Player Watch Shane McAdam

Remove this Banner Ad

Also an interview with Pykey.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/01/23/the-new-crow-to-watch-out-for-in-2019/

Adelaide coach Don Pyke has earmarked mature-aged recruit Shane McAdam as a player to watch out for throughout the 2019 season.

McAdam, 23, joined the Crows along with pick No. 13 and a future fifth-round selection in a three-way trade that saw Mitch McGovern land at Carlton and Sydney secure selections No. 26, 28 and 40
The medium-sized forward scored 31 goals in 17 games for SANFL outfit Sturt last year and caught the eye with his forward line pressure, speed and agility.
“We’re really excited about having Shane (McAdam) on board,” Pyke told SEN Breakfast.
“He’s a mature-aged guy that’s played some good footy at SANFL level. He’s making that transition, as all first-year guys do, between playing at a local level then getting into the AFL.
He’s certainly one to look out for – he’s highly talented, he moves really well and has a great feel for the game.”
McAdam recently spent time in hospital with a bout of gastro but is expected to recover in time for the start of the JLT Community Series.

McAdam suggests he's a long way from starting games. Good to see he's realistic and has desire to succeed but suggests won't have a great deal of impact this year.

https://outline.com/tyYB7v

View attachment 625711
From what I'm told he's at a similar level to when Hugh arrived. He will have an impact this year, no doubt about that. We are forgetting that the guy he replaces had a pretty poor tank too.

But he's a humble kid so it's not surprising to see him talk himself down. I'd still pick him R1 for pure x factor, he isnt going to build fitness in the half forwardline in the SANFL

From what I'm told he's at a similar level to when Hugh arrived. He will have an impact this year, no doubt about that. We are forgetting that the guy he replaces had a pretty poor tank too.

But he's a humble kid so it's not surprising to see him talk himself down. I'd still pick him R1 for pure x factor, he isnt going to build fitness in the half forwardline in the SANFL

Not to mention a pretty poor attitude. Doesn't look like a problem with McAdam

McAdam suggests he's a long way from starting games. Good to see he's realistic and has desire to succeed but suggests won't have a great deal of impact this year.

https://outline.com/tyYB7v

View attachment 625711
hopefully that is until he is fit enough to play at his peak level at afl yet still has enough fitness to be an option who has an impact.

im not expecting him to play rd 1 but more a player who rd 8-10 may start to get a look in and hopefully can grab a spot once he is there

hopefully that is until he is fit enough to play at his peak level at afl yet still has enough fitness to be an option who has an impact.

im not expecting him to play rd 1 but more a player who rd 8-10 may start to get a look in and hopefully can grab a spot once he is there

Could be a serious weapon in September if we develop him properly for the next 3-6 months.

Interesting that McAdam is the same age as Matt Crouch. Almost 24 years old and should be hitting his prime. Hopefully it’s only a 12 month process and he is ready to go next year.
I think for a guy like McAdam its equally about mental toughness. The kids gonna have to learn to trust his body in a way he never had thought possible before. I personally don't know if 12 months is enough. Generally it takes at least 3 preseasons for people to learn to trust their ability to run through the pain of AFL standard football. Some guys are athletically more prepared then others, but even those guys generally falter in the face of a 22 game season.

For McAdam, well I really think we will need to train it into him! 12 months is possible, but I'm thinking 2 years+ would be more realistic!

I would have thought a lite ahead of where Greenwood started given he played Footy with Sturt last year.

Greenwood had not played a game of Footy for a long time before we recruited him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think for a guy like McAdam its equally about mental toughness. The kids gonna have to learn to trust his body in a way he never had thought possible before. I personally don't know if 12 months is enough. Generally it takes at least 3 preseasons for people to learn to trust their ability to run through the pain of AFL standard football. Some guys are athletically more prepared then others, but even those guys generally falter in the face of a 22 game season.

For McAdam, well I really think we will need to train it into him! 12 months is possible, but I'm thinking 2 years+ would be more realistic!
Id assume that CC was pretty underdone for AFL standard when he came to the club too.
His 1st season he got injected, showed a bit of promise (7 games)
Then he went 20, 18, 21 showing progressively more each year and last year looking like things were really clicking for him at Bris before injury.

Its probably similar we would be looking for from McAdam, yet hopefully with the extra age and footy experience (CC hadnt played much footy at all), the hitting his straps happens a bit quicker.

But more the point, if CC could be paying just under half a season in his 1st year then full seasons from year 2, no reason McAdam shouldn't be able to do similar

I would have thought a lite ahead of where Greenwood started given he played Footy with Sturt last year.

Greenwood had not played a game of Footy for a long time before we recruited him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
maybe running numbers may have been similar, yet McAdam footy specific fitness should be higher.
Greenwood would have had a good fitness base, just needed to convert that to AFL type as well as he still had to learn the game again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect he will be someone we manage carefully & likely to play around half the games this year, along with some of the younger guys who won't play the full season.

Yes and no..... I think if McAdam can have a similar impact to what Liam Ryan was able to achieve this year, then that would be ideal. Admittedly McAdam is probably coming a little further back given he gave footy away for a while, but he's got the right mindset it seems.

Falling a touch short of that is probably where I have him right now, which I would still see as a successful first year in the system for him.

Yes and no..... I think if McAdam can have a similar impact to what Liam Ryan was able to achieve this year, then that would be ideal. Admittedly McAdam is probably coming a little further back given he gave footy away for a while, but he's got the right mindset it seems.

Falling a touch short of that is probably where I have him right now, which I would still see as a successful first year in the system for him.
maybe more wilie rioli, it was I think his 2nd year in the system just gone (although injury affected 1st year)

If we can get a few ganes into him in the 2nd half of the season and have him right for the finals that would be a good result. It would also mean teams would have less time to review his game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back