fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn
David was a good looking rooster back then , always looked immaculate !
Not quite the image of a Western suburbs boy.

David Darcy visited my brother after a tragic car accident he was involved in at Footscray hospital in 19965, he never forget it .Long live the Darcy name to the Western Bulldogs and welcome to the Bulldogs Sam

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sam towers over the other draftees.

1637805284617.png

Standing between a ruck and a KPD

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two things.
1. Know nothing about the kid but do know about the club. Where can I put a bet on that the GCS guy is the first to change clubs.?
2. GWS wanted a tall ( so bid on Darcy, fair enough). Then why did they select the least tall tall available? He is a tall I presume ( they wouldn’t lie)

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
View attachment 1286979

Standing between a ruck and a KPD

Have to go back to 2008 draft to see the first 10 players selected by 10 different clubs (obviously many of the interim drafts compromised by draft concessions for new clubs or priority picks awarded), and even though the players photographed are not the actual first 10 selections (missing the 2 Freo boys from #8 and #10 replaced with picks 12 and 13), good to see the range of clubs.

Also, I wonder how many years it will take for GWS and/or GCS to not be represented in the top-10, if ever?

Happy for us to keep finishing near the top of the ladder whilst bagging top picks as well, esp if it is matching bids on NGA or father/sons rated so highly!

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Usually the club/afl uploads individual footage of the players. They havent done so this year! Sick of watching the same highlights reels.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have to go back to 2008 draft to see the first 10 players selected by 10 different clubs (obviously many of the interim drafts compromised by draft concessions for new clubs or priority picks awarded), and even though the players photographed are not the actual first 10 selections (missing the 2 Freo boys from #8 and #10 replaced with picks 12 and 13), good to see the range of clubs.

Also, I wonder how many years it will take for GWS and/or GCS to not be represented in the top-10, if ever?

Happy for us to keep finishing near the top of the ladder whilst bagging top picks as well, esp if it is matching bids on NGA or father/sons rated so highly!

They’re the Vic boys

Could he do a Naughton?
Start his career as a KPD before becoming a forward or genuine swingman? Given we played Lewis Young pretty much everywhere I wouldn't be surprised to see Sam get a taste of the action in multiple parts of the ground.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
They’re the Vic boys

Yep, thanks, someone else just pointed that out to me too.

Also, slightly off topic, was having a convo with mates recently that ranged across footy and into politics, and slip of the tongue by one (not a WB supporter) combined the two to suggest I must be excited that Sam Dastyari will be playing for us next year! Of course the immediate response to that was "Say that again!".

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Luke made his senior debut in #40 - as a very skinny gangly ruckman!

Edit: here is the game:

R21, 1994 (moved to #14 for 1995) - we beat Saints at Waverley, Lockett 5.5 for them, Osborne 5 straight for us, one of Darcy's team-mates was 23yo Luke Beveridge!

In Luke Darcy's first game, team-mates included Bevo, Leon Cameron, Crofty, Mark Hunter, Liber Snr, Super MacPherson, Steve Wallis and Scott West.

Bevo next year will be coaching the sons of 5 of those players, against Super's son, against Cameron, and by then end of next year likely coaching Crofty's son too. And Chris Grant played in that game too - with his daughter now wearing #3 in the AFLW team.

How good is it watching great names at our club appear again on-field with generational change?

Geezus, Luke is 199cm and Sam towers over him. Doesn’t look super skinny either.
Current tallest players in the competition (pre-draft, list is from zerohanger):

PLAYER HEIGHTS
211cm (6' 11")
Sam Alabakis, Mason Cox

209cm (6' 10")
Mate Colina, Jarrod Witts

208cm (6' 10")
Max Gawn, Ned Reeves

206cm (6' 9")
Rory Lobb, Sam Naismith, Braydon Preuss, Samson Ryan, Zac Smith

205cm (6' 9")
Darcy Cameron, Tim English, Oscar McInerney (Sam Darcy goes here)

Current tallest players in the competition (pre-draft, list is from zerohanger):

PLAYER HEIGHTS
211cm (6' 11")
Sam Alabakis, Mason Cox

209cm (6' 10")
Mate Colina, Jarrod Witts

208cm (6' 10")
Max Gawn, Ned Reeves

206cm (6' 9")
Rory Lobb, Sam Naismith, Braydon Preuss, Samson Ryan, Zac Smith

205cm (6' 9")
Darcy Cameron, Tim English, Oscar McInerney (Sam Darcy goes here)
And still growing!

Sam to follow in his Dad's and Grandfather's footsteps and win a premiership in his first season?

Luke played in a reverses premiership in his first season (1994 v Norf)
David played in a reserves premiership in his first season (1962 v Saints)

Back