#19 - Fraser Rosman - Pick 34

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh if someone can get 5-10 good touches across HFF and hold their own defensively they belong in our best 22 imo.
Right and there's also a bunch of players with senior experience on the list that could be capable of doing that aswell.

I really like the look of Rosman but I'd be bloody surprised if he was ready for round 1

It’s not a particularly high bar even for most draftees. There’s plenty of room for role players in our side.
This is pointless as *, projecting that people that have never played senior footy can do something better than blokes that have previously done it at AFL level is silly without any evidence.

It’s not a particularly high bar even for most draftees. There’s plenty of room for role players in our side.
Exactly, I don't think Rosman plays round 1 but the other two do. We are stacked with top end talent and superstars but we don't have the role players required to win a flag ala Richmond. Bowey and Laurie are competing with Melksham, AVB, ANB, Jones. Melksham is a lock if he gets somewhere near his 2018 form. AVB is tough and plays hard but doesn't have the class required to play forward. ANB is a spud who should've been delisted and Jones is cooked. If the draftees prove they can compete and get a few touches and hit Brown on the lead a couple times a game then they don't have to get past much.

This is pointless as fu**, projecting that people that have never played senior footy can do something better than blokes that have previously done it at AFL level is silly without any evidence.
I haven’t projected anything, you’re imagining things.

Exactly, I don't think Rosman plays round 1 but the other two do. We are stacked with top end talent and superstars but we don't have the role players required to win a flag ala Richmond. Bowey and Laurie are competing with Melksham, AVB, ANB, Jones. Melksham is a lock if he gets somewhere near his 2018 form. AVB is tough and plays hard but doesn't have the class required to play forward. ANB is a spud who should've been delisted and Jones is cooked. If the draftees prove they can compete and get a few touches and hit Brown on the lead a couple times a game then they don't have to get past much.
Kozzie was able to slot in fairly well and add to our front half. Bowey and Laurie could also do that. Mightn't play every game and they might tag-team in the side a bit, but tbh would rather either of them on HFF/FP than ANB/AVB/Jones as you say. Melk was very ordinary the past couple of years too so might be jumped during the season too. At least it puts pressure on those blokes to perform.

Brown, Weid, Fritsch, Kozzie, Jackson, Hunt and Melk

Which of those get booted for 18 year olds in round 1?
Hunt and melk. Going off this year's form. By a fair margin too.

Hunt and melk. Going off this year's form. By a fair margin too.
Well Hunt was one of our best in the last game and kicked 3 so that seems unlikely and Melks one of Goody's favourites and Goodys under extreme pressure. Knocking them for 2 blokes who might not even be able to stick a tackle.

Well Hunt was one of our best in the last game and kicked 3 so that seems unlikely and Melks one of Goody's favourites and Goodys under extreme pressure. Knocking them for 2 blokes who might not even be able to stick a tackle.
Weren't those 3 goals all in the goal square, plus he's trash. If goody wants to be ruthless then he has to stop playing favourites and pick the best team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've banged on about that Port draft that got them Rozee, Butters and Duursma and how that shot them back up the ladder, reinvigorated their older players and gave them much needed footy smarts at ground level, skill, agility and a touch of arrogance.

Don't think we can expect the same level of output given our draft hand compared to theirs (3 picks inside the top 18) - BUT - we have targetted similar types.
Footy IQ, X-factor, decision making, skill, agility (Laurie and Bowey) and Rosman as the Duursma type atheltic, hard running wing/half forward that can kick a goal.

I'm obviously projecting a bit, but there's positions available for these guys in the 22 if they have a strong pre-season. Hunt, Spargo, ANB, AVB, Baker are all looking very vulnerable at this stage as outside/half forward types. None instill a lot of confidence. Kozzie showed if you have the talent you can play a role in the front half early days.

I really like the look of Rosman but I'd be bloody surprised if he was ready for round 1
This, Rosman played 2 games at TAC cup level in 2019 and averaged 8 disposals. At least Bowey and Laurie were regulars at TAC cup level in 2019.

Apparently Rosman played well in the practice games early this year but he basically only been a regular local level junior player, it’s a big jump to play round 1 AFL.

how are we ready now compared to 19-20?

Ben Brown? Another year into Trac, Oliver, Lever, Weideman etc. Not saying we're going to compete, but we're definitely looking more ready.

Can't really compare 19 and 20 either. 19 was 5w/17l and 20 was 9w/8l.

I usually get concerned when a coach has his back against the wall and needs short term results.

Agree with Topkent here though - Goody needs early wins and our list is ready for that. There are no excuses around playing kids for the long term - we just desperately need to win games with what we’ve got this year.
If he needs early wins playing blokes who’ve been hugely out of form since 2018 if they don’t show any improvement in the preseason might not be the best strategy if the draftees look better.

Brown, Weid, Fritsch, Kozzie, Jackson, Hunt and Melk

Which of those get booted for 18 year olds in round 1?
Hunt or Melk. Jackson maybe if we want a smaller look? Or move him around the ground.
They might start off the bench initially but one of Bowey or Laurie I'd expect to see in the 22 round 1.

If he needs early wins playing blokes who’ve been hugely out of form since 2018 if they don’t show any improvement in the preseason might not be the best strategy if the draftees look better.

My point is that I’m not worried about him not blooding kids if he doesn’t think they are best 22.

Just coach to win the most possible games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back