Toast Welcome to the kennel Vandermeer

Remove this Banner Ad

where the hell did Power find this guy? Was he on anyone’s list when drafted? He seems to be a spec pick that is paying off in spades. His speed and long kicking is fantastic and exactly what we need on a wing. This kid is proof that you need professional recruiters because he’s come from the clouds to be one of our most important players in his debut year.
Well done Power on unearthing a gem

where the hell did Power find this guy? Was he on anyone’s list when drafted? He seems to be a spec pick that is paying off in spades. His speed and long kicking is fantastic and exactly what we need on a wing. This kid is proof that you need professional recruiters because he’s come from the clouds to be one of our most important players in his debut year.
At Richmond Austin was in charge of looking at older talent and given he didn’t get drafted his U18 year, I’m assuming it was an Austin pick. Given Smith and West essentially picked themselves, it was his first real live pick and he looks to have nailed it.

If Butler and Weightman go on to have good careers we will look back at Austin as a really good recruiter and no wonder Carlton poached him.

The pace of Vandermeer and Richards and the ground they cover as forwards covering up space defensively should not be underestimated. Check Richards pressure acts each games, always in our top few. They don't need to get heaps of possession yet someone has to do what I call the "yo-yo" chase when 1 forward against two defenders and these guys do it well. Its a different game today, everyone has a role.

At Richmond Austin was in charge of looking at older talent and given he didn’t get drafted his U18 year, I’m assuming it was an Austin pick. Given Smith and West essentially picked themselves, it was his first real live pick and he looks to have nailed it.

If Butler and Weightman go on to have good careers we will look back at Austin as a really good recruiter and no wonder Carlton poached him.
Was having a great year as an overage player then got injured which might have helped him to fly under the radar. If he had a full champs series he might have gone a bit earlier.

Vanders outstanding again last night. Doesn’t have big numbers but more often than not makes the right decision and has an impact when needed.
We have guys who can rack up big numbers. What we need from our younger guys is quality rather than quantity. Vanders and Richards both provide that.
Mentioned elsewhere that both are ranking pretty well for pressure acts too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They way he neutralized the ball late in the game outnumbered was very good for a player who hasn't even played ten games.
Very, very few on our list are capable of pulling that off. Genuine game winning play right there. Shane Biggs 2.0

I was keen on rookie listing him a year before we drafted him. He was raw back then. Didn't have a tank at that stage and his kicking was pretty inconsistent. Still needs to work on those shorter kicks and his goal kicking, but those longer kicks are deadly and his overall rate of improvement has been immense. With Morris now gone, he's fast becoming my favourite player.

Last edited:
I love that him and Baz are always looking for opportunities to give our opponents a bit of a shove or a bit of trash talk. I don't like violence but I love the niggling and sledging side of the game. I bet Libba loves that he's finally got some mates.

Yep we need more like them. It doesn’t come natural to some of our team so it’s good to see in some young players

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

He’ll be even better when he hits targets most of the time instead of some of the time. ...
I feel that way about Billy Gowers. (Maybe I'm taking a bit of licence with "some of the time".)

Isn’t overly refined and has a lot to work on if he’s to have a long career but that play in the final quarter should earn him a lot of respect.

love his mongrel, needs to tidy up his skills

Someone compared him to Shane Biggs, never forget. I lean more towards a young Clay Smith, bit of mongrel, backs himself. If he gets as good as Clay minus the knees I will be thrilled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back