Toast Welcome to the kennel Rhylee West

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the agility is key to his work inside 50, he also finished top 10 for vertical leap too which is a bit surprising, he’s really not too bad athletically, I think he’s a bit underrated in that regard.

He ran 3 seconds flat over 20m which is above average too. Top end speed needs some improvement, but he's not a bad athlete overall.

He ran 3 seconds flat over 20m which is above average too. Top end speed needs some improvement, but he's not a bad athlete overall.
Nice I was looking for his 20m stats couldn’t find em - was thinking he’d be around the mark of 3 seconds. More than adequate burst on his first few steps for an inside midfielder, I’ve been surprised when people call him slow.

Edit: my previous post was meant to say agility is key to his work inside the contest* 🤪

Nice I was looking for his 20m stats couldn’t find em - was thinking he’d be around the mark of 3 seconds. More than adequate burst on his first few steps for an inside midfielder, I’ve been surprised when people call him slow.

Edit: my previous post was meant to say agility is key to his work inside the contest* 🤪
`
I remember a lot of people called Macrae really slow early on too. Yet he's actually quite quick over 20m (2.95) and elite over 5 - 10m testing in the top 7%. The problem was he didn't have the endurance to do sprints repeatedly in a game so it's why I think people thought he was slow. He tested in the bottom 23% for endurance and bottom 6% for repeat sprints. It's taken him some years, but I now haven't seen or heard anyone call him slow anymore.

I think it could be the same for West. I don't have all his testing results, but I know he didn't do well in the endurance test from memory.

`
I remember a lot of people called Macrae really slow early on too. Yet he's actually quite quick over 20m (2.95) and elite over 5 - 10m testing in the top 7%. The problem was he didn't have the endurance to do sprints repeatedly in a game so it's why I think people thought he was slow. He tested in the bottom 23% for endurance and bottom 6% for repeat sprints. It's taken him some years, but I now haven't seen or heard anyone call him slow anymore.

I think it could be the same for West. I don't have all his testing results, but I know he didn't do well in the endurance test from memory.
Yeah good point, interesting stats on Macrae, I wouldn’t have though he was that quick over a short distance. I think it’s also the way he plays a bit where he doesn’t really play at full speed - more of a calm & composed style of play, which gives off the impression of being slow.

Great news.

Absolute joke that he was dropped at the end of the season, hopefully the last time he is out of the ones for a while.
1 behind, 5 marks in his last 3 games and 4 tackles in his last 2. He was particularly poor against Fremantle, his second last game. His form dropped off in those last 3 games (Geelong, Fremantle, GWS). His performances weren't good enough to justify continued selection.

1 behind, 5 marks in his last 3 games and 4 tackles in his last 2. He was particularly poor against Fremantle, his second last game. His form dropped off in those last 3 games (Geelong, Fremantle, GWS). His performances weren't good enough to justify continued selection.

Still think he plays ahead of a couple others who continually get chances

DFA - Clay Smith - Rhylee West
I still think you can find room for a maniac in the F50. Expecting Rhyee to get a few CBAs to help with rotations. Attack on the ball carrier and good hands, kind of Libba/Viney lite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got a couple of very good AFL level skills (quick hands and hardness) and has decent vision. We can definitely find a way to make him into a very good footballer while minimising his weaknesses

Anyone have any idea why he faded out in his last few games? I don't.
However I'd be more comfortable if I knew it was something short term like an injury or the after-effects of Covid.

A player who has been in the system for a few seasons should be able to see out a season without a drop-off.

If we're talking a bigger and more demanding role for him in 2023 he needs to have the stamina and mentally toughness to see out games and the season. I'm not saying he doesn't have that - I just don't know - but there's obviously a question to be answered there.

Anyone have any idea why he faded out in his last few games? I don't.
However I'd be more comfortable if I knew it was something short term like an injury or the after-effects of Covid.

A player who has been in the system for a few seasons should be able to see out a season without a drop-off.

If we're talking a bigger and more demanding role for him in 2023 he needs to have the stamina and mentally toughness to see out games and the season. I'm not saying he doesn't have that - I just don't know - but there's obviously a question to be answered there.
I think the fade-outs a bit overblown to be completely honest, it was only really the last two games his output was very poor in - and they were GWS & Freo and frankly two awfullll games to be a forward in. We say the same thing about Cody that he’s too inconsistent, it’s just hard to peform week in week out as a small forward, and Westy isn’t even really a natural forward he’s a bit makeshift.

He laid 9 tackles, 3 inside 50 the week before against Geelong. Even against GWS he still had 13 touches & would have been 2 direct goal assists if Hunter didn’t butcher a lace out mark 10m out from goal.

