Toast Welcome to the Club Aaron Naughty Naughton

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read this after waking up and it reminded me I had a dream about Naughty. He was having a shot from outside 50 but it fell short by about 10m. As it was descending Naughton flies in and takes a big pack mark, marking his own kick. He goes back and kicks the goal while Garry Lyon is jizzing his pants in the commentary box.

There is a small mention of him having shown promise as a forward in one of the draft write ups, but it seems the majority of people didn't see the position change coming at all.

Not sure he saw the positional change either

Thank God he didn't turn like Cale Hooker.

Not sure where it was but someone was talking about Naughton's pressure once the ball hits the ground and the extra stuff he does that generates goals. And how they'd much rather have Naughton than Max King & co.

So, for the handful of top goalkickers, I thought I'd add GAs and Tackles to see what it looked like.

Player
Games​
Goals​
Goal Assists​
Tackles​
Charlie Curnow
14​
44​
5​
24​
Jeremy Cameron
14​
42​
12​
18​
Aaron Naughton
14​
38​
10​
33​
Tom Hawkins
14​
36​
15​
22​
Max King
14​
35​
4​
9​
Tom Lynch
12​
37​
5​
19​
Peter Wright
14​
33​
9​
10​

Naughton is third on goal assists and easily leads this group on tackles. Max King runs last on both GAs and Ts.

Naughton would have to be in the discussion for AA on those sorts of stats.

Last edited:
What an incredible first 100 games. I feel so fortunate that he plays for our club. The phrase "generational talent" has become quite cliche, but this kid is that. I think he will be remembered with the same reverence as The Bont. We are blessed to be able to watch him play in our colours. Such an exciting player to watch. He plays the game with as much spirit as anyone, his second/third/fourth efforts never lack intensity. He launches at the ball with no regard for his own safety, often causing us to feel an equal amount of awe and fear. He also comes across as a great kid off the field, with a great sense of humour and not taking himself too seriously. Love you Aaron.

Last edited:
What an incredible first 100 games. I feel so fortunate that he plays for our club. The phrase "generational talent" has become quite cliche, but this kid is that. I think he will be remembered with the same reverence as The Bont. We are blessed to be able to watch him play in our colours. Such an exciting player to watch. He plays the game with as much spirit as anyone, his second/third/fourth efforts never lack intensity. He launches at the ball with no regard for his own safety, often causing us to feel an equal amount of awe and fear for his safety. He also comes across as a great kid off the field, with a great sense of humour and not taking himself too seriously. Love you Aaron.
Dare I say it, he has leadership qualities too.

May he spawn lots of Naughtlings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just signed an eight year contract. No, that's not a typo. EIGHT YEARS, until 2032!

For a few LOLs have a read of the first page of this thread. A few prescient comments there and a few we'd probably regret, but there's a great pic of what a young Naughton looks like with short hair and no headband.

He's not the intercepting defender we all thought we were getting but he's a gun nonetheless and a future WB hall of famer.

The Aaron Naughton 8-year contract sends a fantastic message to his teammates and the industry - and indeed to all of us doomsayers who have been thinking we are on a snake rather than a ladder. (We may yet be on a snake, but that's a separate discussion.)

It says to anyone coming up for contract renewal (JUH?) or wondering whether to jump ship (Baz? Timmy? Rhylee?) that he's in it for the long haul - a Bulldog for life - and he believes in where we are headed. That he wants them to stay on board with him.

And - to further mix my metaphors - if you wanted someone with you in the trenches I reckon you'd be looking to find blokes like Naughton beside you.

What a powerful statement this is. This contract signing alone should mark him as a leader within the club.

He's still only 23.

Happy to have locked in Naughton. 8 years maybe too long but Tasmania is coming in and many teams will be coming at him as a potential superstar. I love his enthusiasm and leadership. His leadership was on show in our win against Brisbane in Round 3, we needed to win, he had two shocking shots on goal right in front of us (my wife is not convinced on Naughts) but didn’t drop his head and kept fighting all night. He is selfless too. He was more important than English and Smith for his signature.
We must get him Lindsay Gillbee or Tory Dickson to help with goal kicking and probably a good psychologist because it is such a mental discipline. No Bevo, goal kick doesn’t take care of itself. Future captain and hall of famer.

Normally I would be critical of such a long deal BUT NOT THIS ONE!!!!!
Great show of faith and I hope he drags a few players along with him.
An added bonus is that instead of attending regular meetings with his manager to discuss his future options he can spend that time on goal kicking practice. Talk about win win.

I can't help but think that this extension and its timing was brought about by a club that is somewhat panicked and needed to deliver a sugar hit on its big awards night. A night that by all reports, aside from this announcement was flatter than week old road kill on the Nullarbor.

It's very odd that not two days before the announcement Andrew McDougall put a distinct full stop Naughton being at the club beyond 2024. When in reality if this deal was that close to being signed off on then he would've intimated that Naughton was keen to play out his career at the club.

Its pretty obvious to me that we blinked first.

The Aaron Naughton 8-year contract sends a fantastic message to his teammates and the industry - and indeed to all of us doomsayers who have been thinking we are on a snake rather than a ladder. (We may yet be on a snake, but that's a separate discussion.)

It says to anyone coming up for contract renewal (JUH?) or wondering whether to jump ship (Baz? Timmy? Rhylee?) that he's in it for the long haul - a Bulldog for life - and he believes in where we are headed. That he wants them to stay on board with him.

And - to further mix my metaphors - if you wanted someone with you in the trenches I reckon you'd be looking to find blokes like Naughton beside you.

What a powerful statement this is. This contract signing alone should mark him as a leader within the club.

He's still only 23.

If you look at it the other way. It also says that I got mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back