Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Briar Gold

Premium Platinum
Apr 21, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For me there's rugby, league and footy.
In Victoria they seem to think it's rugby league and footy. The comma is gone.

I grew up in Victoria and Tonga, In Tonga they only play Rugby, although the Mate Ma'a Tonga (Die for Tonga) the rugby league side has been doing really well of late.

I went to school in Melbourne with a league fan who supported manly and had the distinction instilled in me by him early on. What I could not figure out about him though, was how he could not get into footy (aussie rules).

I've converted League fans and a few Americans to our game. It requires a mix of live games and TV viewing with some personalised commentary. Add in passion and the fact I got them to support a successful club...bingo.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't see why. Big footy is counted as being published in a public domain...
If I was a journalist and the lifeblood of my stories were people, I think itd be a common courtesy to at least ask - shoot him a PM. Not saying its a big deal as clearly its not, but why risk burning a bridge unnecessarily.

Last edited:
If I was a journalist and the lifeblood of my stories were people, I think itd be a common coutesy to at least ask - shoot him a PM. Not saying its a big deal as clearly its not, but why risk burning a bridge unnecessarily.
Oh yeah agree entirely from the professional courtesty pov, and I don't doubt that Hash would have. Especially seeing as he named Jack's dad in the article.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok the rest of the post I agree with but If you take the field ure a 100% percent fit. Same goes for Burgoyne and his broken ribs. Its a personal decision to put your hand up then you wear the consequences for that poor performance
Yep, if you are not able to contribute don't go out there let the coaches pick someone fit and ready to go.

That being said, all players have corkies, tightness and aches and pains throughout the year.

Some days they warm up and are fine and play well, other days they can't get to full pace or jump.

Tom Hawkins had a back injury a while back and couldn't bend or sprint or reach overhead somedays. Then he'd play well the next week and miss a game the week later play 3 poor games with a good one in the middle. Sometimes until you really get into the game you don't know how a niggle can effect you.

Swelling just starts up halfway through the game.

O'meara last year did all preseason then played well in the start of the year then had a shocker round 3 as he was sore from the load. I'm sure going into the game he thought he would be able to play like the week before (37 touches)

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Ok the rest of the post I agree with but If you take the field ure a 100% percent fit. Same goes for Burgoyne and his broken ribs. Its a personal decision to put your hand up then you wear the consequences for that poor performance

I don't think it's quite that simple. I suspect a large majority of players play through some variation of niggles and hurts over the course of their career. And if they didn't, clubs could often struggle to field full teams

I don't think it's quite that simple. I suspect a large majority of players play through some variation of niggles and hurts over the course of their career. And if they didn't, clubs could often struggle to field full teams
Of course mate they do that week to week and their performance doesn't really degrade enough to notice. Its when you are carrying a significant injury into a game

FisherHawk

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2007
Snooza
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I could only imagine the thrill of playing for the Hawks, a club I've barracked for my whole life. This guy has realised his childhood dream of playing for the Hawks. It doesn't get any better than that for him! Now it'll be interesting to see how much he can improve playing in the Brown and Gold

Of course mate they do that week to week and their performance doesn't really degrade enough to notice. Its when you are carrying a significant injury into a game

Except Luke Hodge in the 2008 GF: the word is that he had broken ribs, although no-one has ever confirmed it.

He was fit enough to win the Norm Smith, though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gidday Mojo,

This is something I was asked to do a short while ago, its probably a bit more than you asked for but simple to give you so please forgive the mostly cut and paste stuff with updates edited in...hope you find it a good read.

Ill try to keep this unbiased! :)

He is reserved if not quiet in unknown company but a very likeable, mess around kid with those he knows well. He has a tight group of mates he has had grown up with at school and through footy, some of them did OK in the draft, Polson, Florent, Setterfield, McGrath, Gallucci and Taranto amoungst others!! All very similar kids, love and are dedicated to their footy.

Jack was average at school, smart if he focused but always totally consumed with his footy and basketball. From a parents perspective, always banging my head against the wall to get him to put his footy down and open up his books! He also played rep BBall with the Sabres in Sandringham until forced to choose. Could also have been a good cricketer. Very hard in year 12 when you are in the AFL academy, playing state footy, school footy, TAC cup and trying to study!

When it comes to his footy, he never makes excuses but I can say the truth, that is he has had some frustrating set backs just prior to his draft leading up to mid last season when he finally started getting his body and mind right.

In early 2015, his U17 year, he had come off a stand out U16 national carnival (in 2014) for Vic Metro and was selected in the AFL academy (basically the all Australian side) and worked in that program until he was drafted. Kids without character dont come close to getting into this program BTW. He was one of only two Vic Metro players chosen. (the other was Jordan Gallucci. now at Adelaide). Anyway, early 2015 after just after being selected to play for Vic Metro at bottom age, he had a routine check up and the Metro doc noticed some inflexibility in his left hip and requested a scan. They found a small impingement, part of the hip bone that was larger. It wasnt stopping him playing but the docs thought it would be a restriction at professional level and recommended to have an op to basically scrape the bone away and free him up. The aim was to have him ready for his draft year.

