Toast Welcome to the Kennel Jordon Sweet

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Does anyone know what his weaknesses are? He looks like he certainly has the ability to play next year if English doesn't come on as expected.

Does anyone know what his weaknesses are? He looks like he certainly has the ability to play next year if English doesn't come on as expected.
He's too sweet with the ball

Had a lot of injuries this year so that's a worry. I'd say a 20 year old ruck is still a baby in development terms so you'd assume there are plenty of weaknesses. Building a tank and strength will be two priorities.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

From AFL draft central

STRENGTHS: Ruckwork, strength, versatility
IMPROVEMENTS: Speed, agility, endurance

SUMMARY: Jordan Sweet is a 19 year-old who missed out on draft selection last year and has come back to put in some good performances for North Adelaide. A ruck standing at 203cm and 101kg, Sweet has shown promising steps forward through the ruck and pinch hitting up forward. He is strong and good at the stoppages, out-muscling many of his opponents. He does lack speed, agility and endurance so athletically he has a lot to work on. A club might take a rookie punt on him, or he will continue to develop in the SANFL as bigger players take longer to fully develop.

You can actually see him walking (vs jogging) between quite a lot of contests in his highlight vids. But endurance gains can be made pretty quickly.
esp being in a full time program

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like the sound of this bloke. Hope he plays soon and belts a few opposition players.

"My pressure around the contest is good, my game knowledge is strong, as well as my skills for a big man.

"I love the physicality aspect of the game, I love getting inside opponents' heads, so I'll bring a bit of aggression in the middle.

"I give myself every chance to play round one, and there's no reason why I shouldn't think I can't."...

North Adelaide coach and former Power and Docker midfielder Josh Carr can attest to his former protégé's change in attitude and he also believes Sweet will meet Beveridge's philosophy on ruckman.

"Over the past 12 months Jordon has really matured a lot and developed his game, so I reckon he's ready to have a go at (AFL level)," Carr told AFL.com.au.

"He's a really good runner, and I don't think he knew how good his tank was and it really surprised himself, so he's taken that with his love of throwing his weight around.

"He tackles, chases and puts on shepherds, which is what you want a ruckman to do.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-02/sweet-relief-for-new-bulldog-ruck-after-twoyear-wait

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Sounds like we have another Wilbur!
Very much so, with a little more footy polish. Was talking to a mate in SA who played for the Red Legs and he said his finals campaign with North Adelaide was very influential and plays like a big man.... He said in the right program with another pre-season or two he could be a real find. Lets hope :)

Last edited:
Looks as rough as guts from those videos, but has a go.
Ben Hudson looked rough as guts when he was 23, 24 (hence "Our Mastermind" wouldn't draft him) but was aggressive and really really good at all the small things rucks don't get stats for (blocks, pushes, clearing space for mids in the contest, etc).
Fingers crossed Sweet follows the same development path.

Ben Hudson looked rough as guts when he was 23, 24 (hence "Our Mastermind" wouldn't draft him) but was aggressive and really really good at all the small things rucks don't get stats for (blocks, pushes, clearing space for mids in the contest, etc).
Fingers crossed Sweet follows the same development path.
Ben was also a renowned "yapper" on field, I think I remember Bob saying :)

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I really like the look of this kid. The way he seeks out body contact is something that just cannot be taught.
If he is focused and gets his fitness right he will be a weapon for us.
Reminds me of Big Will in his debut game at Princess Park when he ended Barnaby French's career

Back