Toast Welcome to the kennel Vandermeer

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone compared him to Shane Biggs, never forget. I lean more towards a young Clay Smith, bit of mongrel, backs himself. If he gets as good as Clay minus the knees I will be thrilled.
Already has plenty more pace than Clay, and a more penetrating kick, so its a good foundation. VDM's long kicks and Bailey Williams' long kicks are very similar. Direct and get through the air quickly.

I know there's a "Best First Year Player" award. Anyone know if Vanders would qualify given that it's his first year playing, or if it's just new draftees? Because he's earned it.

I know there's a "Best First Year Player" award. Anyone know if Vanders would qualify given that it's his first year playing, or if it's just new draftees? Because he's earned it.

Probably not but he should get a rising star nom at some point soon

This guy is the real deal. Ferocious, quick, skillful, and tops it all off with a fantastic read of the game - he just knows where to be already. I genuinely believe he has the skillset to become one of the better wing/forwards in the league if he can stay on the park. Fast becoming one of my favourite players.

Btw - he leads the AFL in repeat sprints after three rounds, with 14 (second best is 10), and is equal third for total sprints with 35 (equal first have 36). He's critical to that forward 6 at the minute as our forwards have a tendency to be stagnant - he's the one that always keeps moving and sets the standard for work rate. Good on him.

His first season at VFL level was very promising, amor as promising as you can get without debuting. He's now playing the exact same way at AFL level

You’d have to think that the injuries are the only thing that may keep VDM in the team. Another worrying performance last night. Such a drop in form. Really hope he can sort it out because he clearly has potential.

Actually according to Bevo he has his own injury concerns and is likely to miss next week. Might explain why he was so poor.

You’d have to think that the injuries are the only thing that may keep VDM in the team. Another worrying performance last night. Such a drop in form. Really hope he can sort it out because he clearly has potential.
Will be an interesting selection. There is a lot to work with but he’s not the first young player to have a dip in form. Don’t know whether he is better off in the 2’s for a bit or staying at the top level.

Actually according to Bevo he has his own injury concerns and is likely to miss next week. Might explain why he was so poor.
He tweaked his back in the first quarter after missing last week with back spasms. Bravely played out the game but it would explain his sudden drop in speed and form

You’d have to think that the injuries are the only thing that may keep VDM in the team.
This makes sense. When I read MTs post it struck me as curious that a few weeks ago the post would have read "injuries are the only thing that will keep him OUT of the team". It has been a quick fall from grace and an ongoing injury niggle might explain it.

There's plenty of time to get it right and no urgency - there's a long queue of candidates to do a good job in his place. A two week rest wouldn't hurt at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw him in the vfl a few times last year. He is seriously quick - a couple of times had me thinking he was amongst the quickest players I’ve ever seen, and faster than Jj.

Saw him in the vfl a few times last year. He is seriously quick - a couple of times had me thinking he was amongst the quickest players I’ve ever seen, and faster than Jj.
The scary thing is that he has been fighting niggles pretty much constantly. What would his capabilities be if he gets a consistent fair run at it from his body over a full season?

The scary thing is that he has been fighting niggles pretty much constantly. What would his capabilities be if he gets a consistent fair run at it from his body over a full season?
I suspect he's one of those explosive fast-twitch players that we just have to manage and accept we'll never get 20+ games a year from. A bit like Wood. I know his latest injury is different (knee scrape out) but most of his problems seem to have been muscular ones. Not uncommon with speedy athletes.

Remember Kritter? I don't think he was especially fast but he too had year after year of hamstring problems and they eventually worked out a regime that kept him playing more often than he was on the sidelines. Same deal with VDM I reckon.

His hammies and his decision making are the things holding him back. A spot on the wing is his if he can keep his body right and not get aggro.

His hammies and his decision making are the things holding him back. A spot on the wing is his if he can keep his body right and not get aggro.

Or keep the aggression but temper it, having a quick player who can hit the body in a tackle and make it hurt is nice but his main form of aggression is just giving away silly frees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back