Toast Welcome to the Kennel Sam Lloyd - 2019 Leading Goal Kicker

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah opportunistic trades are great - you trade on favourable terms or not at all.

the trouble starts when you must trade to fill a glaring hole in your structure

We're getting really good at these cheap moneyball trades. Lloyd has been an excellent pickup for us, and I think he's out performed a certain ex bulldog forward in 2019.

Lets get another Duryea, Lloyd, Crozier, or Suckling this year. They cost nothing, but give their all.
There are plenty of these types around the league who would cost a late 2nd at best, but are teetering on the edge of their club's 22 (some in, some out). The ones I can think of include:
  • Jake Kelly
  • Tom Cutler
  • Pat Kerr
  • Michael Hartley
  • Ryan Nyhuis
  • Sam Day
  • Sam Frost (definitely in Melbourne's 22, but out of contract)
  • Jack Newnes
Some of these blokes are obviously far better prospects than others, but they'd all come relatively cheap in trade value (some free agents) and I could see them playing a role in our side. Nyhuis looks like a potentially delisting, so he could even come free.

It's all great to chase after stars, but we've drafted well enough in the last 7-8 years to have the core of a competitive team. We do need to add to our spine a bit (hence guys like Kerr, Hartley, Day and Frost) but otherwise I'd look to add guys like Duryea, Crozier and Lloyd who were barely best 22 at their old clubs, but easily among our best players this year after a change of scenery and role

How smart was his first goal against Melbourne? Just fond a way to keep it in when it was going through for a behind then managed to just get it through the big sticks. Super smart in front of goals, you can't teach that.

How smart was his first goal against Melbourne? Just fond a way to keep it in when it was going through for a behind then managed to just get it through the big sticks. Super smart in front of goals, you can't teach that.

Was very clever but I thought his first goal he should’ve been pinged for too many steps. Think he took 16 or so running into the goals. Was pretty lucky to get away with it.

Was very clever but I thought his first goal he should’ve been pinged for too many steps. Think he took 16 or so running into the goals. Was pretty lucky to get away with it.

The rule is 15 meters, you can take as many steps as you want. Yeah he should have been pinged, but they never enforce that rule. I think it should be changed to 20m, and they should enforce it the same way they do now. At least then it would be consistent.

There are plenty of these types around the league who would cost a late 2nd at best, but are teetering on the edge of their club's 22 (some in, some out). The ones I can think of include:
  • Jake Kelly
  • Tom Cutler
  • Pat Kerr
  • Michael Hartley
  • Ryan Nyhuis
  • Sam Day
  • Sam Frost (definitely in Melbourne's 22, but out of contract)
  • Jack Newnes
Some of these blokes are obviously far better prospects than others, but they'd all come relatively cheap in trade value (some free agents) and I could see them playing a role in our side. Nyhuis looks like a potentially delisting, so he could even come free.

It's all great to chase after stars, but we've drafted well enough in the last 7-8 years to have the core of a competitive team. We do need to add to our spine a bit (hence guys like Kerr, Hartley, Day and Frost) but otherwise I'd look to add guys like Duryea, Crozier and Lloyd who were barely best 22 at their old clubs, but easily among our best players this year after a change of scenery and role
I’d love Sam Day, but I would fill a little guilty taking from Gold Coast: the young players up there would be doing it hard. Even though I like GWS I would love to get Tomlinson.

I’d love Sam Day, but I would fill a little guilty taking from Gold Coast: the young players up there would be doing it hard. Even though I like GWS I would love to get Tomlinson.
Yeah it's pretty rough taking experienced players from a team even younger than ours, but we have to make moves where possible. He's a free agent now, and they'd be fairly compensated for him. Not to mention there's almost no doubt they'll be receiving some sort of assistance again this year, whether it be a priority pick, extra cap space, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back