Toast Welcome to the Gold Coast Rodney Eade

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Rodney Eade at Carrara in 1991 vs Coach Rodney Eade at Carrara in 2015:

roInLwh.jpg

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more similarities I see with Rocket at the Suns and Leigh Matthews back in 1998 when he took over the Lions. The Lions finished dead last in 1998 and the majority of their future triple premiership players were playing for Brisbane in 1998. Voss, Lynch, Akermanis, Bradshaw, Leppitsch, Ashcroft, Hart, Lappin, Johnson, the Scotts, Black and Power are examples.

Go to 4:40 in this video and listen to Jonathan Brown talking about Leigh Matthews "cleaning up" the bottom-placed Lions who had a "pretty good list" at the end of 1998. As we know, the Suns finished 16th in 2015 which was a result of injuries (also happened at Brisbane in 1998) and poor culture. Rocket then undertook his own cleaning out process when he traded away talented players that were likely detrimental to the culture and hired a better fitness team to decrease the chances of injuries.

History shows the Lions went on to finish 3rd in 1999 and they ended up falling to the eventual premiers in the preliminary final. Two years later the Lions were the ones having the last laugh in September after also making the finals in 2000.

Now I'm not suggesting the Suns will finish 3rd this year because the landscape of the competition has changed a fair bit since 1999 but I am saying this general upward trend has been displayed before after a 'cleaning out' process occurs with a talented list. You could even argue there are positional similarities:

• Michael Voss - Gary Ablett Jr: Inspirational captain who puts his team on his back when required.
  • Alastair Lynch - Tom Lynch: Sole key forward waiting for another forward to step up (Brown/Wright).
  • Jason Akermanis - Jack Martin: Freak mid/small forward.
  • Mal Michael - Steven May: Brute key defender that can physically compete with the best of them and loves to spoil the ball.

The more I think about it, the more similarities I see with Rocket at the Suns and Leigh Matthews back in 1998 when he took over the Lions. The Lions finished dead last in 1998 and the majority of their future triple premiership players were playing for Brisbane in 1998. Voss, Lynch, Akermanis, Bradshaw, Leppitsch, Ashcroft, Hart, Lappin, Johnson, the Scotts, Black and Power are examples.

Go to 4:40 in this video and listen to Jonathan Brown talking about Leigh Matthews "cleaning up" the bottom-placed Lions who had a "pretty good list" at the end of 1998. As we know, the Suns finished 16th in 2015 which was a result of injuries (also happened at Brisbane in 1998) and poor culture. Rocket then undertook his own cleaning out process when he traded away talented players that were likely detrimental to the culture and hired a better fitness team to decrease the chances of injuries.

History shows the Lions went on to finish 3rd in 1999 and they ended up falling to the eventual premiers in the preliminary final. Two years later the Lions were the ones having the last laugh in September after also making the finals in 2000.

Now I'm not suggesting the Suns will finish 3rd this year because the landscape of the competition has changed a fair bit since 1999 but I am saying this general upward trend has been displayed before after a 'cleaning out' process occurs with a talented list. You could even argue there are positional similarities:

• Michael Voss - Gary Ablett Jr: Inspirational captain who puts his team on his back when required.
  • Alastair Lynch - Tom Lynch: Sole key forward waiting for another forward to step up (Brown/Wright).
  • Mal Michael - Steven May: Brute key defender that can physically compete with the best of them and loves to spoil the ball.
I remember reading your post about the Brisbane/Matthews comparison at the end of 2014 when Rocket was appointed coach and thought then that it was a fantastic comparison. Hopefully it eventuates.

I remember reading your post about the Brisbane/Matthews comparison at the end of 2014 when Rocket was appointed coach and thought then that it was a fantastic comparison. Hopefully it eventuates.
It's looking like he's on track so far. Having said that, it's hard to believe he has fixed every problem in a matter of 18 months or so. Players traded/delisted/stuck in the 2s this year could be the last of the previous cultural problems.

We know Jack Martin was with Charlie that night they decided to drink in the Tasmanian hotel and I believe he was living with Bennell last year. Both are now gone and Jack has been considerably better this season (so far).

I wish you didn't support Port Matchy because I love the stuff you post for us !!!:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And * me still waiting for my helicopter ride to see the stage 2 Metricon development.

I did enjoy reading this

But what ever happened to our comparisons of the old St Kilda team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back