List Mgmt. Welcome to the Kennel Hayden Crozier

Remove this Banner Ad

On his way to an All-Australian season.
I would agree with this but he is rarely mentioned by the media in conversation about the best backline players. Honestly he is rarely if ever beaten and even when the rest of the team have bad games Crozier is the one player who doesn’t seem to have an off one. He hasn’t made the AFL team of the week that I can remember, or maybe he did it once, but I would think he definitely should be under consideration for AA but I doubt he even makes the squad of 40. I hope I’m proven wrong. Probably behind Bont, Dunks and Macrae as our best player this year but I hope he starts getting some love from the media although with that ankle injury he probably won’t play for a couple of weeks and he will be sorely missed, particularly if Duryea is also not playing.

Didn’t notice it at the time but that is 100% a 50m penalty!
If you’re not in the contest you can’t touch him after he marks

Hard Ball loves defending The umps.
They just made a mistake on this one , no big deal , made no difference , but had to be 50.

Not really, just hate people constantly sooking about it. They make mistakes and they do a pretty good job all things considered.

Not sooking , and not a umpire basher , but as you say they make mistakes . And according to the other 5 people I was with ( 2 non Bulldogs ) they made a mistake on this one.
I know not going to change your mind HBG.

Not really, just hate people constantly sooking about it. They make mistakes and they do a pretty good job all things considered.

My query (below) was more about whether there has been a change in the rule or interpretation of the rule (using the Crozier example). If the 'no' touch rule is still in play, then the decision is black and white, particularly when someone (Hipwood in this case) is not in the contest. I agree that where we were a few years back, where a player would touch (but not impede) the player with the ball, resulting in a 50m penalty that this was ridiculous. As an (ex) umpire myself ... certainly not umpire bashing from me.

Have they changed the no holding after a mark/free kick rule?

My query (below) was more about whether there has been a change in the rule or interpretation of the rule (using the Crozier example). If the 'no' touch rule is still in play, then the decision is black and white, particularly when someone (Hipwood in this case) is not in the contest. I agree that where we were a few years back, where a player would touch (but not impede) the player with the ball, resulting in a 50m penalty that this was ridiculous. As an (ex) umpire myself ... certainly not umpire bashing from me.

So much of it is down to interpretations changing rather than a change of the rule. This is just one example. Others include a player having the ball knocked out of his hands is now pinged for dropping the ball (incorrect disposal) or a player who tries to kick the ball when tackled but misses or only gets a small piece of it is also pinged for incorrect disposal. Years ago that was play on.

No doubt you can think of a score of other instances of rules being enforced differently from season to season, and even from week to week.

We suffer a lot from not being a truly international sport where a multi-national rules body manages the rules (like FIFA or the ICC). Non-AFL followers admire its athleticism and spectacular play but they rightly mock its baffling set of rules.

Not sooking , and not a umpire basher , but as you say they make mistakes . And according to the other 5 people I was with ( 2 non Bulldogs ) they made a mistake on this one.
I know not going to change your mind HBG.
I'd bet that if you asked the same question on the Brisbane board, most would say that it was not deserving of a 50. Also, I'd say that most footy fans, if they saw that incident with neutral teams, they would prefer it not to be 50.

I could be wrong, but I think that the no touch is when the mark is taken and it is a standing situation, where the player has the ability to play on if desired. When a player takes a mark like that or he has fallen to the ground, there is a chance the ball will spill out. I don't think it is reasonable or easy to umpire a no touch rule in all instances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd bet that if you asked the same question on the Brisbane board, most would say that it was not deserving of a 50. Also, I'd say that most footy fans, if they saw that incident with neutral teams, they would prefer it not to be 50.

I could be wrong, but I think that the no touch is when the mark is taken and it is a standing situation, where the player has the ability to play on if desired. When a player takes a mark like that or he has fallen to the ground, there is a chance the ball will spill out. I don't think it is reasonable or easy to umpire a no touch rule in all instances.
There’s grey areas where a player not in the contest can be taken into the marking player by his own momentum. You can’t argue that with Hipwood here. He has no momentum and got on top of Crozier with the sole intention of slowing him down. You don’t see them paid and that’s partly because players usually disguise it better.

Had my heart in mouth whole week for his ank after dragging down another monster highlight to add to the reel.
Plays a blinder like nothing happened. Movement and attack on the ball unrelenting and repelling everything.
From memory did not miss any short kicks, kicked long when required and got seriously important touches in contested spaces.
My Halfback Hero

Stellar pick up. The new general of the backline. Love his 55 metre kicks down the line. He has taken over from Easton Wood

Reckon he might actually get the B&F this year. Think he hasn't had a bad match this season and the coaches would appreciate his efforts out there.

I’m absolutely positive he’ll win the most courageous award.

If he doesn’t, I’m even more positive he’ll charge from his seat & fly headfirst from the bottom of the stage into whoever wins.

Gun.

Will get more media/fan recognition as we get more Fri/Sat night games due to our strong end of season (hopefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back