Toast Welcome to the kennel Treloar

Remove this Banner Ad

There won't be a whole lot spoken about it, but Treloar v GFS adds an extra ingredient to the existing Bulldogs - Greater Frankenstein Sydney rivalry.

In Treloar's final game for GFS, he played with Ward, Greene and Kelly. They appear to be the only three teammates from that match who we will come up against this week.

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
yes I get that. But it’s widely reported that Treloar’s salary is $900k per year. Collingwood is now paying $300k per year of that and we have the rest.
Is your understanding different? Your post confused me a bit
Yes, that’s my understanding as well.
His market rate is $600k. In fact, a lot of us were even questioning whether he was worth that much given his kicking and hamstring issues. Certainly no other club was looking to pay any more (for 5 years as well!) and we were his only option.
$900k was never what he was worth. Anything above $600k is Collingwood paying back past salary he was owed and really should have nothing to do with us.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
His market rate is $600k. In fact, a lot of us were even questioning whether he was worth that much given his kicking and hamstring issues. Certainly no other club was looking to pay any more (for 5 years as well!) and we were his only option.
$900k was never what he was worth. Anything above $600k is Collingwood paying back past salary he was owed and really should have nothing to do with us.
A bit of common sense over triumphalism.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hawks were after him too
He wouldn't have fit the Hawthorn recruiting strategy. Besides Tom Mitchell, in recent years they're all about being a destination club for once promising but now broken down players who are past or will never reach their full potential.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not sure if that's really the case. I think he'd probably command around 750k in a new contract if he put himself in the market. Is an elite midfielder and had been consistently bar one injury affected year and is still reasonably young.
The issue Collingwood has was that he wanted to go to a contender and stay in Victoria which really meant us, Richmond, Geelong and maybe St Kilda. Richmond didn't have the cap space. Geelong was committed to Cameron and St Kilda to Crouch so Collingwood has to deal with us for Treloar to agree to a trade.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He wouldn't have fit the Hawthorn recruiting strategy. Besides Tom Mitchell, in recent years they're all about being a destination club for once promising but now broken down players who are past or will never reach their full potential.

They will be back sooner rather than later.

Never done for long in my lifetime and I don’t expect that to change

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Their list is a fair way off it. As soon as Clarko departs they won't be a destination club anymore.

They have won flags consistently for the last 40 odd years.

Clarkson hasn’t away been there. I back them to get up again

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results

But yeah, they probably will bounce back (as usual) reasonably quickly despite the hole they appear to be in right now. Would be nice if they don't win one this decade, having managed it every decade since the 60s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm history agrees with you but I just think they are in such a hole. They are 17th on the ladder but only had 3 players under 21 play on Sunday.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Yes - that is essentially correct.
Although there may still be a GC priority pick floating around and picks move around so much with bids that the exact value is hard to calculate.

Not a bad bit of business.
And theyre still paying 1/3rd of his salary. Brilliant move dogs.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
GWS has become a nursery for lots of other clubs, even North, Aiden Corr, the only Corr who couldn’t sing, begorrah, why shouldn’t the ‘Dogs get in on the rort ? Line in the sand ? Leave that to Essendon and Hawthorn.

Wheels announced that the ‘Dogs would not be trampled on with his parachute jump into the bay, off Williamstown. It was supposed to recreate the sense of need to overcome inner fears to win a Final. I’d love to be a fly on the wall at the next reunion of the 1993 team. Coaches earn more than the Prime Minister. In 2007- -2010, the ‘Dogs played finals, 3 prelims, that’s not a Club that had to demonstrate anything to the rest of the Competition, that need disappeared after 1989. Aker and Hall were happy to be recruited, whatever supporters of other Clubs might think, at the AFL, nobody doubts our Club’s seriousness.

Following the 2007 – 2010 finals, the Club appointed Dalrymple and Jason McCartney to recruit. Demetriou told Gordon that Boyd was and would be a once-in-a-generation forward. Gordon accepted that view, can't blame him for accepting the advice of the CEO of the AFL and he might have even looked at Boyd’s teeth (is that obscure enough ?) They recruited Clay Smith & Dickson (2011), Stringer (2012), Macrae (2013), Bont (2014). I wonder if Bont and Boyd ever chiacked each other about their positions in the draft ? Tom was in and out, mainly out, in 2014. I recall seeing him in our game against GWS. The most important recruitment at the end of 2014 was Bev.

