Toast - Welcome to the Giants - Jackson Hately Pick #14 | BigFooty

Toast Welcome to the Giants - Jackson Hately Pick #14

Discussion in 'GWS Giants' started by Giant Strides, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Giant Strides

Giant Strides Moderator

GWS
    After holding Collingwood to account for Isaac Quaynor, GWS drafts a solid midfielder from South Australia - Jackson Hately. Welcome Jackson.

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "A ready-to-go midfield accumulator in the mould of the modern day prototype"

OVERVIEW

South Australia’s Jackson Hately is one of the most ready made players in the bumper 2018 draft crop. The tall midfielder was an integral component for the Croweaters throughout their victorious national championship campaign. Hately entered the year as a likely first-round prospect after collecting 27 disposals, six marks, two tackles and four inside 50s in his state’s win over the Allies last year as a 16 year-old. Since then, his performances for both South Australia and at senior South Australian National Football League (SANFL) level with Central District, has seen him maintain and perhaps even increase his reputation amongst draft watchers. Hately has consistently proven across each level that he is a prolific ball winner who is clean at ground level and precise with his distribution by hand. However, by foot Hately can be inconsistent when under pressure, which is an improvement he can make to his game. Regardless, Hately is deservedly ranked in the top echelon of this years midfielder pool.

STRENGTHS
    • Accumulation
    • Cleanness
    • Handball distribution
    • Scoreboard impact
    • Endurance
    • Strength
    Those who have watched him often will recognise Jackson Hately’s is arguably the drafts best pure inside midfielder, with his ability to find the football for South Australia earning him selection in the All-Australian side. In a star-studded on-ball brigade, the Trinity College student averaged 22.5 disposals, four marks and 6.8 tackles at the mid-year National Championships. The midfielder also managed 12 senior SANFL games this season, easily holding his spot in the Central Districts lineup. In those games, Hately kicked 11 goals (including a three-goal outing against West Adelaide in April) – highlighting his impressive scoreboard impact – and was named in the best on three occasions. This senior football exposure will no-doubt appeal to clubs. A member of the AFL Academy, Hately collected 17 disposals, eight tackles and, importantly, kicked two goals against the North Melbourne VFL side earlier in the year.

Jackson Hately’s size is a genuine physical asset for the South Australian. At 192cm, the Central District product is able to play as that tall, contested ball winning beast on the inside of a midfield unit. However he also possesses the capacity to be deployed as a third-tall forward where his overhead marking strength can be a weapon. At 80kg, Hately still has some weight to add to his frame, which will be easily done at AFL level. Aerobically, Hately’s sound endurance base allows him to spread well, cover the ground with relative ease and accumulate the ball across four quarters – a rare trait for a draftee. Along with his size, consistency and production, Hately’s cleanness, stoppage nous and distribution by hand makes him a real in-and-under threat to opposition midfields. His ability to dish out smart, effective handballs is not unlike that of Fremantle star and fellow South Australian Lachie Neale. He has been ultra-consistent this season in the SANFL and one of the big reasons Central District won multiple matches.

IMPROVEMENTS
    • Consistency by foot
    • Impact per possession
    Unlike many 18-year-old draft prospects, Jackson Hately does not need to further his endurance base, however there are a couple of areas where improvement may be required. Whilst he is a terrific accumulator of the football, both in the contest and around the ground, Hately at times could have more impact with his possessions. This can partially be attributed to his kicking, which can be hot and cold. His foot skills are fine for the role he plays, however it will unlikely ever be a strength. His long kicking can be impressive at times, but when under pressure kicking out of a contest he can sometimes rush it onto the boot. It is another reason why he has become so effective using his hands in traffic.

SUMMARY

Hately will appeal to clubs looking for a ready-made midfield workhorse who can step straight into an AFL side next season, due to his aerobic capacity and tall frame. Whilst he looks set to spend most of his career as an inside midfielder, Hately’s versatility could see him utilised across half-forward or in a more outside-leaning role early on. Having already played against men in the SANFL, Hately appears to be a relatively safe selection- one who is highly likely to notch up 200 plus games as an integral part of an on-ball unit.

- AFL Draft Central

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. sydney_gws

sydney_gws Team Captain

GWS
    I think he is a good player, will play some afl games next year.

Giant Strides likes this.
  3. fridgeman

fridgeman Club Legend

GWS
    The club was always going to draft a taller mid after Setterfield leaving and hopefully he has a good pre season and looking forward to him dominating the NEAFL in 2019 and hopefully he can step in for some AFL games but I feel he will need time to become a regular IMO

4. Giant Strides

Giant Strides Moderator

GWS
    I'd peg him as a Ryan Griffen mould replacement, an inside mid who can go forward and kick goals. I think he's a chance to get early games next year - depending on what he actually shows in pre-season, injuries etc. He & Bonar switching between inside mid & resting forward could be a good combination given our loss of a third tall.

