List Mgmt. Welcome to the Kennel Hayden Crozier

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or did Crozier not get enough love for that mark, he was running full pace with the flight of the ball and just launched himself on top of whoever was in his way to take a fantastic grab but all the media could go on about was Liam Ryan's mark, some saying it was one the greatest of all time.
Am I missing something? I know I am biased but surely Crozier is very close to MOTY with one of his marks but I get the feeling it's going to be another time where the dogs get shafted because we are not one of the big clubs, eg Bont's GOTY & Rising star, Macrae AA etc etc

Is it just me or did Crozier not get enough love for that mark, he was running full pace with the flight of the ball and just launched himself on top of whoever was in his way to take a fantastic grab but all the media could go on about was Liam Ryan's mark, some saying it was one the greatest of all time.
Am I missing something? I know I am biased but surely Crozier is very close to MOTY with one of his marks but I get the feeling it's going to be another time where the dogs get shafted because we are not one of the big clubs, eg Bont's GOTY & Rising star, Macrae AA etc etc
There is a pretty simple explanation to this, and honestly I knew he wouldn't get the nomination.

The nominations are based on a fan popularity vote. Liam Ryan plays for one of the biggest clubs in the country. As soon as his name appears in the list of nominees, it was already basically guaranteed to be his. Crozier could have launched himself 3m into the air and caught it one handed behind his back, and he still wouldn't have had a chance at the nomination. The award really lacks credibility when they allow fans to vote on it

There is a pretty simple explanation to this, and honestly I knew he wouldn't get the nomination.

The nominations are based on a fan popularity vote. Liam Ryan plays for one of the biggest clubs in the country. As soon as his name appears in the list of nominees, it was already basically guaranteed to be his. Crozier could have launched himself 3m into the air and caught it one handed behind his back, and he still wouldn't have had a chance at the nomination. The award really lacks credibility when they allow fans to vote on it
Correct. Just a fan engagement device, it was never a genuine merit-based award. A shame really because MOTY and GOTY should really be something to showcase the game and aspire to have on your CV.

Unfortunately it's always going to be tainted because PR is its primary objective.

Same thing happened a few weeks ago with Naughton's soccer goal. Would have been a shoe-in for the GOTY nomination but it just went to a West Coast player for dodging a couple of tackles.

Hey lurking freo fans, yes Crozier is very good and yes he’d be best 22 at your club. Probably best 6 and potentially even in the leadership group. He is a chance to finish top 5 in our best and fairest this year in isolation and we are a much, much, much better side than you.

What a steal by us. We’ve picked up a great intercept defender and an excellent team player. All for nothing picks.

Hey lurking freo fans, yes Crozier is very good and yes he’d be best 22 at your club. Probably best 6 and potentially even in the leadership group. He is a chance to finish top 5 in our best and fairest this year in isolation and we are a much, much, much better side than you.

What a steal by us. We’ve picked up a great intercept defender and an excellent team player. All for nothing picks.
If I recall correctly, most Freo fans were happy he was going to get a fresh crack at it because they rated him highly.

He's such a gun and so important for our structure. Was good to hear him get some plaudits from the media during the week and through the game.

If I recall correctly, most Freo fans were happy he was going to get a fresh crack at it because they rated him highly.

He's such a gun and so important for our structure. Was good to hear him get some plaudits from the media during the week and through the game.

Mixed responses here, but a good snapshot of the consensus about him out west

Crozier was never going to be anything great. A half back flank... we got maximum of those every draft.

Acres is different.

Our post 2016 form means players like croz stand out apparently
Dogs fans reckon Crozier is a gun. A lot rate him in their top 5 or 6 players.
They've had a long and quick fall from 2016

And then:
Crozier is playing well at dogs but I wouldn’t prefer him in our team over anyone we have at the moment.

I like him, but agree with you that we have the position covered.

Mixed responses here, but a good snapshot of the consensus about him out west

Our post 2016 form means players like croz stand out apparently

And then:
And for balance..

One of my favourite players was Hayden, just a shame he couldn't put it all together for us but I'm sure with a more attacking gameplan, he'll be able to flourish at the dogs. Wish him nothing but the best, excellent clubman with a great work ethic and attitude. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Gonna be a great pick up for your club, we've argued on the Freo board for years that Hayden hasn't been able to unlock his full potential under Ross, maybe now he'll hang onto one of his massive marks he's been attempting every time he gets an opportunity. Looking forward to watching him play for a quick team who'll know how to use him properly :thumbsu:

"Not AFL quality" He's had all the flare drained out of him by Ross, needs a change of scenery but comments like yours are misinformed and stupid.

