Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

There really should be no question about his professionalism. He has had some frustrating set backs that has resulted in his fitness lacking and probably just a month or two where the frustration was getting to him but that you can say was a lot to do with the way he was handled by the Suns. He has shown incredible persistence to do his rehab and get back on the track. Second half of last season he hit the required level, fitness good and body 100%...Hawks get him primed and ready to go.

It's funny where these claims start. You have to have a thick skin as a player, and as a parent of a player ;-)

Dayne Zorko entered the AFL a little later than some and someone claimed that he had been lazy but that he "now understood what was required". Dayne pointed out that (1) he had never been lazy, and that (2) he didn't say that and knows of nobody who did or would say that. I'm pretty sure that many still have the inclining that Dayne was lazy early in his career....

It's funny where these claims start. You have to have a thick skin as a player, and as a parent of a player ;-)

Dayne Zorko entered the AFL a little later than some and someone claimed that he had been lazy but that he "now understood what was required". Dayne pointed out that (1) he had never been lazy, and that (2) he didn't say that and knows of nobody who did or would say that. I'm pretty sure that many still have the inclining that Dayne was lazy early in his career....
Standard media repeating falsehoods due to being unoriginal and not doing any research. Some comments get said about a player and just stick. Some positive, some negative, some irrelevant.

Did you know that Breust has a rugby background?

Its a classic when people criticize a player for a bad game when actually they are carrying an injury or are playing a negating role instructed by the coaches.
Ok the rest of the post I agree with but If you take the field ure a 100% percent fit. Same goes for Burgoyne and his broken ribs. Its a personal decision to put your hand up then you wear the consequences for that poor performance

Yes fair call...but helps if the person criticising knows the full picture thats all...almost impossible to keep up and know the circumstances of each player though...
True but since when do people anywhere including the media have the full picture and hesitate to criticize. I would go further and say that we never have the full picture on anything from round to round yet form an opinion by what we see. Its unfortunate but it is what it is. Some people have more informed opinions while others are shooting from the hip. It can be frustrating for me however that a player gets criticized for one bad game when they have played several good to great games in season. I mean we all have our down days we are all human. Give them a chance to redeem themselves at least. LOL I didn't realise I was going on a RANT and I will end it here.

Ok the rest of the post I agree with but If you take the field ure a 100% percent fit. Same goes for Burgoyne and his broken ribs. Its a personal decision to put your hand up then you wear the consequences for that poor performance

True, but the "you're fit if you take the field" only really works in inter-player comparisons, not to intra-player comparisons.

Sure, say "his performance was less than the average player, he needs to wear that." or "his performance was down compared to this other player that could have played and it cost us" those are fine.

But saying "gee that player is playing well below what we usually get from him!" when he's injured is a bit silly, let's be brutally honest here.

True but since when do people anywhere including the media have the full picture and hesitate to criticize. I would go further and say that we never have the full picture on anything from round to round yet form an opinion by what we see. Its unfortunate but it is what it is. Some people have more informed opinions while others are shooting from the hip. It can be frustrating for me however that a player gets criticized for one bad game when they have played several good to great games in season. I mean we all have our down days we are all human. Give them a chance to redeem themselves at least. LOL I didn't realise I was going on a RANT and I will end it here.
Just want to point one thing out. The decision to take the field need only result in you being better than your replacement, not necessarily your usual form. So Burgoyne May still have been the best choice to play even if he was injured compared to the next best option when all things are co soldered. So we can still cut him some slack that he didn’t live up to his own standards because he probably only had to be better than miles. Of course he might not have been and that is potentially where he needs to accept criticism.

Its a classic when people criticize a player for a bad game when actually they are carrying an injury or are playing a negating role instructed by the coaches.

Hardwick finishing so well in our B&F is a classic example. I doubt many would have predicted that, we now know that he was doing exactly what the coaches were asking of him. On injuries, I know some will say (and have!) that once you go onto the field you are 'fit', but realistically there are reasons why you might find yourself playing not 100% fit.

Standard media repeating falsehoods due to being unoriginal and not doing any research. Some comments get said about a player and just stick. Some positive, some negative, some irrelevant.

Did you know that Breust has a rugby background?

I know the Breusts and I don't think he played much rugby, which is probably part of your point. Commentary in games has become virtually scripted, Mason Cox is from the US and is tall, I must have heard that 40+ times in the GF!

Just want to point one thing out. The decision to take the field need only result in you being better than your replacement, not necessarily your usual form. So Burgoyne May still have been the best choice to play even if he was injured compared to the next best option when all things are co soldered. So we can still cut him some slack that he didn’t live up to his own standards because he probably only had to be better than miles. Of course he might not have been and that is potentially where he needs to accept criticism.
That’s a good point. I remember thinking after our two finals that Burgoyne had a shocker of a finals series.
Then found out after he had busted ribs and thought, who would have replaced him and done better?

Hardwick finishing so well in our B&F is a classic example. I doubt many would have predicted that, we now know that he was doing exactly what the coaches were asking of him. On injuries, I know some will say (and have!) that once you go onto the field you are 'fit', but realistically there are reasons why you might find yourself playing not 100% fit.

Hardwick was robbed of our B&F :p if you didnt realise Hardwick has been one of our best players for the last 2 years, it just shows you're not paying attention :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the Breusts and I don't think he played much rugby, which is probably part of your point. Commentary in games has become virtually scripted, Mason Cox is from the US and is tall, I must have heard that 40+ times in the GF!

Correct, he didn’t play much rugby. He did play rugby league though ;).

The club is going to have to put about 6 or7 kg of lean muscle on this kid if he is going to make it , if they can we will have a player on our hands.

Yes, what is wrong with the whole state of Victoria not understanding this.

Rugby = Rugby Union

Football / footy (in the heartland) / league = Rugby League.

And in Temora they most certainly play League not Rugby.

As a public school attendee from a northern state it’s not something I can let go!

As a public school attendee from a northern state it’s not something I can let go!
For me there's rugby, league and footy.
In Victoria they seem to think it's rugby league and footy. The comma is gone.

I grew up in Victoria and Tonga, In Tonga they only play Rugby, although the Mate Ma'a Tonga (Die for Tonga) the rugby league side has been doing really well of late.

I went to school in Melbourne with a league fan who supported manly and had the distinction instilled in me by him early on. What I could not figure out about him though, was how he could not get into footy (aussie rules).

For me there's rugby, league and footy.
In Victoria they seem to think it's rugby league and footy. The comma is gone.

I grew up in Victoria and Tonga, In Tonga they only play Rugby, although the Mate Ma'a Tonga (Die for Tonga) the rugby league side has been doing really well of late.

I went to school in Melbourne with a league fan who supported manly and had the distinction instilled in me by him early on. What I could not figure out about him though, was how he could not get into footy (aussie rules).
Aerial ping pong was what I got from my NSW relatives.

Some of them are now mad Swans fans btw and Buddy is a big reason. Who wouldnt want to watch that campaigner?

:(

And Pendles had a basketball background and Sidebottom kicked ten goals in the TAC GF....

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back