Welcome to the Bulldogs Riley Garcia

Remove this Banner Ad

His kicking has surprised me at AFL level, I was seriously worried about it whilst watching him at VFL level but as ugly as it looks I think he’s been decent if not probably even good, off both feet. Everything else in his game I just love, very quickly becoming one of my favs
I've been surprised too! Very strange as his kicking at VFL level even in space was some of the worst I've seen. You wonder if it's more of a fatigue thing than a technique thing - less time on the ball at AFL level might be helping him.

Either way, great signs. He's already probably our best pressure player and that's saying something. Some of those pressure acts on the weekend were absolutely elite.

I've been surprised too! Very strange as his kicking at VFL level even in space was some of the worst I've seen. You wonder if it's more of a fatigue thing than a technique thing - less time on the ball at AFL level might be helping him.

Either way, great signs. He's already probably our best pressure player and that's saying something. Some of those pressure acts on the weekend were absolutely elite.
He really is cementing his spot in the team for a Clay Smith type role in the finals. He has very very similar strengths and weaknesses. Clay would've been great to have as a permanent fixture in the team if his knees held up.

Yep I thought the faster pace/less space & time of AFL level was really gonna shine a light on his technique not being up to scratch. Can’t quite put my finger on what it is, as you say it may be fitness, i think one thing that helps at least is he just makes really good, quick decisions so half the jobs done before he actually gets it there. Keen to see how it plays out as teams start to pay him more attention

In Hinduism, of course, reincarnation is a major tenet. Reincarnation according to Hinduism is when the soul, which is seen as eternal and part of a spiritual realm, returns to the physical realm in a new body. A soul will complete this cycle many times, learning new things each time and working through its karma. This cycle of reincarnation is called samsara.

I believe we are witnessing a footy samsara of sorts - Clay Smith's career has returned to the physical realm in a new body. That of Riley Garcia. And it has picked up some leg speed along the way.

It is these kind of karmas which we've lacked post-2016 that we are now recapturing.

In Hinduism, of course, reincarnation is a major tenet. Reincarnation according to Hinduism is when the soul, which is seen as eternal and part of a spiritual realm, returns to the physical realm in a new body. A soul will complete this cycle many times, learning new things each time and working through its karma. This cycle of reincarnation is called samsara.

I believe we are witnessing a footy samsara of sorts - Clay Smith's career has returned to the physical realm in a new body. That of Riley Garcia. And it has picked up some leg speed along the way.

It is these kind of karmas which we've lacked post-2016 that we are now recapturing.
Time to establish the Clay-Garcia Ashram.

Really happy with him, and like that he has some aggression, but I'd like to see him lose the dirty acts. There was one point late where he clearly deliberately sunk the elbow into a prone Melbourne player's neck and it's not the first time I've seen it. I hate that s**t.

His nickname is Sunny. I reckon that comes from Bevo? I’m a similar age to Bevo and also love my surfing. Sunny Garcia was an awesome Hawaiian power surfer through the 80’s and 90’s and won the 2000 world title and a couple of Bells along the way.

Really happy with him, and like that he has some aggression, but I'd like to see him lose the dirty acts. There was one point late where he clearly deliberately sunk the elbow into a prone Melbourne player's neck and it's not the first time I've seen it. I hate that sh*t.

Better our guys doing that stuff than the docile effort v GWS in the finals in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has a tendency to do high looping handballs over his head that go to no one but should be pretty easy to get that out of his game as he gets more experience.
Otherwise lots to like.
A couple of these last night, but I think sometimes when you play such a high octane brand, you can forgive the odd lack of composure. Frenetic attack on opposition defenders. Love it.

Really happy with him, and like that he has some aggression, but I'd like to see him lose the dirty acts. There was one point late where he clearly deliberately sunk the elbow into a prone Melbourne player's neck and it's not the first time I've seen it. I hate that sh*t.

Totally disagree. I want more aggressive tactics employed to intimidate teams. Bont is starting to play this way too now and it is a sign of maturity. Sick of being pushed around by older, bigger teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1627613871940.png

Speaking of his kicking.

"To determine the best kicks, we're looking at Champion Data's 'Kick Rating' which takes into account how often a player hits the target compared to the league average across the past 12 years. It's based on the location of a kick, the pressure received on disposal, intention of kick and location of target.

Each category has the following qualifier:

Best short kick: Minimum 30 kicks
Best long kick: Minimum 25 kicks
Best kick under pressure: Minimum 15 kicks
Best kick for goal: Minimum 8 kicks
Best overall kicking efficiency: Minimum 30 kicks"

Interesting list.

I wouldn't have picked Hannan for best long kick or Garcia for overall kicking efficiency.
Dale having best kick under pressure might raise an eyebrow or two as well.

Interesting list.

I wouldn't have picked Hannan for best long kick or Garcia for overall kicking efficiency.
Dale having best kick under pressure might raise an eyebrow or two as well.
Garcia's had 35 total kicks in his career. That's hardly a sample to be able to call him a good or bad kick.

Garcia's had 35 total kicks in his career. That's hardly a sample to be able to call him a good or bad kick.

Good early signs though, especially since that was the big question mark on his game.

He certainly doesn't look like the best kick. I think he just seems to know his limitations and he's super quick in his decision making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back