Determinant likes this.
  5. RedmanWasHere

RedmanWasHere Rarely in kitchens at parties.

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Exers, Gryffindor, Brisbane AFLW
    Do you guys love Hately?

sydney_gws and kulak like this.
  6. Giant Strides

Giant Strides Moderator

GWS
    Sure. Perhaps would not have been my choice there, but he's a quality kid. Happily welcome him as a Giant.

7. captainMyCaptain

captainMyCaptain Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
  8. fridgeman

fridgeman Club Legend

GWS
    The need was there for a tall mid and without having all the info the recruiters do we are just guessing with the available info but between him and RCD who will have a better career we will find out over the next 5-10 years
    I just hope the draftees have sturdier bodies and have successful careers

9. SC fish

SC fish Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    My SuperCoach team
  10. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    Yes so much so I think we should refer to him as Lovely

11. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    Finally a South Aussie! :rainbow:

Isaac Cumming No 1 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    Seems like a high quality character, a bit of a pattern in Giants drafts of late.

I’ve got mixed feelings about Hateley as a player. Not overly quick, not overly skilful, but OK. I’m glad Adelaide didn’t draft him as we have too many slowish players already.

I think he could be a good fit for the Giants.

Think it will depend on his rate of improvement. He will always have his size. He can make his power an elite trait. If he can build his other skills each year, each week, each training session, then he can turn into a nice complimentary midfielder like a Joel Corey.

13. General Giant

General Giant Brownlow Medallist

GWS
  14. Teeso

Teeso Team Captain

GWS
    Personally I feel Hateley is a bit vanilla but still like his size, endurance running and leadership. Reminds me a bit of a Tommo. Would have preferred RCD who I feel like has more weapons. RCD has a higher ceiling than Hateley but also more risk associated. Thought a Bonar-RCD combo would have beem very formiddable at NEAFL level. Both have ridiculous acceleration for big boys but nevertheless I am sure Caruso and Quayle have done their due diligence and happy with the outcome.

15. chiwigi

chiwigi I’ll make tears from your Wines.

Port Adelaide
    Jackson will be your club captain one day!

A great pick up!

16. Determinant

Determinant Moderator

GWS
    Other Teams:
    St Kilda, Dragons, Bucks
    yup, would have yaken with our first, delighted still there with our second

17. Isaac Cumming No 1

Isaac Cumming No 1 Premium Platinum

GWS
    :eek:And he's come from the Bulldogs. Tribalism not what it was in the SANFL?

I hope you're right though. I have a lot of confidence in Adrian Caruso, and Emma Quayle. It's her job to sort out the character of guys we're looking at.

18. chiwigi

chiwigi I’ll make tears from your Wines.

Port Adelaide
    The team our reserves play?

Insignificant little club they are.

dlanod and Isaac Cumming No 1 like this.
  19. Plugger46

Plugger46 All Australian

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    North Adelaide
    What about Barnsey

20. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    :'(I was having a laugh from the safety of our board. Not wanting to piss anyone off. Probably the wrong thing to do.
    I grew up supporting the Bays, a long time ago now.

sydney_gws and Plugger46 like this.
  21. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    What about my nan!

22. Ichabod Noodle

Ichabod Noodle Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Raiders, Brumbies, Wanderers
    Meet the parents orientation weekend could be a bit awkward for our co-captain.

“Yes Mr Hately, No Mr Hately, I’m sorry about my homework Mr Hately....”

:)

23. Isaac Cumming No 1

GWS
    I've deleted by post, it was a bit rude insulting a whole district on reflection.

My impression of Elizabeth is still formed from many years ago visiting schoolfreinds on a weekend away. They were all working in factory lines where you had to put your hand up to go for a piss, and it horrified me.

Bit like saying the Career path from Shelby high is Long Bay (as an ex student has told me) Grossly unfair.

kulak and Giant Strides like this.
  24. Jetwa5h

Jetwa5h Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Glenelg
    Jackson will be more your Kennedy type midfielder (Swans) your burst and quick mids will love his quick hands from inside stoppages. Dont let his lack of speed fool you, he was a the starting point guard for SA metro at U16 level, easily at would have been at U18 level also had he not concentrated on his footy and stopped district level basketball. His sideways agility makes up for that especially in a stoppage. His father taught in NSW and met his mum their although he has spent 95% of his life in SA. He loves to tackle and it hurts when he does (even just mucking around) very strong and very fit.