Hope he turns into a star for you guys, usually I'm bitter when players leave but imo for Croz to get the best out of himself he had to go.

Last year we played him off halfback and he flourished. For whatever reason, he had the whole pre season working as a halfback and as the season began we swapped him forward. Think he's best suited to a Jeremy Howe sort of role as his marking and skills are quite good. Does have a great goal sense though so half forward is always an option.

Good trade for you guys. He has the talent to seriously make us regret it. I already kind of am regretting it.

Haha. Crow-ze-er.

Agree with Moist Biscuit, he is probably better at half back.

Up forward he just struggles for consistency a bit. He'll do something amazing then go un-sighted for a half. However he has really improved his tackling and pressure since he got here. Probably technically the best set shot at the club maybe with Mundy, although I think he lost a bit of confidence this year. If he can find a bit of consistency up forward in a different game style you've got yourself a pretty reasonable, if not world beating HFF.

Down back though he just seems to be involved more if he can play a kind of quarterback role. Not much of a right foot (although in a pinch it is ok) but he can hit someone on the tit from 50 with the left and has pretty good vision. My only criticism down back would be he tends to stop, set, look for an option and then kick long rather than just taking off if he's in space, still finds the target the majority of the time. For Peel over the last few years he actually played as more of a wing/outside mid and is pretty serviceable in that role if required.

Also he throws up. A lot. Like once every few games he will yak on the field after running himself into the ground.

Sad to see him go but probably doesn't fit down back for us with Ryan and (hopefully) Wilson, and never really nailed down he spot up forward over Walters and now Bennell.

He does have a fair bit of flair though when the occasion warrants it. He looks quite slightly built but he has a good boot him and doesn't mind taking the riskier options if they have a high pay off. I think he'll do well off the half back flank, could even play as the loose man since he does read the play quite well.

Good deal for WB - though i guess Fremantle kind of owe the Dogs after the Hamling deal

Bizarrely, worked better as a half back than half forward at Freo. Can do the miraculous (but not consistently). He seems to be involved quite a bit more and use his natural weapons - vision and a pin point left boot - in the back line. As a few posters have mentioned, he does have the tools to flourish if he just puts it all together.

A good trade for the dogs. I, along with some mixed emotions in letting him go for unders. Then Again, hamling left freo for unders too. Crozier will thrive under dogs if he has enough free space

Never reached his potential under us and doubt he would have either. Needed a new environment and think he'll be a much better Bulldogs player than he was a Dockers player. Crozier is pretty good, down back his intercept marking, taking the game on, tackling and kicking should shine. Good get by your club, no remorse on my end, hope he kills it. Expecting him to do quite well for the doggies.

Pretty gutted he's been traded. I quite liked Hayden as a player and he's a good bloke. Jeremy Howe is a very good player comparison if he's sent down back.

The video on the AFL site didn't even include my favourite highlight of his!

Likes to take a speccy does croz..got a good jump on him too
.take care and good luck.

I think Crozier has always had the spectacular in him. However he’s now had 2+ years where he’s likely been our most consistent performer. It’s quite rare for a player to be able to combine the spectacular and the consistent. I’d say there’s only really Jeremy Howe that nails it in a similar way to Crozier, and just look at the plaudits he gets from the media.

I just watched the highlights of Thursday nights game on the Bulldogs app. It’s great to see that his game was really appreciated by whoever it is that compiles this stuff. They had a couple of his excellent high grabs but also a couple where his feet never left the ground and he simply read the flight of the ball best.

Surely one of our best pick ups over the last decade considering the cost. Very likeable and professional too. What more do you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crozier and Handling swapped clubs to become among the most important players for each other. Good trading relationship our clubs have established there, as both were traded for relative peanuts

I think we've always had a positive trading relationship with the WA teams. Can't recall a time either of them tried to offer unders or demand overs from us.

I think we've always had a positive trading relationship with the WA teams. Can't recall a time either of them tried to offer unders or demand overs from us.
We have a good relationship with the Swans too - Biggs comes to mind. I think really, the Bombers are the main stick in the mud team, but thats no surprise, its not like they put success ahead of player welfare....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back