Player Watch Shane McAdam

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Shane working out at the local gym with Sam Petrevski-Seton today, gives the indication he's taking his promotion to an AFL list seriously.

In Melbourne?

If he can get his fitness base up in the offseason I wouldn’t be surprised if McAdam played majority of games in 2019.

We sorely missed Cameron’s defensive pressure this year and McAdam was flagged by Cal Twomey in one of his podcasts as the best pressure forward in the draft.

With McGovern gone, I would think that McAdam and Fogarty will get a few games for us next year. Could be a pretty exciting forward line once again.

Would be a big win if he had a Liam Ryan like impact for us in 2019.
And less of the off field rubbish. Liam is lucky to have gotten a flag in his first year, he looks like hes off the rails.

So Buckley and Collingwood were heavily into Shane McAdam we now find.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/b1059835780e6df851538a0641e783c8

McAdam finished 2018 heavily chased by four AFL clubs — Gold Coast and Carlton with the special assistance option outside the draft; Adelaide and Collingwood, with Magpies coach Nathan Buckley making a video presentation to McAdam.

He joins the Crows with list manager Justin Reid marking him a top-20 draft prospect had Adelaide not taken the opportunity to grab him, via the Mitch McGovern trade to Carlton.

That 4.28 ride from Wangaratta is now the best move McAdam has made, hoping no-one would see him run … until the next one unfolds through an opposition defence at Adelaide Oval or the MCG.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/b1059835780e6df851538a0641e783c8

McAdam finished 2018 heavily chased by four AFL clubs — Gold Coast and Carlton with the special assistance option outside the draft; Adelaide and Collingwood, with Magpies coach Nathan Buckley making a video presentation to McAdam.

He joins the Crows with list manager Justin Reid marking him a top-20 draft prospect had Adelaide not taken the opportunity to grab him, via the Mitch McGovern trade to Carlton.

That 4.28 ride from Wangaratta is now the best move McAdam has made, hoping no-one would see him run … until the next one unfolds through an opposition defence at Adelaide Oval or the MCG.

Wonder if uncle Gilbert helped him decide by telling him a story about one time he played the Pies at vic park back in 1993. Maybe got his mate Nicky to help tell Shane the story.

Wonder if uncle Gilbert helped him decide by telling him a story about one time he played the Pies at vic park back in 1993. Maybe got his mate Nicky to help tell Shane the story.
https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/node/10188

In 2013, Collingwood Football Club president Eddie McGuire apologised for suggesting on radio that Sydney Swans star Adam Goodes be used to promote the musical King Kong. Days earlier, McGuire himself had apologised to Goodes after a Collingwood fan used the apparent racial slur “ape”.

Lumumba says he was called “chimp” during his years at Collingwood, though he and the club disagree on whether this was an ongoing nickname or a one-off incident.

Great story in the Tiser about where McAdam has come from and what he's done to get this opportunity.

Makes you both optimistic and in his corner
I had a message in the last few weeks about Shane Radbone having a significant part in getting McAdam to the Crows.
Shane would have been alerted to his situation, and taken steps with the contacts he has to help this young man realise his potential.
In my opinion McAdam will give this opportunity his best shot, he has great support already inside the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a message in the last few weeks about Shane Radbone having a significant part in getting McAdam to the Crows.
Shane would have been alerted to his situation, and taken steps with the contacts he has to help this young man realise his potential.
In my opinion McAdam will give this opportunity his best shot, he has great support already inside the club.
I kind of got the impression that Shane Mc was keen to be drafted to Adelaide? Personally I'm hoping he puts his head down and has a genuine crack. Was Radbone a genuine part of that desire, or am I just imagining it all?

West Coast were also sniffing.

I kind of got the impression that Shane Mc was keen to be drafted to Adelaide? Personally I'm hoping he puts his head down and has a genuine crack. Was Radbone a genuine part of that desire, or am I just imagining it all?
It would be great if he wanted to play for us, I dont know personally.

Yeah - you'd have to think the established relationship with Mattner will help. Really excited about the possibilities with this guy - elite speed, agility and leap with footy instincts doesnt come around every day. If he can get the best out of himself, might end up something special.

I'm pretty bullish about McAdam and his potential given his story. Talent-wise he's a no-brainer. The fact that he's had to make a real decision to commit to first getting drafted in a relatively short space of time, and that he is now in an ultra professional environment gives me great hope that he can be an important cog next season an beyond.

I'm pretty bullish about McAdam and his potential given his story. Talent-wise he's a no-brainer. The fact that he's had to make a real decision to commit to first getting drafted in a relatively short space of time, and that he is now in an ultra professional environment gives me great hope that he can be an important cog next season an beyond.

Yeah this is what I am bullish about as well. More and more as time goes on. When I first saw him against the crows he really stood out, but I kind of dismissed him as an AFL hopeful because I figured he must have been about 27/28. Then I heard he was 23 and was like, wow, this kid might be good for a rookie spot or a late draft pick. Next minute, he is being talked about as a late 1st round/early 2nd round pick. Then you start to take notice and get the background and he becomes even more interesting as a prospect. Firstly, his combine results in his draft year were elite in terms of his pace, agility and his leap. He backs the latter up in the SANFL with at least one incredible mark too. Combine results on their own dont mean much, but often the really top talents are crushing them as well as backing them up on the field. Next we get the picture of his back story and realise that to get this chance with the Crows he has really committed to the cause. He has done the hard yards to get his chance so you just feel he isnt going to take it for granted. You really have to go all in to be a pro sportsman. Talent just gets you in the door, then you have to work for it. I really get a good feeling about how he has got here. Seems to have that really top end talent that first rounders have and yet he has overcome some key risks and question marks that 18 year olds come with.

After the goings on at our club in the past 12 months, I don't know if we can really call it an ultra professional environment :p

But yeah, I am looking forward to seeing if he can take the step up to AFL level - certainly looks like he's got the tools.

I actually think the Shane Radbone story is one we need to hear more of. I'm not sure how or when or why it started, but he has had a significant impact on a number of Indigenous players and in trying to help them get to the AFL.
I know for instance that Tye Bedford spent a lot of time at the Radbone's in his Yr 11 & 12 years.

I'd love to know the full story.

Interesting that the greatest percentage of overagers who end up getting drafted and having an impact are Aboriginal.

Has always stood out to me as a demographic that we can turn to advantage as a club. We face a real, and well documented uphill battle retaining a lot of draftable kids who prefer the big cities.

Then there's another population of extraordinarily athletically gifted kids, who have interest in becoming AFL footballers, but find transitioning from regional communities to city living challenging. Wont work for all of them, but Adelaide - as a smaller city - feels well positioned as a destination of choice for some of these guys. Throw in respected role models like Mcleod and Eddie, and structure programs to be inviting/welcoming to these guys and theres a competitive advantage that can be built if done right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back