The op was a success but the recovery was more than 15 weeks so he missed most of his bottom age year. When you hear Matthew Lloyd talk, this is when he knew him at Haileybury (school) and it no doubt frustrated Llloydy that he wasnt playing. For school he was told by the Metro docs to go easy and I think this is where Lloydy saw him as needing to do more work, when actually he wasnt allowed to! Haileybury footy is now headed up by Matthew Lloyd and before him, Stewart Loewe, whos son was in the lower year to Jack. Both Lloydy and Stewie have told me Jack was the best junior player they ever saw but I reckon Gunna would hold that mantle atm.

Jack Gunstan played junior footy at Beaumaris, then Sandringham Dragons and went to school at Haileybury, same as Jack Scrimshaw!

His first game back after his op was an incredible day for all of us! He played in the AFL Academy team vs the U18 All Stars on the G as the curtain raiser to the Hawks 2015 flag! What a day!

He played for just 20mins and from memory he kicked three goals and did well. Next he was flown off to Tampa with the academy where he attempted to do too much and sustained a stress fracture in his heel from poor boots/shoes. That put him out for the back half of that pre-season and the docs conservatively put him in a moon boot for another 6 weeks! Jack returned to play school footy from around the May 2016 of his draft year, way behind his teamates with his fitness and ability to run out a game. Prior to his op he was running 14.3 beeps, elite for a kid his height. This indicates hard work done earlier to get there.

He played very well at school then went straight into the Nationals representing Vic Metro in May/June 2016. He played a stand out game considering v SA which basically secured them the title. He played his first game in the TAC cup in approx round 15 2016 and I think was the first player to represent Australia and Vic Metro without ever playing a TAC Cup game. Theres some trivia for you!

His season ended with 23 possessions and a great game in the Sandringham Dragons flag. Of course he ended up going pick 7 in the 2016 draft and off to the Gold Coast!

I wont say too much about his time at the Suns other than his frustrating minor set backs like a hip flexor, bone spur in his foot, fractured cheek and a KO added to his homesickness. This lack of match fitness frustrated him, effected his confidence and got him down and probably a lack of maturity and experience made it tough for him. He was drafted by Rocket Eade and Scott Clayton who were sacked the next season. He played his 4 games at the back end of 2017 at AFL level and a total of 17 for the year. His body was cooked by his 4th senior game after a gruelling year trying to get his body right.

Some not close to him, viewed this training and effort on field as being lazy or having an attitude problem, which is not the case at all. It was mostly fitness and frustration from not being able to get a good run at playing seniors. Mid season he mentioned he wouldnt mind coming home and thats where his agent took over and I believe the Hawks became interested.

The Suns have announced a large investment in player welfare for the coming years as part of their retention plans. Unfortunately this was coming too late for Jack. In a short window of time (March to May '18) when his head was not where it needs to be it would have been good to have the right level of mentoring, leadership and support around him.

Jack has barracked for the Hawks all his life, idolized Crawf and Willo in the 2000s and then later Buddy, Roughy, Cyril and Birch. If you look closely at the 2013 flag when Hilly runs into the open goal in the last, he runs to the fence and high fives Jack and his mate! He's wearing a yellow raincoat from memory!!!

Ive got no doubt this trade by the Hawks was a clever decision by Clarko and Wrighty. In just the first meeting with Clarko it has had a tremendous impact on him. He is really up and about! Fingers crossed if he can do a full pre-season, the Hawks fans will be delighted with him Im sure.

Next step, Kokoda which will be fantastic for him!

We are all very much looking forward to 2019! It cant come quick enough!

Just a big thank you for the write up. Awesome to read and wrapt for you too!

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM

Flamin Joe

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood
Good that he acknowledged big footy in the article.

I didn't realise web forums are now considered "Social Media" (which is what the source is referred as). I would class Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc in that category but I guess times have changed.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
I didn't realise web forums are now considered "Social Media" (which is what the source is referred as). I would class Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc in that category but I guess times have changed.

Technically I don't think they are, but it's a case of nearest to the pin

For me there's rugby, league and footy.
In Victoria they seem to think it's rugby league and footy. The comma is gone.

I grew up in Victoria and Tonga, In Tonga they only play Rugby, although the Mate Ma'a Tonga (Die for Tonga) the rugby league side has been doing really well of late.

I went to school in Melbourne with a league fan who supported manly and had the distinction instilled in me by him early on. What I could not figure out about him though, was how he could not get into footy (aussie rules).
Find in Victoria (going to a school that played union) that we called afl footy, league rugby and what you northern lot call rugby we call union.

Find in Victoria (going to a school that played union) that we called afl footy, league rugby and what you northern lot call rugby we call union.
I still struggle with people saying AFL when they really mean Aussie Rules.

I am not part of the northern lot to which you refer. Melbourne through and through (and nuku'alofa)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back