So I’m not sure what people expect, he is a 15 game kid learning a new position after all. Admittedly his pressure dropped off which is what he needs to build his game around and is probably why he was dropped. Personally across a season I’d want him to average 10 touches half of them SI’s, 15 PAs, 4 tackles & a goal a game as a reasonable expectation of his output for position.

Some runs through the midfield to get him involved in the game when he’s struggling would be both beneficial to him & the team, it’s how I’d expect him to improve next season

I think the fade-outs a bit overblown to be completely honest, it was only really the last two games his output was very poor in - and they were GWS & Freo and frankly two awfullll games to be a forward in. We say the same thing about Cody that he’s too inconsistent, it’s just hard to peform week in week out as a small forward, and Westy isn’t even really a natural forward he’s a bit makeshift.

He laid 9 tackles, 3 inside 50 the week before against Geelong. Even against GWS he still had 13 touches & would have been 2 direct goal assists if Hunter didn’t butcher a lace out mark 10m out from goal.

So I’m not sure what people expect, he is a 15 game kid learning a new position after all. Admittedly his pressure dropped off which is what he needs to build his game around and is probably why he was dropped. Personally across a season I’d want him to average 10 touches half of them SI’s, 15 PAs, 4 tackles & a goal a game as a reasonable expectation of his output for position.

Some runs through the midfield to get him involved in the game when he’s struggling would be both beneficial to him & the team, it’s how I’d expect him to improve next season
Fair enough. The general commentary here seemed to be he wasn't performing (I didn't see all of those games).

Cody Weightman is a different story. Pretty remarkable he was able to play the next week and see out the season after dislocating his elbow. I can't even say for sure his game dropped off but my impression was he didn't bob up in the play quite as often after the injury. For the most part his stats were still as good as, if not better than, before his injury (except for CMs). Hope the off-season surgery is a success. I think he is actually a pretty consistent player when fit.

There are no doubt things for Weightman to improve on but firstly both he and the club need to agree on how they see his role. He might not end up becoming the small crumber we were hoping for, even if he happens to kick 30-40 goals a season (36 this year). We probably just assumed he was a small crumbing forward able to put on lots of defensive pressure because he was (a) small and (b) a forward. Not all short forwards can be like Cyril Rioli.

As for West I'm sorry but his age is not an excuse for inconsistency any more. He's 22 and older than Cody.

Fair enough. The general commentary here seemed to be he wasn't performing (I didn't see all of those games).

Cody Weightman is a different story. Pretty remarkable he was able to play the next week and see out the season after dislocating his elbow. I can't even say for sure his game dropped off but my impression was he didn't bob up in the play quite as often after the injury. For the most part his stats were still as good as, if not better than, before his injury (except for CMs). Hope the off-season surgery is a success. I think he is actually a pretty consistent player when fit.

There are no doubt things for Weightman to improve on but firstly both he and the club need to agree on how they see his role. He might not end up becoming the small crumber we were hoping for, even if he happens to kick 30-40 goals a season (36 this year). We probably just assumed he was a small crumbing forward able to put on lots of defensive pressure because he was (a) small and (b) a forward. Not all short forwards can be like Cyril Rioli.

As for West I'm sorry but his age is not an excuse for inconsistency any more. He's 22 and older than Cody.
I actually agree on Cody, more just threw up his name as an example as the consensus on here seems to be that he either goes big or does nothing and is ‘inconsistent’ which isn’t really fair as he’s not going to be kicking 5 every week. He kicked multiple goals in half of his games this year and only didn’t hit the scoreboard in 3 games (one being the one you mentioned where he shouldn’t have even played)

Plus his defensive output is very consistent IMO, agree that his role needs to be defined. Doesn’t necessarily mean he has to be a crumbing forward he just has to be taught/told when to fly & when to stay down.

In regards to West age doesn’t necessarily equal experience though to be fair. He’s spent all of his juniors as a mid, all of his VFL as a mid (mainly anyway, he’s always rested forward there) and played roughly 15-20 games at AFL level in an unnatural position so I think we can cut him some slack for a bit of inconsistency, only have to look at a guy like Ed Richards who struggled big time for consistency there.

He’s very see ball get ball and that’s not necessarily something that you can get away with playing as a small forward, he needs to learn to get himself more easy opportunities and that will help him pad out the stats sheet and be more consistent week to week, but tbh he was very consistent when he came into the side - just had a drop off for a couple of weeks towards the end.

Anyway not disagreeing with you but just feel he shouldn’t be judged as a 23 yo with 80 odd games behind him coming into his prime but as a 15-20 game player finding his feet, because that’s what he is giving his lack of opportunities IMO (through no fault of his own, has banged the door down at VFL level for years)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back