Toast Welcome to the Kennel - Ben Cavarra Pick #45

Remove this Banner Ad

A natural forward which is what we need - not sure if it’s just me but I’d feel a lot better about this pick if it wasn’t for the 5 mature agers pre selected by Carlton & Gold Coast. Got to wonder why he wasn’t in that mix yet is worth a third rounder

Because Gold Coast needed and wanted players with height. Carlton were just picking players to trade to other clubs, they didn't give a crap about who they picked up, interstate teams who were interested in Carltons access to state players were wanting local players over Vics.

It's about time Benny was given a big chance. Rapt for him. Had a lot to do with him at Eastern, and he was already a standout. Apart from his undeniable skills, he has true leadership, and is a quality person.
Sadly though he replaces his former teammate and buddy, Mitch Honeychurch.

Ran a 2.88 over 20m and 8.03 in the agility. I know hes older but that makes him quicker over 20m than anyone else in the draft, and equal top with Rankine in agility.

Awesome.

We have a small forward. Hooray.

I’m struggling to understand where his pace has suddenly come from. The knock on him previously seems to be his size and that he was slow. And yet his combine results suggest hes one of the quickest around. I know you can train to improve but pace tends to be a natural asset.

You can gain a bit of pace by building leg muscles and fixing your natural gait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m struggling to understand where his pace has suddenly come from. The knock on him previously seems to be his size and that he was slow. And yet his combine results suggest hes one of the quickest around. I know you can train to improve but pace tends to be a natural asset.
You can be quick in testing and not know how to use your speed to advantage on matchday. These things aren't straightforward.

I don't get a chance to see Vfl and only know what I've read and highlight clips, but seeing his combine results, tackle numbers and hearing him speak, he seems an ideal choice. Looking forward to seeing how he goes.

I don't get a chance to see Vfl and only know what I've read and highlight clips, but seeing his combine results, tackle numbers and hearing him speak, he seems an ideal choice. Looking forward to seeing how he goes.
Ready for action
Add jumper, will play.

Did anyone hear his interview on SEN? Amazing story of persistence. He's definitely meeting the high quality character benchmark we set for draftees.

Hopefully he's our Billy Gowers for next b year, a kid who comes from the clouds and becomes best 22

Its a weird one isnt it, I remember the talk about him always being that he wasnt too quick. I think players do get faster or at least learn to test better or something. I remember reading a couple of years ago Jong ran something crazy like a 2.70 something 20m. I dont believe anyone has ever ran that at the combine or at least not in recent years, and I'm sure there are kids coming through who are just as quick over 20 as Jongy.

Did anyone hear his interview on SEN? Amazing story of persistence. He's definitely meeting the high quality character benchmark we set for draftees.

Hopefully he's our Billy Gowers for next b year, a kid who comes from the clouds and becomes best 22
Great interview on SEN. You could hear the emotion in his voice of how grateful he is to get a chance. Asked when he is starting he said " On Wednesday. But I am going to give the club a call and see whether I can start earlier, on Monday." Really interested to see how he goes, he will leave no stone unturned to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back