we’ve got enough accumulators so surrounding them with some types that want to play direct and move the ball forward at all costs is a good move.

If you need to take a late pick, make it someone who's spent most of their underage time injured. Who knows how good he could be?
Missed because of bad luck injuries aswell in a broken arm and an acl. Things that compared to soft tissue injuries aren't likely to hamper him in the future.

Is he modelling himself on Libba? Could be his brother.

Riley Garcia. The Irish South American. Riley Garthia? The legend is that some medieval Spanish noble had a lisp, and to avoid his embarrassment everyone started pronouncing the soft C with a TH sound.

Ricey Garlia.

Is he modelling himself on Libba? Could be his brother.

Riley Garcia. The Irish South American. Riley Garthia? The legend is that some medieval Spanish noble had a lisp, and to avoid his embarrassment everyone started pronouncing the soft C with a TH sound.

Ricey Garlia.
I'm not sure of his heritage, but maybe we're looking to recreate that famous Bulldogs trio of the late 90s/early 00s feat Libba snr, Romero and Dimma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back