Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Need to see some centre bounce minutes. We know what the bulls provide (shields, jom and titch) but this guy could provide a real point of difference. His work in tight today was a feature!

I've wanted to see him in the centre since his first pre-season with us where he played a half in the middle and racked up 20. Watching him in defense only solidified that, he is brilliant in close and offers something different for us with his foot skills and size.

Yep, was great yesterday and agree we need to start trialing him in midfield as when Sicily and day are back there’s a logjam for spots in the backline. So clean and smart in congestion and unlike our current mids has agility, height and can kick.

Birchall is better suited to playing mainly as a defender, Whitfield on the other hand is the one who should play on the wing when Sicily comes back. ;)

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've wanted to see him in the centre since his first pre-season with us where he played a half in the middle and racked up 20. Watching him in defense only solidified that, he is brilliant in close and offers something different for us with his foot skills and size.
He is a natural footballer, a bit like Pendlebury in the way he always seems to have time when ball in hand.

Would not mind giving him a crack in the middle but it might take away his other great strength his contested marking.

He is a natural footballer, a bit like Pendlebury in the way he always seems to have time when ball in hand.

Would not mind giving him a crack in the middle but it might take away his other great strength his contested marking.

Nothing wrong with having strong hands as a midfielder, it's a bonus around the ground honestly. A tough inboard kick doesn't seem quite as tough when the bloke you're kicking to can mark it under pressure.

I think I might be Jack’s biggest fan.

Cant get my head around how undersold he is by the AFL media for what he does when he’s out on the park because he continuously shows that he’s got some absolute class, yet is never mentioned as one of our up and comers. It’s like he’s invisible to many.

Cant get my head around how undersold he is by the AFL media for what he does when he’s out on the park because he continuously shows that he’s got some absolute class, yet is never mentioned as one of our up and comers. It’s like he’s invisible to many.
Scrimmers is one of our best players in my opinion and really should be in the first few selected each week. Should only ever be considered for BH if he is coming back from an injury.

I think it's because he hasn't had "The Jack Scrimshaw Game" yet - he's been consistent but hasn't had that game to throw him into the limelight. Same reason we never heard much about Blake Hardwick.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Been a fan of Jack's from the start.
He's got the talent to drive this team to victories.
At the moment he is playing his role very nicely, but a bit of continuity might help if you want him to get some recognition.
10 and 13 in his first two seasons suggests he hasn't really put it together yet.

Just imagine how good he will be when he gets the continuity and rhythm to his football!

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hasn’t been able to stay on the park for long enough to get the attention. Let him remain our little secret for now 😉

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

The fact a lot of neutrals still think Burton is better is staggering to me.

The only thing stopping Scrimshaw from cementing himself as one of the better young players in the league is a consistent run without injuries.

Spot on.

When he outmarked Ryan in the last game of 2019 it was a superb piece of play glossed over by the commentators. And that standard has just remained unchanged.

MatteeG

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg FC, KC Royals, NO Saints
Spot on.

When he outmarked Ryan in the last game of 2019 it was a superb piece of play glossed over by the commentators. And that standard has just remained unchanged.

Agree- a magnificent grab almost totally ignored.

Scrim has to show he can back up from games over an entire season before he can be considered a lock for this team. Its time for him to ignore the little niggles that every player has during season and front up to train and play

Scrim has to show he can back up from games over an entire season before he can be considered a lock for this team. Its time for him to ignore the little niggles that every player has during season and front up to train and play
a hyper extended knee with some bone bruising is a serious injury it isn't just a niggle. It looks like he has got himself back in good nick now.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Its actually kind of shocking how much alike he is to Birchall. Birchall never got any wraps but was one of our most consistent, high performing players. I think the only time Birch got comments by the media was on game when he got 30 touches at 100% efficiency. Scrimshaw might not have quite as piercing kick as Birchall but is far better overhead and a lot cleaner in traffic when under pressure.

Scrimshaw is a pleasure to watch and I'm still shocked he couldn't find a way in our best 22 in the opening two rounds.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The fact a lot of neutrals still think Burton is better is staggering to me.

The only thing stopping Scrimshaw from cementing himself as one of the better young players in the league is a consistent run without injuries.
Ironically is something Burton also needs

a hyper extended knee with some bone bruising is a serious injury it isn't just a niggle. It looks like he has got himself back in good nick now.

His injuries have mainly been unlucky impact injuries
I am not going to say anymore on this matter. I have said what I wanted to say there are always reasons for players to not get selected

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am not going to say anymore on this matter. I have said what I wanted to say there are always reasons for players to not get selected
I like Scrimshaw a lot but can't help but agree with the last bit. Whether it is performance issues, laziness, team structure knowledge, disciplinary reasons, conditioning, injury, etc there is a reason someone isn't playing AFL, regardless of how talented they are.

Hasn’t been able to stay on the park for long enough to get the attention. Let him remain our little secret for now 😉

Even the social media team forgets Jack sometimes ;)

I'm a huge fan myself. I would love to see him with some midfield minutes if he achieves the required consistency in games played.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'm a huge fan myself. I would love to see him with some midfield minutes if he achieves the required consistency in games played.

Really highlights SYL's comment earlier hahaha. Even our own media team forgot about him

Maybe they were going for an opening film credits thing?

STARRING... 2nd biggest name, 3rd, 4th, etc, etc, AND the biggest name

;)

Agree, but think its due to just not stringing enough games together. His marking is undersold.

Back