Toast Welcome to the Club Aaron Naughty Naughton

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to keep our feet on the ground ...

As far as Norf is concerned,
Naughton was an unknown quantity as a forward target so he might have got under their guard. However if he plays that well as a forward for 1-2 more games other sides will start making plans for him and will put plenty of time into him, blocking etc.

You can't keep a good player down for a whole match but you can certainly reduce his effectiveness with good team tactics, niggling, etc.

At this stage I still think he's a better defensive prospect but I'm happy for us to continue the forward experiment a bit longer and see what it yields.

Just to keep our feet on the ground ...

As far as Norf is concerned,
Naughton was an unknown quantity as a forward target so he might have got under their guard. However if he plays that well as a forward for 1-2 more games other sides will start making plans for him and will put plenty of time into him, blocking etc.

You can't keep a good player down for a whole match but you can certainly reduce his effectiveness with good team tactics, niggling, etc.

At this stage I still think he's a better defensive prospect but I'm happy for us to continue the forward experiment a bit longer and see what it yields.
Given you're swanning around overseas in the warmer climes:p you may not have seen the pack mark he took I50. Browny and Lyon in their review OTC last night (yes I relented again), as former KPFs, loved it/raved about it.

I take your point though. Hopefully he proves as difficult to foil as Big Ben Brown when the attention does come.

Given you're swanning around overseas in the warmer climes:p you may not have seen the pack mark he took I50. Browny and Lyon in their review OTC last night (yes I relented again), as former KPFs, loved it/raved about it.

I take your point though. Hopefully he proves as difficult to foil as Big Ben Brown when the attention does come.
Yeah actually it's the only footage I've seen from the game. Loved it but I still think he'll have less chance to do that if sides start worrying about him and put in blocks etc.

Yeah actually it's the only footage I've seen from the game. Loved it but I still think he'll have less chance to do that if sides start worrying about him and put in blocks etc.
The whole structure and personnel was unexpected (Cordy and Naughton fwd) so that is a factor. If they were to persist with it, Cordy (and Schache) being there helps to attract some attention away from him (took the pack mark over Schache and North players) and they (Cordy and Schache) themselves can impact the scoreboard.

Even on one showing, what they might be able to do with some half decent service I50 is actually quite exciting. Who woulda thunk it?

The whole structure and personnel was unexpected (Cordy and Naughton fwd) so that is a factor. If they were to persist with it, Cordy (and Schache) being there helps to attract some attention away from him (took the pack mark over Schache and North players) and they (Cordy and Schache) themselves can impact the scoreboard.

Even on one showing, what they might be able to do with some half decent service I50 is actually quite exciting. Who woulda thunk it?

Isn’t that the whole point of Bev creating a versatile side that can be swung around at any time to create mismatch situations??

I think that a big pack mark like that is the hardest to stop as a defender. All 195cms of him marking it at its highest point isn’t something that can be coached against. If an opposition wants to put on a block than that’s a free kick every day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the match live, Naughton looked exciting as FF. Great hands, honest endeavour and very mobile for his size. His kicking at goal looked fine.

Also, can't help but put in a plug for Cordy as CHF, FP or HFF. He's got something as a forward and combines that with good defensive skills and that bit of mongrel. He has the knack of triggering the defenders while acting innocent like he is the victim.

I watched the match live, Naughton looked exciting as FF. Great hands, honest endeavour and very mobile for his size. His kicking at goal looked fine.

Also, can't help but put in a plug for Cordy as CHF, FP or HFF. He's got something as a forward and combines that with good defensive skills and that bit of mongrel. He has the knack of triggering the defenders while acting innocent like he is the victim.
Cordy covered more ground than any other Bulldog player on the night.

After the nightmare of the Eade era where we so often had nothing to kick to (esp. running out of defence) except for an outmatched Johnson and/or Hahn I'll admit I'm a big fan of forwards who work hard and present present present to provide an option, hence I liked Gowers quite early on too.
I note Schache covers a lot of ground as well which means the blueprint is there for his development.

This is why I can see the value in drafting Ben King.

It potentially seems that the solution to fixing our forwardline woes lies in turning Naughton and Cordy into forwards (well reintroducing Cordy). Also Adams is not garrenteed with his body issues. And Trengrove is not proving himself down there.

It potentially seems that the solution to fixing our forwardline woes lies in turning Naughton and Cordy into forwards (well reintroducing Cordy). Also Adams is not garrenteed with his body issues. And Trengrove is not proving himself down there.

That's not a bad point actually.

I'm not so sure - Bevo has mentioned that our ideal ruck situation involves a Boyd/English combo (one will rest forward) and Schache seems to be establishing himself so that two talls there at all times, plus Gowers who is strong overhead.

Bont will rest there and it's quite possible we end up with a 190cm+ forward/mid type in the draft as well (Hately, RCD). I think we have bigger needs than talls right now, which is a sentence I've never had to type before as a Bulldogs supporter.

While he’s likely to be groomed as a key back, Naughton’s ability to grab the contested mark could see him play as a forward at times, where his speed and football IQ would serve him well.

Any chance this is realistic? Did well at the goal kicking in the combine and can take a grab.

Yep. Reckon he could be a decent forward if given a crack at it.

Took the most contested marks in a single game of any player in the AFL since 2011. As a nineteen-year-old. Stop and think about that for a second.

BTW does anyone know if we have fixed his chronic spine deformity? He looks a bit less wonky now.

a120cf1e9b34b6f7027f033e1f8b6489.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back