Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Birchall, Guerra, Hodge, Ladson say hi.

I'm not sure you can count Hodge in that as he was still very much a midfielder.

Guerra and Birchall were the main competitors in my mind, but seriously - if Scrimshaw comes on as expected I think they'll be surpassed. Particularly when you add Blake Hardwick into the mix, he's another one who can put the ball wherever he wants it. Hardly ever see him waste it!

Peter knights, Gary Ayres and Chris Mew...

That's why I mentioned AFL era, don't know enough before my time to comment about anything before that.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not sure you can count Hodge in that as he was still very much a midfielder.

Guerra and Birchall were the main competitors in my mind, but seriously - if Scrimshaw comes on as expected I think they'll be surpassed. Particularly when you add Blake Hardwick into the mix, he's another one who can put the ball wherever he wants it. Hardly ever see him waste it!

That's why I mentioned AFL era, don't know enough before my time to comment about anything before that.

Davo likes to portray himself as the poster boy hawk tragic, you are clearly lacking in your knowledge to facilitate dialogue with the old codger... I would refrain from engaging with him unless you want to feel inadequate :think:

Davo likes to portray himself as the poster boy hawk tragic, you are clearly lacking in your knowledge to facilitate dialogue with the old codger... I would refrain from engaging with him unless you want to feel inadequate :think:

Play nicely!

Hopefully Scrimshaw is picked for this weeks JLT game against Brisbane and puts his hand up for Round 1. There is one vacant spot in the backline for the taking with no timeframe for Birchall’s return.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Guerra criminally underrated. One of the best kicks you’ll see and hard as nails. Team man to the core too. He was an absolute ripper.

Guerra and Birchall were the main competitors in my mind, but seriously - if Scrimshaw comes on as expected I think they'll be surpassed. Particularly when you add Blake Hardwick into the mix, he's another one who can put the ball wherever he wants it. Hardly ever wastes it.
This what happens when you haven't seen them play for a few years.

Goo and Birch both being underrated here.

Hardwick could play like Goo and Scrimshaw could play like Birch, yet to be see if they do and if they are as successful at it.

I like Dimma a lot but he has to keep doing it for a good 5 years to approach Goo or lift his game up higher.

Scrimshaw has got a long road ahead if he wants to catch a four time premiership hawk who was ultra consistent across that entire period

Be great if they both end up multiple premiership players and are legit being discussed around where they sit amongst the greats but you are seriously selling the older guys short at the moment

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Burton and Scrimshaw are completely different players, Burton is a KPP with an ability to rebound, Scrimshaw is more like a Birchall, man up on someone and be used to counter attack with run and poss, except Birchall is as tough as nails and loves to get into a scrap and puts his body on the line at nearly every contest, thats the major difference between the 2, maybe Scrimshaw is more like a Suckling without the high quality kicking/goal sense? for mine he just doesnt have that something to separate him from the rest, his height and frame make him look awkward and you need to be steady as a defender imo, awkward defenders tend to leak goals and anger fans, so we'll see if he can perform with his unique strengths and weaknesses.

Guerra, Birchall, Stratton and Hardwick (Hodge part-time)are the best general defenders we've had during the Clarkson era, best KPD's would be Croad, Gibson, Lake.

Last edited:

Hardwick could play like Goo and Scrimshaw could play like Birch, yet to be see if they do and if they are as successful at it.

I like Dimma a lot but he has to keep doing it for a good 5 years to approach Goo or lift his game up higher.

Scrimshaw has got a long road ahead if he wants to catch a four time premiership hawk who was ultra consistent across that entire period

Be great if they both end up multiple premiership players and are legit being discussed around where they sit amongst the greats but you are seriously selling the older guys short at the moment

I did actually go back recently and watch most of the 2008 season just to see how much the game had changed, so their ability is fresh for me.

I know how good they were, and I haven't said that they are currently better than those guys - I'm saying their peak could be higher and I believe that they will be.

Dimma is on a trajectory to be as good as Guerra, and Scrimshaw based on talent could be as good as Birch was - but for mine, the difference between how lethal we were from defense back then and now is the combination of those two guys with Sicily. On his own he's one of the best, if not the best field kick in the game today.

The team around them will struggle to be as good as what we had in 2008 or 2013, meaning they might not end their careers with 4 premierships, but that one part of our game has potential to be as good as I've ever seen.

Okay, AFL era started in 1990: Langford,Collins, Ayres, Mew ...
You tell me when to stop!