There’s an article floating ‘round in these threads, I can’t find it now, about the plan to recruit a key GWS forward, hatched in 2012 which involved managing the list payments to be able to recruit the gun forward for the 2016 season, Cameron, from memory. The defection of the Club captain to GWS a year too soon offered an opportunity. Imagine what we’d have been prepared to pay the following year ! We prepaid Tom. Had he played out his 10 years or whatever, he’d now be in receipt of the salary of an over rated gun forward until 2024.

In 2015, with us, Tom received a Rising Star nomination. He was dropped and not recalled after the 16th round, receiving $1 mil plus p a, playing VFL. During 2016, Tom did little as a gun forward. The Club was headed for humiliation. Bev saw ‘round the ground capacity and played Tom in the ruck.

Treloar was ‘picked’ a year earlier by GWS. C’wood did the same as us, looked at winning a Flag by bringing in GWS fodder. Treloar was an immediate success with C’wood, unlike Tom with us.. Treloar was underpaid for the first few years. Sliding Doors. Tom plays a blinder in 2016, win, he’s now St Thomas. Treloar plays a blinder in 2019 but C’wood lose, he’s now an unaffordable commodity.

Cheer up, Adam, you are in a better place.

Just a few things:
Club was keen to draft Boyd but the cost of Griffin & pick 4 (Bont) was too great.
Club was never into Cameron, they were into Patton. It’s one of the reasons Patton was so sour about the Boyd deal.
Bev didn’t come up with the idea of an around the ground ruckman for Tom. Tom played as a ruckman before being moved to full forward late in his youth development.
Tom makes a better ruckman than forward.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Just a few things:
Club was keen to draft Boyd but the cost of Griffin & pick 4 (Bont) was too great.
Club was never into Cameron, they were into Patton.....
You are probably right about Patton, it's a while since I read the article but are you sure about the Club wanting to draft Tom but wouldn't trade Griffin and pick 4 ? Both Tom and Bont were drafted in October 2013 and Griffin appointed captain in December. It was the following year that Griffin left, the end of 2014 when the trade of Tom for Griffin and pick 6 was done. Did GWS ask for Griffin and pick 4 for pick 1 in 2013 ?

Last edited:

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You are probably right about Patton, it's a while since I read the article but are you sure about the Club wanting to draft Tom but wouldn't trade Griffin and pick 4 ? Both Tom and Bont were drafted in October 2013 and Griffin appointed captain in December. It was the following year that Griffin left, the end of 2014 when the trade of Tom for Griffin and pick 6 was done. Did GWS ask for Griffin and pick 4 in 2013 ?

Yes, very sure. It was confirmed in the media a few years later.
GWS started conversations with Griffin the year before & he thought about moving all year. He hated the GeelongFanBoyCockKnuckle we had as coach. Griffin knew he would get top dollar at GWS. When his back got worse, he knew he would never get the same money elsewhere. Going pig shooting and not being able to do a medical actually benefited us a lot.
I still think GWS would have taken Griffin and our second round pick, rather than our first rounder.... but our crappy list manager didn’t have the balls.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Treloar is the biggest trade steal we have ever got. And yes, that includes T Boyd. Treloar will probably keep Dunkley at the dogs too.... Just think about a midfield with Macrae, Bont, Dunkley, Treloar, Libba and Smith locked in for the next few years.

That is our Fab 6!

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
They will be back sooner rather than later.

Never done for long in my lifetime and I don’t expect that to change
They were bog average from the early 90s till they plucked one in 2008. If it wasn't for the Roughhead/Franklin/Lewis draft we wouldn't have seen the threepeat.

How they draft over the next couple of years will determine whether they spend a decade or so in the wilderness like the 90s/00s.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We still did extremely well. Getting a gun player at Market rates for bugger all draft picks was 10% class and 90% ass.

Opportunism. Nothing wrong with that. These things happen - croziers, treloars, bruces, etc... Being in a situation with the salary cap to take advantage of them is a good thing.

Whats rubbish is desperately being in need of a type of player to fill a bad hole in the list and overpaying or constantly trading for spuds just because they fit the role. We know what thats like.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
and without shafting C'wood. 60 % class, Sam Power doesn't blink.

sam-power-the-list-manager-at-the-bulldogs-speaks-to-the-media-during-picture-id1179501629

Sam Power sleeping

Remove this Banner Ad

Back