Welcome to the kennel Dominic Bedendo

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I worry when someone new comes into a must-win game against strong opposition. Have they any idea what's in store for them? Both on the ground and in the forum?

I love it. From Dom's perspective, the coach is showing enormous faith in him. He knows how high the stakes are for this game. He's not being given a run against North, he is being brought into a team and expected to have an impact against a top four side. It will be great for his self-belief to know that the coach has such high expectations of him. And it makes a better debut story for the lad to look back on one day, win or lose. I also have a suspicion that we get a nice little spike of energy and excitement from playing a debutant, and Bevo uses it as a secret weapon. Doesn't always work but I like it.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love it. From Dom's perspective, the coach is showing enormous faith in him. He knows how high the stakes are for this game. He's not being given a run against North, he is being brought into a team and expected to have an impact against a top four side. It will be great for his self-belief to know that the coach has such high expectations of him. And it makes a better debut story for the lad to look back on one day, win or lose. I also have a suspicion that we get a nice little spike of energy and excitement from playing a debutant, and Bevo uses it as a secret weapon. Doesn't always work but I like it.

Remember the scenes when Weightman kicked his first goal? Lifted the whole team to see that banana sail through.

Combined with some energy and excitement from Macrae’s 200th I hope.

Brass Dog

Senior List
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yankees
I remember Caleb Daniel’s first match. Came on as the sub and basically turned the game back in our favour. Hopefully Dom brings some of that energy.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Super athlete, probably the best all round athlete at the club I would think. Tested elite to very good in pace, agility, endurance and leap.
Very clean at ground level and in the air.
Has lots of X-factor.
Goal sense too, he’s brilliant around goals. Super sticky hands - long term ideally running the wing getting back to help out in defence and forward to stretch the oppo defence.

I’d imagine his tackles will get broken quite easily as he’s still slight but he cracks in okay from what I’ve seen, just body holds him back a little bit.

I don’t think Fergus Greenes a great comparison tbh, he already has a much more well rounded - complete game than Ferg ever had. Plus is a different beast athletically.

Tbf we’ve probably made him out to sound like Gary Ablett snr here - he does have weaknesses, main concern being can be a bit panicky with his decision making and technically isn’t a great kick but not dire levels like a Garcia etc, I think he clean up his disposal enough to not be a concern.

In the past has drifted in and out of games but tbf to him since he’s moved to the wing his output has been pretty consistently 20 touches most weeks I’d guess.

I’m super keen on him, Bedendo on one wing and Williams on the other sounds great tbh - not sure where that leaves Lachie though

How do we pronounce the lads name.

Be dendo or

Bed endo

Cheers
Stephen
I'm going with Buh-DEN-dough (but I've never met him and I don't speak Portuguese, so who knows). Bed-endo sounds a bit too much like a furniture part.

We're going to get a lot of tongue-tied commentators that's for sure. It was too much for Joe Root's excitable co-commentator* last week in the VFL. He gave us a few intriguing variations like BenDeano, Bendendo, Bennido, etc.

Anyway ... Be more Dendo! Go the Bandido!

* It would have been an unsavoury job for whoever had to sanitise the microphones after the game.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t think Fergus Greenes a great comparison tbh, he already has a much more well rounded - complete game than Ferg ever had. Plus is a different beast athletically.

It's a terrible comparison. I can only hope the Greene comparison was born out of the fact he was delisted and then we picked Bedendo in place of Greene because they really are different. Greene was a very limited player, Bedendo will probably play on all three lines throughout his career and could possibly end up as an Easton Wood style defender. There's a lot of possibilities with this kid, but you're right though, he just needs to clean up his disposal a bit.

I've been critical of the club for hanging on to players for too long. A lot of people wanted to keep Greene on here, I'm glad we got rid of him and got a better one in Bedendo. Can't wait to see him play.

Last edited:
Back