Loads more in the VFL era - the Hawks have always had great attacking defenders.

Guerra, Birchall, Stratton and Hardwick (Hodge part-time)are the best general defenders we've had during the Clarkson era, best KPD's would be Croad, Gibson, Lake.
Needs more Gibson in the General Defenders part as well I think. He seemed to play both roles at different times.

I reckon you'll be surprised by Skrillex.

I did actually go back recently and watch most of the 2008 season just to see how much the game had changed, so their ability is fresh for me.

I know how good they were, and I haven't said that they are currently better than those guys - I'm saying their peak could be higher and I believe that they will be.

Dimma is on a trajectory to be as good as Guerra, and Scrimshaw based on talent could be as good as Birch was - but for mine, the difference between how lethal we were from defense back then and now is the combination of those two guys with Sicily. On his own he's one of the best, if not the best field kick in the game today.

The team around them will struggle to be as good as what we had in 2008 or 2013, meaning they might not end their careers with 4 premierships, but that one part of our game has potential to be as good as I've ever seen.
2008 isn't peak Birchall

It's great to be optimistic about kids but Scrimshaw hasn't shown he has the talent to be as good as Birchall and Sicily wasn't part of your post

You're happy to drop Hodge out and then compare 2 blokes to now 3

And you're still selling Birch and Goo short

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2008 isn't peak Birchall

It's great to be optimistic about kids but Scrimshaw hasn't shown he has the talent to be as good as Birchall and Sicily wasn't part of your post

You're happy to drop Hodge out and then compare 2 blokes to now 3

And you're still selling Birch and Goo short

We dont even know if Scrimshaw will ever play for the HFC in an AFL game. Indicators are he should but making calls on his talent/career are premature speculation.

We dont even know if Scrimshaw will ever play for the HFC in an AFL game. Indicators are he should but making calls on his talent/career are premature speculation.
I used to suffer from that.:( But it can be fixed.:)

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Having said all that, Lake was my favorite Hawk defender to watch. He used to boss Hawkins for fun. Just felt so damn confident every time the ball went to him in a 1v1. Such a rarity as a hawks fan re key defenders. Mew/ Langers my other favs.

Agree. I loved to watch Lake who was one of the best contested marks of his era and enormously strong in the contest. An unusual guy but a rare talent.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Scrimshaw is a 195cm athlete. I think his first few years with us he'll stay as that 3rd tall, rebounding HB. But I'd love to see him move into the mids as he develops. Once he's reached his peak weight he may even be able to hold down that 2nd KPD slot on occasions. There's a reason GW had him ~#1 in his draft year and having his first genuine preseason coinciding with his first year with us. Keen to see him from R1!

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Burton and Scrimshaw are completely different players, Burton is a KPP with an ability to rebound, Scrimshaw is more like a Birchall, man up on someone and be used to counter attack with run and poss, except Birchall is as tough as nails and loves to get into a scrap and puts his body on the line at nearly every contest, thats the major difference between the 2, maybe Scrimshaw is more like a Suckling without the high quality kicking/goal sense? for mine he just doesnt have that something to separate him from the rest, his height and frame make him look awkward and you need to be steady as a defender imo, awkward defenders tend to leak goals and anger fans, so we'll see if he can perform with his unique strengths and weaknesses.

I really hope we throw Scrimshaw in and give him the chance, looks the goods and has all the athletic abilities and skill to be elite.

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC

Agreed, both Birchall/Guerra were stars in their own right. Re Guerra if he hadn't have pulled a hamstring in rd 22 2012, we would've won the flag that year

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree. I loved to watch Lake who was one of the best contested marks of his era and enormously strong in the contest. An unusual guy but a rare talent.
I remember a year when he was still at the Doggies, maybe 2010 or thereabouts where Brian was simply dominant.
He was playing in the back line like he was a year 12 boy having a kick to kick with the year 9s at recess. He just destroyed the opposition forwards and took an absolute plethora of contested marks each game. An unusual man with issues off the field but on pure footballing talent he was a rare beast indeed.

I remember a year when he was still at the Doggies, maybe 2010 or thereabouts where Brian was simply dominant.
He was playing in the back line like he was a year 12 boy having a kick to kick with the year 9s at recess. He just destroyed the opposition forwards and took an absolute plethora of contested marks each game. An unusual man with issues off the field but on pure footballing talent he was a rare beast indeed.

Yeah it was 2010, after that year he held the record for most intercept marks in a season until it was broken by Gov in 2016.

Back